Clicky

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Emmcee

Merc Already Hinting Favouritism If Needed.

I don't think it's a shot at Nico & Lewis, I just think it's a fairly logical and common sense statement, to be honest. Also, in the future the drivers will know if they are asked to move over, or not engage in battle then it's because the team have a reason for doing so.

Yeah. "Could rethink team orders stance" seems misleading (but we all know that's what F1 headlines are for); it sounds more like "team orders stance is more complicated than you've seen because we've only had it one situation."

I'm willing to bet the stance has always been: if you're on your own, race fairly but as hard as you have to. If you have competition, nope, protect the team at all costs.

If that last part is a change, I'm embarrassed that a team that never thought of it until now is doing so well. :lol:

The sites linked to gptoday always have stupid misleading headlines and this is just another one. Merc aren't rethinking their stance at all. Their stance is still 'let them race' but Wolff is merely stating the obvious when he says that if they've got someone like Alonso catching them and they're slowing each other down by fighting, then they could get told to hold station.

The sites linked to gptoday always have stupid misleading headlines and this is just another one. Merc aren't rethinking their stance at all. Their stance is still 'let them race' but Wolff is merely stating the obvious when he says that if they've got someone like Alonso catching them and they're slowing each other down by fighting, then they could get told to hold station.

Yet they also said a few weeks before that team orders are "a terrible thing to do" or something like that.

Every team finds itself in a situation where team orders are desirable or needed. That is why it is really funny that at some moment or other many guys who sohuld know better took this hollier than thou approach to team orders.

Simple, your in a team, you wouldn't be driving if it wasn't for the team and giving you the car. In saying that if one driver is doing quite well and better than his team mate points wise, if necessary the second driver then will make way for the leading driver as a reward for his good effort throughout the season and also help the team benefit from both the circumstances. There is no I in team, but as elegantly as the great Michael Jordan once put it " but, there is I in win"

One of the most unique features in F1 is precisely the dinamic of team orders. Some sports are clearly team sports and some others are clearly "personal" sports (don't know how to say it)

F1 is both and neither. Is not exactly a team sport, as theoretically every driver is there to win. On the other hand, is not a sport composed of individual, independent drivers as they are paired by teams, which are the drivers' "bosses". And they want to maximize their results. They need some sort of coordination for the (not uncommon) situation when drivers' priorities clash against each other.

The fact that such situations are completely unregulated are the source of all that drama in F1. It wouldn't be as intesresting if drivers were forced by the rules to follow team orders, and it was already proven impossible to ban them.

No that's part of the plan, makes for more viewers. F1 loosing viewers so its someone's else's turn to be champ now, until there sick of this person to, to much money invovled

Seb's unprofessionalism does provide us with entertainment & drama, I'll grant him that.

Soon enough we'll all be sick of Lewis winning, but I'll take a brit dominating over a german any day!