Clicky

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

BrisbaneAndy

Raikkonen Should Have Been Punished?

I found this a little surprising, do you get punished for making a mistake and re-entering the track?

I did find this amusing, though: “Of course, everyone can have their opinion,” said the Finn, “but usually it’s people who have never driven who are the first to say someone should be punished.”

Given that the guy criticising him is Niki Lauda, a three time WDC, I found that to be ironic.

I reckon Raikkonen is fantastic, good for the sport and extremely charismatic, but sometimes.....

http://gptoday.com/full_story/view/494344/Raikkonen_hits_back_at_calls_for_Hockenheim_ban/

It seems to be the culture we are in these days - instant criticism, instant blame and in many instances, anonymity from having to stand up and explain their comments.

You would think a 47g crash would be enough punishment, but apparently there are people in the world and ex-F1 drivers, who have never made a mistake in their lives, it seems. I am sure in hindsight, Kimi would probably come back onto the track a little less hot, but then hindsight is a wonderful thing.

I think after a crash like that, we should be grateful that Kimi, any other driver, marshalls or spectators were not hurt and move on.

What was he supposed to do? He went off the track at about 150mph, it's not like he could've pulled up on the grass and stopped.

He did what anyone would've done and rejoined the track, he was just unlucky that there was a bit of a bump where he rejoined.

What was he supposed to do? He went off the track at about 150mph, it's not like he could've pulled up on the grass and stopped.

He did what anyone would've done and rejoined the track, he was just unlucky that there was a bit of a bump where he rejoined.

Just prooves IMO he doesn't take to much notice in his track walks though. I mean he should have known there was a ditch there coming back onto the circuit. Especially being basically the exit of a very quick left hand turn so naturally the car would be closer to that side of the circuit anyway. That's the whole point of a circuit walk or familiarise yourself with the circuit, so things like that dont catch you out. Even as a karter I look for certain things like that, just incase I make a mistake on the exit of the turn or iam pushed wide, how to rejoin quickly. But seriously IMO, he should have known that was there. Can't see why he should be penalised though, that's just crazy.

I think having his race ruined, bruising his ribs and probably sh*tting himself is punishment enough!

I think having his race ruined, bruising his ribs and probably sh*tting himself is punishment enough!

most definatly, lucky to walk away, apparently the impact was like 47g, that's insane.

Just prooves IMO he doesn't take to much notice in his track walks though. I mean he should have known there was a ditch there coming back onto the circuit. Especially being basically the exit of a very quick left hand turn so naturally the car would be closer to that side of the circuit anyway. That's the whole point of a circuit walk or familiarise yourself with the circuit, so things like that dont catch you out. Even as a karter I look for certain things like that, just incase I make a mistake on the exit of the turn or iam pushed wide, how to rejoin quickly. But seriously IMO, he should have known that was there. Can't see why he should be penalised though, that's just crazy.

When Stirling Moss drove the Mille Miglia, he and Jenkinson, his navigator, drove around the course in the weeks beforehand taking pace notes. Apparently at the speed they drove around taking the notes, they didn't really notice this bit of a bump or hump back in the road, but when they came over it at race speeds, they reckon they did a jump of over 200ft.

This has no relation on what you posted, I just like the story :whistling:

No, I know what you are saying, but even if you walked around the track and noted run off areas, danger areas, you might even notice a little bit of a bump in the area Kimi came back onto the track, but I am not sure you would be able to remember/realise in the adrenalin fuelled instant when you are actually driving over it because it would probably look insignificant, until you come over it at 150mph.

I suppose the other thing is, Kimi must have done countless laps at Silverstone and I can't remember him (or anybody else?) doing that before, so it probably never entered his head on the track walk. I imagine you concentrate on areas where you have seen other incidents, where you have had incidents, where you imagine there might be incidents, new tarmac, new kerbs, etc.

When Stirling Moss drove the Mille Miglia, he and Jenkinson, his navigator, drove around the course in the weeks beforehand taking pace notes. Apparently at the speed they drove around taking the notes, they didn't really notice this bit of a bump or hump back in the road, but when they came over it at race speeds, they reckon they did a jump of over 200ft.

This has no relation on what you posted, I just like the story :whistling:

No, I know what you are saying, but even if you walked around the track and noted run off areas, danger areas, you might even notice a little bit of a bump in the area Kimi came back onto the track, but I am not sure you would be able to remember/realise in the adrenalin fuelled instant when you are actually driving over it because it would probably look insignificant, until you come over it at 150mph.

I suppose the other thing is, Kimi must have done countless laps at Silverstone and I can't remember him (or anybody else?) doing that before, so it probably never entered his head on the track walk. I imagine you concentrate on areas where you have seen other incidents, where you have had incidents, where you imagine there might be incidents, new tarmac, new kerbs, etc.

Just seems like an amateur mistake

Criticize Kimi all you like, but you guys know full well F1 drivers are only permitted to walk/cycle around a race track for reconnaissance before a race weekend starts. I don't recall Kimi ever going off at that part of the circuit in the past, nor any other driver having to deal with that bump either. If there was no dip/bump Kimi would have been fine when he came back onto the track. And we wouldn't be talking about this, but rather something else.

As far as Luada's comments are concerned, the guy is one giant schnitzel was far as I'm concerned. He says one thing out of a hundred that make sense. He very rarely has any public common sense anymore. The crashes from GRO, Maldonado, Perez have been far worse than this these past couple of years.

Kimi's an ok guy, he fully admits when he makes a mistake. He doesn't shirk responsibility unlike some others or try to deflect and blame the other guy. He's also honest and I give full respect to him for that, even after his big crash. I wish he didn't crash, I wish he was doing better this year and able to get more comfortable in the car, but it's not happening just yet. This doesn't detract from my admiration for the guy, or the hopes he'll get some good results in during the rest of the year.

Anyone who wants to criticize Kimi needs only to consider this. The first thing Kimi said over the radio after his crash was... "Is Felipe alright?"

Iam not criticising him at all,iam glad he is ok and that penalising him would be outrageous, all i stating is IMO it would be common sense to look at the outside of the corner, especially if its where iam going to be on the exit of the particular corner, then I would go ok if I make a mistake or get pushed wide, I might end up here so I need to look over here, that's just an example and with more experience you would then relise ok that bump isn't big but at high speed it will be. That's something I do just as a kart racer, let alone if I was doing what he is. It's just my opinion monkey, no need to get your knickers in a knot, you do this everything someone bags kimi or seb, not everyone has to agree with the drivers you support. Iam not having a go at you mate, iam just saying,it's difference in opinion, doesn't mean iam right, but it also means you might not be either.

Iam not criticising him at all,iam glad he is ok and that penalising him would be outrageous, all i stating is IMO it would be common sense to look at the outside of the corner, especially if its where iam going to be on the exit of the particular corner, then I would go ok if I make a mistake or get pushed wide, I might end up here so I need to look over here, that's just an example and with more experience you would then relise ok that bump isn't big but at high speed it will be. That's something I do just as a kart racer, let alone if I was doing what he is. It's just my opinion monkey, no need to get your knickers in a knot, you do this everything someone bags kimi or seb, not everyone has to agree with the drivers you support. Iam not having a go at you mate, iam just saying,it's difference in opinion, doesn't mean iam right, but it also means you might not be either.

Your kart does 170mph?

That's irrelevant, but concidering we race on much smaller,tighter,narrower,shorter circuits, to scale it probably wouldnt be far of at all, there's no need for sarcacism as I specifically used that as an example. Do I have to include scale specs from now on when I describe something?

I personally think Lauda should keep his thoughts to himself, like I reckon he made some mistakes during his racing career, none of which I can recal but hell who cares, that's called life, making mistakes that is !!!

That's irrelevant, but concidering we race on much smaller,tighter,narrower,shorter circuits, to scale it probably wouldnt be far of at all, there's no need for sarcacism as I specifically used that as an example. Do I have to include scale specs from now on when I describe something?

garbage

A Superkart will reach 160 mph.

Which has nothing to do with anything.

I do not think anyone has been over critical of Raikkonen, the OP (me) said it was surprising that some people are calling for a penalty.

Sometimes I wish I never started a conversation.

A Superkart will reach 160 mph.

Which has nothing to do with anything.

I do not think anyone has been over critical of Raikkonen, the OP (me) said it was surprising that some people are calling for a penalty.

Sometimes I wish I never started a conversation.

I just find F1 so boring atm. Kimi is driving like a girl, Alonso is a douche, Hamilton is a freakin poser, Nico is devoid of personality, Vettel cries like a baby, the cars are ugly, the rules are ridiculously over complicated.

I started watching F1 in 2000, but to be honest, now I hope it goes out of business, because the sport is a waste of space atm.

Trust me its nothing compared to seeing Mika Hakkinen dominate in 1998 after being basically no where is his career previously, just didnt feel right at all. But when you saw him drive you where like "where has this skill been hiding". The answer was, it was always there, that imo is what made schumacher so good, not his 7 titles but the fact that no matter what era, you had to beat him for the title. We had Hill,Villeneuve,Hakkinen,Alonso, all had to beat schumi and like i said over two different eras there. Certain drivers seem to succeed in different types of formula one compared to what they first cut there teeth in. It's just a different domination ATM that your not liking, just a possiblity, could be wrong.

Anyone who wants to criticize Kimi needs only to consider this. The first thing Kimi said over the radio after his crash was... "Is Felipe alright?"

I'd love for that to be true but how do you know he said that?

What no-one's suggested so far, and what I will now suggest, is that perhaps the circuit shouldn't have had a dangerous bump there in the first place. I actually doubt any of the 22 drivers looked at the outside of the kerbs to see which were high if you happened to be driving onto them from the grass!

I bet they did. As its on the side to exiting a corner. A corner you have to nail right every time or it hampers your straight line speed. Drivers would be down there all the time trying to find a quicker line through it. In hindsight it's easy to say you would see it, but the fact being he would have been fighting the car and watching where he could merge back onto the circuit, even if he did know the bump was there, would have been the last thing on his mind IMO.

I bet they did. As its on the side to exiting a corner. A corner you have to nail right every time or it hampers your straight line speed. Drivers would be down there all the time trying to find a quicker line through it. In hindsight it's easy to say you would see it, but the fact being he would have been fighting the car and watching where he could merge back onto the circuit, even if he did know the bump was there, would have been the last thing on his mind IMO.

You've lost me again mate. You spent the first half of the thread going on about how he should have known about it, then went on to say its the same for you in your go-cart, and now you're saying it was the last thing on his mind?

In the heat of the moment it wouldve been, just trying to look at if from all angles.

I'm still waiting for an answer to where this info came from, cos sorry my friend I just don't believe it!