Clicky

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Emmcee

Engine Penalties

This article suggests that we will be in for a shakeup do to drivers that will excede there engines allocated for the season. Are we about to see drivers just sitting in the garage and not bothering to go out due to there engine change or are we about to get a few different winners?

http://www.gptoday.com/full_story/view/495111/Engine_penalties_set_to_shakeup_Formula_One_grid/

Some guys are in real trouble, they all seem to be in a bit of bother.

I can see quite a shake up coming, which is exactly why the rules exist, nothing to do with cost containment, in my opinion.

Course not, they need to look at the old days when the sport was no where near as regulated, yet most of the best ever and most memorable races come from these eras.

is just another result of the COST cutting in F1......... Like dream on.............. What would these new Power units cost compared to the V10's ??? I suspect a fel Mil more EACH and now that they have proved to be unreliable we will no boubt see a RACE to the BOTTOM as I doubt those with no units left would just stay in the garage for qualy, like why just burn up another engine for what?? especially in the case of the "Also Rans" or grid fillers..

Exactly another pocket load of cash for Bernie. They tried to make cars come out in q3 by giving them a new set of tyres now the same

Thing is going to happen. One maybe 2 cars will

Qualify. Especially when where right at the last few rounds.

I think the front runners will carry on as normal but a midfielder or back marker might run Q1 with the PU turned down and accept what happens. Not a lot different from what normally happens, really.

Cost cutting is a lie, the development cost of the V8/V10 engines (same thing, just cylinders chopped off) would have been amortised years ago. The development costs of the current PU would be horrendous and continue to apply. Some engine manufacturers will spend a fortune trying to catch Mercedes for 2015 and Mercedes will spend a fortune trying to stay ahead. Madness.

Actually, i is all fine, it what has been happening in F1 for decades, but it is nothing to do with cutting costs.

For me it's a shock just how dominant the Mercedes engine is, I thought with Renault previous success with turbo engines in the past, that they wod definatly have the best engine, well except top end, we all know you can never catch those mercs top end at all, but as an overall better engine, thought Renault would have nailed it, and I got this sense of urgency from them late last year as if they were waiting for this season to start. What a shock that has tuned out to be.

Just wonder how much HONDA will be spending??

Wouldn't it be sweet if Mazda joined and built a rotary Turbo. Now that would be sick.

That would be too much for the F1 establishment, but it would be funny.

Yeah i know, but just imagine it, the sound would be immense.

Wouldn't last under this seasons engine regs though, rotors are bad enough as it is for rebuilds, let alone at those revs. Lol