Clicky

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Emmcee

Formula E Postpones First Race By 5 Weeks.

Formula e are postponing there first round by 5 weeks because the Malaysian prime minister cannot attended the original date. How is formula e supposed to be taken serious enough to be an alternative to formula one if there doing this already?

http://m.gpupdate.net/en/autosport-news/314453/formula-e-postpones-malaysian-round/

That's not the first round, it's the second. And if the FIA, teams and sponsors agreed and there were no ticket reservations made yet, I don't see this as any catastrophe. It will still be held before the third round (which is in December, so plenty of time between each on) It is odd, thoough that the reason given was that the Premier Minister couldn't attend. But I know nothing ofthe Formula E politics to judge.

Didn't diminish my expectations the least.

I'll still watch the opening race though. Formula E might well be the start of the future by which all motorsport will be based on in a few decades time. Some decent drivers in there too.

I'll still watch the opening race though. Formula E might well be the start of the future by which all motorsport will be based on in a few decades time. Some decent drivers in there too.

Yeah true that.

It will probably sound similar to F1, anyway.

Wouldn't that be a disaster?!

But yeah, don't follow Fe news but I'd imagine this is for the better of the venue as well as the sport. Why rush it if it's not ready?

That's not the first round, it's the second. And if the FIA, teams and sponsors agreed and there were no ticket reservations made yet, I don't see this as any catastrophe. It will still be held before the third round (which is in December, so plenty of time between each on) It is odd, thoough that the reason given was that the Premier Minister couldn't attend. But I know nothing ofthe Formula E politics to judge.

Didn't diminish my expectations the least.

I think Formula E is a catastrophe. Noticed your food bill lately? 45% of all wheat production worldwide is going to ethanol and biofuel production. So, greed cuts in [it's the American way], the market rockets, beef is unaffordable, as is chicken, everyone heads for the processed stuff and destroys their health and that of their families. Bottom line? The Green brigade get a hard-on while the world poisons itself on saturated fat and sugar. Clever.

I think Formula E is a catastrophe. Noticed your food bill lately? 45% of all wheat production worldwide is going to ethanol and biofuel production. So, greed cuts in [it's the American way], the market rockets, beef is unaffordable, as is chicken, everyone heads for the processed stuff and destroys their health and that of their families. Bottom line? The Green brigade get a hard-on while the world poisons itself on saturated fat and sugar. Clever.

add immunisation to that list and your spot on.

I guess its grey energy. This whole biofuel thing is pathetic.

One thing that's made me curious about Formula E. Why do all of the races have to happen on city street courses instead of established race tracks?

One thing that's made me curious about Formula E. Why do all of the races have to happen on city street courses instead of established race tracks?

Yeah good point. Be good to see some older f1 circuits being used. Does anyone have any idea how quick these things go? How much slower are they than a f1 car?

Yeah good point. Be good to see some older f1 circuits being used. Does anyone have any idea how quick these things go? How much slower are they than a f1 car?

Most probably faster the war things are going in GP1.

The cars have 200 kW and are limited to 225 kph, so no comparison with F1.

Battery life is 25 minutes, so mid race pit stops to change cars will be necessary. Yes, really.

Sh#te, my Holden station wagon has more power and top end than those. How is that supposed to create a spectacle. I was watching some onboard footage thinking he was just tip toeing around, not realising he was probably flat.

Battery limited, obviously, so until technology makes some enormous leaps forward, that is it. I guess induction could be used, with power being picked up from wires buried in the track. That would go down well in London.

Edit: There is more, I had forgotten about this. The amount of power is affected by fans voting to give three drivers more. Stop laughing, it is true!

http://www.crash.net/formula-e/news/206271/1/formula-e-fan-boost-explained.html

I thought it was put on a pedistool as like the pinnacle of "electric cars", lemans cars are quicker than that. No wonder why Trulli and Buemi signed up, they know they'll keep up then.

One thing that goes against the grain is the claim that it is sustainable racing.

The overall efficiency of generating, transmitting and converting electricity to torque is about 29%

The efficiency of a V8 F1 engine was around 34%. The efficiency of a 2014 PU is around 40%.

The proportion of power generated internationally by fossil fuels is around 67%. Ignoring Nuclear for a moment, fossil fuels are used to generate 78% of the world's electricity.

Divide 29% by 78% and you get 37%, which is the fossil fuel equivalent fuel efficiency of an electric car.

So what? It means that an electrically powered car is less efficient than a petrol powered one when it comes to fossil fuel usage, on a kW level basis.

We could also talk about the batteries and the energy required to manufacture them, then the decommissioning etc etc. In reality, the Formula E cars will be powered mainly by fossil fuels, it is just that it takes place somewhere other than at the race track.

This all means that electrically powered cars use more fossil fuels than an F1 car per kW.

Thanks, but it is something which I find annoying. Electrically powered cars are only green, whatever that is taken to mean, if the power comes from a green source.

The only thing which came out of that analysis is that the 2014 cars are actually more efficient than the previous incarnations.

I understand but we all know, to go greener, we loose power. I couldnt Beleive they would even concider it when that's the case. These new cars I mean. Yeah the racing has slighty improoved but that could easily come back and eliminate drs and ers if they just widen the chassis. More mechanical grip is all that is needed.

Battery limited, obviously, so until technology makes some enormous leaps forward, that is it. I guess induction could be used, with power being picked up from wires buried in the track. That would go down well in London.

Edit: There is more, I had forgotten about this. The amount of power is affected by fans voting to give three drivers more. Stop laughing, it is true!

http://www.crash.net...-explained.html

This seems too ridiculous to be true - so the most popular drivers will get more power? And that's fair HOW?

What's happening to motor racing :-(

So were going to have a bunch of clowns out on circuit?