Clicky

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Emmcee

Helmets.

Does it bother you that some drivers (especially Vettel) change helmets? Well it doesn't really bother me, but I would take pride in a custom helmet and keep it the whole way through. IMO it's not only your identification to spectators but its like a badge of honor. Well that's how I see it, I remember when lewis joined Mercedes wasn't there some small argument over who would have the yellow helmet or its to hard to distinguish or something like that? So they both run yellow helmets last year and now even lewis has changed his color.

Does it bother you that some drivers (especially Vettel) change helmets? Well it doesn't really bother me, but I would take pride in a custom helmet and keep it the whole way through. IMO it's not only your identification to spectators but its like a badge of honor. Well that's how I see it, I remember when lewis joined Mercedes wasn't there some small argument over who would have the yellow helmet or its to hard to distinguish or something like that? So they both run yellow helmets last year and now even lewis has changed his color.

If I had access to unlimited funds and professional helmet designers I would change every race.

Why Not? I understand that Vettel has kept each helmet he has where he won the race.... Think about that say in 30 years time.............. would be very good superannuation....

Why Not? I understand that Vettel has kept each helmet he has where he won the race.... Think about that say in 30 years time.............. would be very good superannuation....

Well you put it like that. Nice little nest egg indeed.

It's all about personal preference. I personally would stick with the same helmet design but others like Vettel have a passion for helmet design. Maybe he went to art school or is just interested in art & design.

It's all about personal preference. I personally would stick with the same helmet design but others like Vettel have a passion for helmet design. Maybe he went to art school or is just interested in art & design.

Maybe, just IMO it lacks professionalism, but it's just my opinion, I must admit, seb always comes up with a cool looking design.

First they should change the F1 management. That will make more difference in the whole sport.

Hell yea!!

In the past the helmet was like your signature, it remains unchanged from boyhood all through your racing career.

Most drivers still do that with the occasional variation but some change altogether and I'm with you webric I don't like it. I do not approve of Rosberg changing his permanently, or Irvine doing the same in 2000, or Seb changing his all the time!

I didn't like Button's luminous yellow design in 2009 either.

That's it, fans also distinguish there drivers by there helmets. I don't mind if they slightly change it but the overall design should IMO remain unchanged. As for buttons helmet, that pink one seems to be quite lucky for him doesn't it? Each time he has worn it so far, he has had a good race. Nice touch to his farther.

In the past the helmet was like your signature, it remains unchanged from boyhood all through your racing career.

Most drivers still do that with the occasional variation but some change altogether and I'm with you webric I don't like it. I do not approve of Rosberg changing his permanently, or Irvine doing the same in 2000, or Seb changing his all the time!

When he started using that luminous yellow design mid-way through the season he never won another race in 2009 which I thought was quite strange. Saying that he did win the championship so it wasn't too much of an omen :P

And why did Schumi change to all-red in 2000? My guess would be due to Ferrari love but he still had the all-red when he drove for Mercedes.

Yea the 'Pink for Papa' is the one exception, I'll always prefer red white & blue but it's a nice touch as you say

He wore it from the first race in Australia in 2009

Really? Could have sworn he wore his usual union jack style helmet but I stand corrected.

And why did Schumi change to all-red in 2000? My guess would be due to Ferrari love but he still had the all-red when he drove for Mercedes.

Yea the 'Pink for Papa' is the one exception, I'll always prefer red white & blue but it's a nice touch as you say

Schumi changed his to red after Rubens Barrichello joined Ferrari in 2000. As Rubens also has a blue oval on the top of the helmet and red around the visor on a white background, looked very similar to schumis on tv, so I Beleive Schumi went ahead and changed the color for that reason. The reason for keeping the red even at merc, he became know as the "red baron" like the German fighter pilot and the red stood out on the silver car it was meant to intimidate other drivers and catch there attention in the mirrors as being so bright on a darkish car.

At merc he did a good job of catching people's attention by smashing into the back of them lol.

From memory the 'red baron' thing was bandied around in late 90's before he changed his helmet but I might be wrong.

Those mistakes were just that, mistakes. If you look over the length of his career, he made very few.

I agree that helmet designs are like your signature - it seldom changes & is unique to your personal identity. I also agree slight updates and variations obviously for different sponsors are appropriate, however, I can't relate to what Vettel does at all. Who would know what his actual signatory helmet design actually is? Look at Senna's, there is absolutely no mistaking his, that legendary yellow helmet still does something to me when I see it in a photo or a video, imagine what a genuine one of those would be worth today. Whereas in years to come if someone buys one of Vettels helmets at an auction or whatever you couldn't be blamed for asking "which one, what colour & design is it, & what significance does it have"? In my opinion it wouldn't have any real meaning other than it was one of Vettels & that he probably only wore once. Vettel having so many designs is like he doesn't have an identity or has dozens of personalities!

I personally have had the same helmet design for over 20 years. I first drew the design on a piece of paper & when I lived in England for 2 years I had Doug Eyre paint it for me who at the time did quite a few F1 drivers helmets. Over the years I've had only slight variations made to it when I've updated helmets but overall the fundamental design itself hasn't really changed - just like many F1 drivers didn't including Senna, Mansell , Patrese, Prost, Hill & Villeneuve to name a few.

I agree that helmet designs are like your signature - it seldom changes & is unique to your personal identity. I also agree slight updates and variations obviously for different sponsors are appropriate, however, I can't relate to what Vettel does at all. Who would know what his actual signatory helmet design actually is? Look at Senna's, there is absolutely no mistaking his, that legendary yellow helmet still does something to me when I see it in a photo or a video, imagine what a genuine one of those would be worth today. Whereas in years to come if someone buys one of Vettels helmets at an auction or whatever you couldn't be blamed for asking "which one, what colour & design is it, & what significance does it have"? In my opinion it wouldn't have any real meaning other than it was one of Vettels & that he probably only wore once. Vettel having so many designs is like he doesn't have an identity or has dozens of personalities!

I personally have had the same helmet design for over 20 years. I first drew the design on a piece of paper & when I lived in England for 2 years I had Doug Eyre paint it for me who at the time did quite a few F1 drivers helmets. Over the years I've had only slight variations made to it when I've updated helmets but overall the fundamental design itself hasn't really changed - just like many F1 drivers didn't including Senna, Mansell , Patrese, Prost, Hill & Villeneuve to name a few.

Agree 100% I know what you're an about seeing Senna's helmet on tv or whatever,it carries a certain aura about itself doesn't it? It's like looking at a ferrari. You know who it is right away. Iam sure when Vettel is a balding old man, he too will struggle with what helmets he wore at what time. Heck I've even seen him change designs between first practise and qualy.