Clicky

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

BrisbaneAndy

Speed Limits

Speed limits are to be increased in Queensland after a review by some bureaucrats.

Six stretches of road will have the limit increased from 100 to 110 kph. That would be about 62 to 69 mph.

Sounds great.

The increases are on the following roads:

Jackson to Roma and Roma to Morven and Macalister to Chinchilla on the Warrego Hwy will increase from 100km/h to 110km/h as will the stretch from Taroom to Miles on the Leichhardt Hwy and from Surat to St George in the state's south west.

​I have only heard of half of those places and I live in Queensland. The changes would probably affect about 1% of the population.

​Meanwhile, speed limits will be reduced in four more urban locations.....

In bristol the new mayor has introduced 20mph zones all over the place. I'm all for safety but 20mph is a bit extreme, might as well get out and walk.

p.s. those are some weird place-names!

I hear you. The speed limit in Brisbane city was reduced to 40 kph a couple of years ago, 25 mph.

St George, as an example, is 500km west of Brisbane and there are very few people that far out. So, the increase in speed limit is not something that excites me.

The NT was limit free outside towns until a few years ago, when they adopted a 130 kph limit everywhere. They recently went to unlimited for a 200 km stretch north of Alice Springs as a trial and it will be extended. From 130 kph to whatever you want? Mags and nutters are flocking there, but the stats are positive. I should add that Alice is 3,000 km west of Brisbane, right in the red centre. Ayer's Rock is near there, but it has to be called Uluru these days.

One thing that became obvious to me when I came here is that limits are applied with vigour. We call it revenue raising. When I went to the UK in 20110, 11 and 12, it was clear that things are not so draconian, it felt like back to the old days. I actually got overtaken a few times and that hardly ever happens here.

Some of the place names are Aboriginal influenced. There is a Brisbane suburb called Wooloongaba, Sydney has Wooloomaloo, my favourite is Dirranbandi, pronounced Dirranbanjee. It is where Robert G Barret's character in novels, Les Norton was brought up.

I live near mugeeraba, there's Wagga Wagga,pimpama,yatala,coomera a town called 1770.