Clicky

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

BrisbaneAndy

Ferrari V12 F1 Car

Couldn't agree more! My favourite sounding F1 car of all time and this is what I've been going on about all year! Forget my V10 post, I could listen to this car for hours, especially when it hits it's peak rev note with that scream that goes straight through you like the mother-in-laws breath!

I believe there a twin turbo are they not? Plus I think there setup is completly different.

Yes they are twin turbo! But RPM is similar, power too! Only they sound very different! I was just hoping that they can make them sound more like Indy!

I Beleive next year they might sound different. Only because they have the time to asses that area. With limited testing, I doubt they will waste anytime during the season to look at that.

I hope so.

Those clips are fantastic, raw, visceral, whatever, just great. Is Alesi on it in that second one, do you think?!?!!! Thanks.

The Indy cars do sound a lot better and I am not sure why. I am convinced that the F1 cars are not getting beyond about 11,000 rpm due to the fuel flow limit, but neither are the Indy Cars, 10,300 rpm. I recall CART and Indycar ran about 12,000 rpm at Surfers and I remember thinking they sounded awesome.

Maybe the Indy Cars run a lot more boost as they are not fuel limited. I do not know why that would make a difference. I have nothing.

Honda ran a single turbo until 2014 and they sounded fine last year.

They have V6 turbo engines in INDY if it am not mistaken, and they do sound ok!

I think the difference between the Indy turbo engines & F1 is the ERS system that F1 engines have is buggering up the sound and muffling it between the combustion engine, the turbo and the exhaust. As long as ERS is part of the engine formula there's probably very little that can be done about the engine noise & volume. Hence this green new formula has ripped the heart and soul out of F1 denying us of the sound sensation like no other in the world.

How would ERS affect the sound?

Because ERS is all part of the hybrid system that makes up part of the power unit. It's batteries (2) are part of the power chain, one working with the turbo & the other acting like Kers used to. There's only 1 turbo charger so I'm assuming that the ERS system is muffling the sound between the combustion engine but most likely the power chain all channels to one p**sy little exhaust pipe. The old era of V6 turbo F1 engines from the 1980's had 2 turbo's, extractors pipes straight out of the heads with nothing in between to distort raw noise. That era of turbo still sounded like turbo engines do - flat - drony & boring but at least they were loud!

Yes, I know what ERS is, but I do not see how it affects the sound. Harvesting energy from the exhaust is purely heat transfer, but sound eventually becomes what, so maybe there is something in that. One turbo vs two will make no difference.

Yes, I know what ERS is, but I do not see how it affects the sound. Harvesting energy from the exhaust is purely heat transfer, but sound eventually becomes what, so maybe there is something in that. One turbo vs two will make no difference.

It's probably more to do with the exhaust configuration layout as the extractor pipes are channeled through to an single exhaust pipe whereas with the 1980's V6 turbo exhausts were straight out each side. I don't know as to what impact ERS has in the equation of sound Andy, you are probably right. But I do know this years engines are quieter than the 1980's turbo's as I attended the Senna Festival at Imola earlier this year and a Swiss guy by the name of Freddy owns 3 of Senna's Lotus's and he drove the 1985 one around the circuit and it was definitely louder than this years cars.

The simple answer is - bring back those normally aspirated V12's!!

Or v10s. IMO,formula one should be NA. It should be all about engine power, not aided by a mechanical and electronic devices to make up for the lack of power.

Hear hear to all that!

The 1980's cars sounded louder and nastier, maybe it is down to the electronics being more sophisticated, not so much barking, piping and banging and cleaner combustion.

I do not see that three cylinders either side exhausting through turbo for each bank would make a difference from all six through single turbo, except that the gas flow [path would be slightly longer.

Possibly the electronics, maybe even the materials that the engine block/heads and other components are built out of come into play. I was standing in the pit garage in Imola when they started the 1985 Lotus Renault & revved it for a while & just the shear volume of noise in general was a whole lot louder & totally different tone to this years units which have some sort of hollow muffled drony/echo like some sort of vacuum cleaner.

I know it's not remotely similar, however, the old cast iron Holden 5.0 litre V8 blocks get a way better exhaust note & induction sound than the modern alloy Chev blocks. I've owned HSV's for the last 12 years & I've tried different exhaust combo's on the alloy Chev blocks but all I'd get was cabin drone. My older cars with the cast iron blocks you only had to put a Redback exhaust from the cats back & it sounded sweet!

Yeah I know what your saying, I've had a few skylines and the older r31's sound way better than the new neo blocks, turbo, NA, whatever, the older ones just sounded more tough.