Clicky

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Emmcee

Tribute To Senna

Very moving indeed.....thanks Webric.

I was fortunate enough to go to Imola for the 20 year anniversary & festival including standing at Tamburello corner with 25,000 other fans to observe a minutes silence at 2:17pm on the 1st May. The festival was a very special weekend that is unlikely to happen again and the memories will remain with me until I leave this planet. R.I.P. Ayrton Senna

To me, there has never been a more complete and professional racing driver than Ayrton Senna. And never will be.

I was only 10 at the time of his accident. But I used to sneak out of bed and turn the tv on, just to see Senna. Even at that age I knew he was special. I used to get in trouble because dad would hear the tv and tell me to go to bed. But that weekend at imola was days before my tenth birthday and all I wished was for ayrton to win and close the gap to Schumacher. So I snuck out of bed like I usually did to watch the San Marino gp. When ayrton had his accident and I got the drift things wernt good, I rushed in and woke my dad up, didnt care he was angry but it was a moment I shared with my farther and it's a moment I will never forget. To other kids, it was like batman or superman getting disembowelled right infront of you, that's how bad I felt as Ayrton was my hero. Kicks superman or batman's a## anyday. He had this aura around him and magnetic attraction that made a 7,8,9yr kid, Beleive that he could be the best driver ever as he had ayrton as his coach. I will always miss ayrton and every time I see or hear a formula one car. All I think about is what he could have went on to achieve, what teams he would have drove for and maybe my wish of seeing him in a ferrari.

I can imagine at that age Webric what an impact that would've had - powerful stuff.

I was 26 years old when the accident happened, however, in 1992 I went to my first Grand Prix in Imola of all places when he was in the V12 Honda McLaren. The moment of seeing that yellow helmet in the car trackside is probably the most vivid memory of him & F1 I'll ever have. As I was living in England that year I went on to see 4 more Grands Prix in Europe but as the Williams that year was so dominant I didn't see a Senna victory in person until Adelaide 1993 - his very last. I did however, see him outside Estoril 2 hours after the 1992 Portuguese Grand Prix when he tore out of the circuit exit, stopped at the traffic lights long enough for us to go up to his Honda NSX where he wound the window down, signed autographs for 2 young boys, shook my mates hand & my Mrs kissed him on the cheek. I stood at the door pillar dumb founded and said & did nothing! Then the lights went green & he took off......The memories..