Clicky

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Apples127

V10's - How This Link Demonstrates What F1 Should Sound Like!

To be honest I don't think you need to bang your drum much any more, I think everyone in F1 now agrees the sound sucks!

Of course the sound stinks, but who here has already forgotten about that because the wheel to

Wheel racing this year is extraordinary? Perez and Button at Monza, I rest my case.

I didnt mean forgotten but it's now overlooked due to the solid racing we've had so far.

The great racing certainly does help, and we're having an amazing season - but I still hope they do something about the noise.

In 10 years time I hope to take my son/daughter (whatever it is is due in Feb!) to silverstone, and I want them to be deaf by the end lol

The great racing certainly does help, and we're having an amazing season - but I still hope they do something about the noise.

In 10 years time I hope to take my son/daughter (whatever it is is due in Feb!) to silverstone, and I want them to be deaf by the end lol

Can't see that happening mate which is a shame for your child. As time goes on the world will just become greener & more PC that it will probably be all electric in 10 years. You may have to take your child to an F1 historic meeting to get that deafening effect and everyone present will wonder why the hell we ever let the cars move away from that noise.

Ohh definatly, if they want to minimise radio communication and basically go back to the older era of f1 when radio communication was minimal. Then why can't we go back to refuelling unlimited tyres, qualifying engines and wider chassis? That would bring the fans back if that's what there trying to do. Instead of pleasing some greenies who don't even watch the sport.

Oh for crying out loud! Just how many posts are you going to start on this Apples? We get that you don't like the sound.

There is a power button on your TV. You don't have to watch.

Move on... it's not going to change. I prefer the old engine note but don't even notice it now.

I don't notice it any more, but then there is nothing to notice. I share your pain, Apples.

I believe still that it will change. If the fans accept it and stay quiet, that will never happen. It is healthy to get vocal about it, F1 needs the fans and it needs to keep them happy, so if we all shut up and accept it, it will not change.

A turbo motor with ERS can sound healthy and loud, have a listen to a Mercedes E55 AMG or AMG GT for the turbo or McLaren P1. The only drawback to that argument is the capacity, but let them rev the thing to 18,000 rpm and we will all be smiling. The fuel flow limit has to go and then we can have the scream back.

I see it like this. That test in Spain, reguardless what anyone sayes was a test for merc and they use that "megaphone" excuse as the reason why. It's clear as day, there not going to change the layout of the car, especially with these cost cutting measure, merc saw a potential test and jumped at it. Next year could very well be different as they have had time to look at the issue in the building phase and have a chance to rectify it.

More revs required, but that would compromise the current engine designs, they are not designed to do high rpm. Add in the PU longevity restrictions etc and it is a substantial change in the rules. Bring it on.

Here is my version of the 2015 PU rules: 1.6 litres. That is all.

Oh for crying out loud! Just how many posts are you going to start on this Apples? We get that you don't like the sound.

There is a power button on your TV. You don't have to watch.

Move on... it's not going to change. I prefer the old engine note but don't even notice it now.

Well maybe instead of jumping down my throat why don't you apply the same amount of aggression into doing something about it. Like Brisbane Andy says, if we all shut up about it like you're telling me to do then nothing will be done about it. If you prefer the old engine note then grow a pair and speak up!

If we're serious about it I'd imagine we should start a petition and lodge it with the FIA. Tap into whatever media sources we have collectively to get them onboard with the campaign. When I was at the Senna Festival I made a new Portuguese friend who is a journalist for a Motorsport magazine. He used to race karts against Hamilton, Rosberg & Kubica.

Anyway the point is I also met 3 new Aussie friends at Imola who were campaigning to permanently retire the number 12 from any F1 driver using it out of respect to Senna. Their belief is he had the number 12 in both Lotus & McLaren and won his first world title with it amongst a whole host of other stats. They made some headway at Imola with Formula Passion.IT and made some great connections associated with Bernie too. They've written to the FIA and have a facebook page devoted to the cause too. I'm not sure of how it's progressing but I admire their passion & determination and if enough like minded people band together we may just be able to have an impact. A slightly more proactive option than telling people to shut up about it on this forum don't you think?

If there's a petition I'll sign it

Now that's the attitude and kind of thinking we need Jem of the Shire, excellent start! Anyone got any suggestions about the best way to get the petition launched?

Trouble is if we were to draft a letter/petition, I imagine we (the fans in general) would have some other major gripes too, or would it just be kept to the engine sound only?

Also you'd need to decide what we're actually petioning for; a return to high-revving NA V8's, or just a device to improve the sound?

I'll never forget the goosebumps I got as a kid when we were waiting in traffic on the way to silverstone, I'd never been before, and 2 miles away I could hear the cars in the distance. Then on arrival, hearing a Minardi scream past me through Woodcote - 1 of the best moments of my childhood!

It's no good pleasing the manufacturers if the fans are turning off their TV's. And most petrolheads enjoy motorsport, and most petrolheads enjoy loud racing cars.

Trouble is if we were to draft a letter/petition, I imagine we (the fans in general) would have some other major gripes too, or would it just be kept to the engine sound only?

Also you'd need to decide what we're actually petioning for; a return to high-revving NA V8's, or just a device to improve the sound?

I'll never forget the goosebumps I got as a kid when we were waiting in traffic on the way to silverstone, I'd never been before, and 2 miles away I could hear the cars in the distance. Then on arrival, hearing a Minardi scream past me through Woodcote - 1 of the best moments of my childhood!

It's no good pleasing the manufacturers if the fans are turning off their TV's. And most petrolheads enjoy motorsport, and most petrolheads enjoy loud racing cars.

Yes if we're going to do this at all it needs to be done right and put together well starting firstly with exactly what the petition is asking for. We need everyone that is involved to be in agreement & passionate about the cause rather than debate it. Now is probably the time to debate what the cause is before going any further.

Then the logistics of forming like a sub committee or group with different people assigned to different areas of expertise that they can bring to the table. For example if someone within the group was an IT gun and good at setting up things like an online petition page with traffic channelled from or through things like facebook & Twitter sites that we set up and make it easy for people worldwide to support & sign electronically. Another example would be if anyone who is connected to journalists to influence them to get onboard & write about it.

Anyway, I hope those that are interested are getting my gist but before I get carried away on logistics of the petition group I'll start the ball rolling by suggesting the following:

A return of normally aspirated engines - the more cylinders the better such as V12's and certainly no less than V8's. Keep the Kers or ERS technology if that's going to keep the manufacturers happy. Other than that I don't think the petition should be trying to re-write the entire rule book or specifications because it will only make the petition too complicated with too many possible varying opinions. The objective in my opinion should be a simple, straight forward and clear message that the average fan can relate to and get onboard with. Our catch phrase maybe as simple as "Bring back the soul of F1 - Bring back normally aspirated engines".

Anyway that's my thoughts to get the ball rolling