Clicky

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

BrisbaneAndy

Hamilton Contract Bombshell

An absolute nothing story, the usual sensationalist journalism. Every employer is going to try and pay the least amount especially if they hold what they perceive to be the ace cards, it happens the world over.

Of course, next season, if they are not dominant and they need a driver with a bit extra pace to get them results, then the ace cards will change.

He is not the first and he won't be the last. I am sure Ricciardo is looking like a bargain too. The thing is, will it last? That's what you are paying for in F1, known performances over a length of time.

That's right, I don't think ricciardo is a splash in the pan, he has been to consistant for to long for that, buts that's my opinion.

Well, he wasn't outstanding at Toro Rosso, he was good and solid, but he didn't set the world alight, like some drivers have done. You keep saying, though, that Lewis had an outstanding season in 2007 and has gone down hill since, so in that sense there is no evidence, so far, that the same thing wont happen to Ricciardo. Only time will tell.

Tell me how it is different to any other re-negotiating of contracts in this world and I will not write it off as sensationalism journalism.

Well, he wasn't outstanding at Toro Rosso, he was good and solid, but he didn't set the world alight, like some drivers have done. You keep saying, though, that Lewis had an outstanding season in 2007 and has gone down hill since, so in that sense there is no evidence, so far, that the same thing wont happen to Ricciardo. Only time will tell.

Ricciardo is already leaps and bounds ahead of lewis in the same timeframe career wise when your talking about there mental strength. He did a brilliant job at toro rosso. Regularly qualifying that donkey in the top 10 and out performing his much more highly rated team mate in Jean - Eric Vergne. Basically what he is doing to seb. I believe to that dans qualifying results at toro rosso were better than vettel's, even though Vettel won a gp.

Not sure what you mean about contracts, the article says that some people in Stuttgart believe they paid too much for Hamilton. That means they are likely to offer him a reduced contract for 2016 and beyond. He is reported to be looking for a substantial increase. This is news, but I see nothing sensationalist in it.

If Jenson moves on in 2016, Lewis will probably move back to McLaren IF Stuttgart try to downgrade his salary OR he hasn't got the coveted 2nd WDC under his belt by then. With Stroll looking to buy Sauber and considering his strong ties to Ferrari, I see a Maranello junior team evolving there. There really are very slim pickings for driver who have hitherto commanded large salaries and are in their 30s. I think by 2018, Vettel may be the oldest guy on the grid!

Is it just me or is it getting a tad bit rediculous? Next we'll see toddlers as there much more aerodynamic and allow more work to be done to the car.

I was confused in the article where the source of "Hamilton to be offered a reduced deal" came from...all I can see is that it was 'voices in stuttgart say his current deal is too much/high', which seems a pretty weak source to me, especially when Wolff himself then comes out and says they very much want Hamilton to stay.

This is nothing against you Andy, just the article. If Lewis wins the WDC, which I expect him to do, I expect there'll be a contract extension, and I dont think it'll matter if its less than the 60m he's currently on or whatever it is

Ricciardo is already leaps and bounds ahead of lewis in the same timeframe career wise when your talking about there mental strength. He did a brilliant job at toro rosso. Regularly qualifying that donkey in the top 10 and out performing his much more highly rated team mate in Jean - Eric Vergne. Basically what he is doing to seb. I believe to that dans qualifying results at toro rosso were better than vettel's, even though Vettel won a gp.

Hmmm. I thought mentally, in 2007, Lewis was pretty much spot on, to be honest. It's only in the years that followed that he allowed himself to be side tracked. If you think Ricciardo was brilliant at Toro Rosso, that's fine, I am not going to argue that opinion. I am not decided on Vergne either, so I am unsure of the ultimate level Ricciardo was at Toro Rosso, however, there is no mistaking his performances this year, for sure.

However, I think it's a completely different pressure to being expected to be the underdog as Lewis was in 2007 and what Ricciardo is this year. When Ricciardo is expected to beat his team mate in a front running car and challenging for the championship is when we will see what he is made of. I think he will be ok, but then I thought the same about Lewis.

Not sure what you mean about contracts, the article says that some people in Stuttgart believe they paid too much for Hamilton. That means they are likely to offer him a reduced contract for 2016 and beyond. He is reported to be looking for a substantial increase. This is news, but I see nothing sensationalist in it.

The title of the thread is contract bombshell. Anybody renewing contracts always says they paid too much for services, especially when they think they hold the ace card, like I said and they always try to pay less for the same, or even improved, service. This happens the world over. So seems as this sort of negotiation happens all the time, what is the bombshell about it? Isn't it just normal negotiations?

Hamilton and hype. Who can tell what's what. Shrug.

Mercedes got what they paid for, media attention. Now they've got it. Ironies.

Hmmm. I thought mentally, in 2007, Lewis was pretty much spot on, to be honest. It's only in the years that followed that he allowed himself to be side tracked. If you think Ricciardo was brilliant at Toro Rosso, that's fine, I am not going to argue that opinion. I am not decided on Vergne either, so I am unsure of the ultimate level Ricciardo was at Toro Rosso, however, there is no mistaking his performances this year, for sure.

However, I think it's a completely different pressure to being expected to be the underdog as Lewis was in 2007 and what Ricciardo is this year. When Ricciardo is expected to beat his team mate in a front running car and challenging for the championship is when we will see what he is made of. I think he will be ok, but then I thought the same about Lewis.

Yeah but this isn't ricciardos first season unlike Hamilton and 07. Hamilton in 07 was fantastic, unbeleivable, but his mental preparation is stronger now than what Lewis's was in say 2010 to now, that's my point. He knows he can get better and wants to get better and he has the ability to get better. I speak so highly of him because as an Aussie, not having an f1 champ since 1980 and nearly having one in 2010 till webber stuffed it in the wall in Korea, we need the real deal, and I hope and prey that ricciardo is the answer and so far he seems to be.

Yeah but this isn't ricciardos first season unlike Hamilton and 07. Hamilton in 07 was fantastic, unbeleivable, but his mental preparation is stronger now than what Lewis's was in say 2010 to now, that's my point. He knows he can get better and wants to get better and he has the ability to get better. I speak so highly of him because as an Aussie, not having an f1 champ since 1980 and nearly having one in 2010 till webber stuffed it in the wall in Korea, we need the real deal, and I hope and prey that ricciardo is the answer and so far he seems to be.

In that sense, I guess there is a possible 1 year differential between Lewis and Ricciardo's career in terms of competitive car. If Ricciardo beats Vettel this year, then next year he will be expected, mostly, to beat him again and if the RBR is a front running car then he will be expected to compete for the championship, that might offer up a whole different pressure, if you see what I mean. Lewis had that in his 2nd year in F1 onwards and constantly being expected to beat your team mate must increase the pressure.

I think Ricciardo will be fine, he seems to have a different outlook to some of the other drivers.

Ricciardo has done better than Hamilton so far. Ricciardo has also done better than Vettel. Yet those too are still cashing in on questionable performances (when they succeeded, they were otherworldly, when they failed, it didn't happen) while Ricciardo has been given comparatively minuscule credit for accomplishing a lot more with a lot less. It is the way hype works.

Agree, with both of you. Especially on the horsepower circuit at spa. I just can't Beleive he doesn't make any mistakes. Just mind boggling how good he is.

Ricciardo has done better than Hamilton so far. Ricciardo has also done better than Vettel. Yet those too are still cashing in on questionable performances (when they succeeded, they were otherworldly, when they failed, it didn't happen) while Ricciardo has been given comparatively minuscule credit for accomplishing a lot more with a lot less. It is the way hype works.

I disagree with the last bit; this season the praise for Ricciardo comes in floods whatever website you're keen on

Agree, with both of you. Especially on the horsepower circuit at spa. I just can't Beleive he doesn't make any mistakes.

Yes but neither does Marcus Ericcson.