Clicky

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

BrisbaneAndy

Montezemolo Departs

He has been a very successful chairman, and seen Ferrari become the most profitable car manufacturer on the planet (per unit). He has often been more of a hinder than a help to the F1 team. However, I'm not sure that what ever will come next is going to be any better.

Fiat\Chrysler are looking to exploit their only profitable brand and will most likely dilute it's appeal in doing so. Luca has spent the last ten years of his reign, trying to distance Ferrari from their underwriters and ensure the heritage and prestige of the brand. Now I fear it will only be a matter of time before we see a Fiat 500 "Ferrari sport" edition in the showrooms.

He has seen Ferrari profits increase ten-fold during his tenure, and watched as many (larger) brands fell by the wayside. He is highly regarded in Italy, and I'm sure he will be keen to explore his political ambitions.

I'm sure he saw this coming, and tried to buy some time with the appointment of Mattiaci (who now may be looking over his own shoulder) as his preferred successor.. Today sounded the death-knell for Ferrari autonomy. Time will tell if that's good for Ferrari or F1. For me, F1 without glamour is just expensive touring cars.

He has done a lot for Ferrari as a manufacturer but I am tired of the politics he brings to the sport of F1. I am fairly sure he will reappear in proper politics, which could be entertaining.

More bad news for Ferrari (and Alonso in particular) , Emilio Botin (Patriarch of Santander and long time Fernando backer) has passed away. I don't see the board of Santander continuing their current level of support for F1 sponsorship on purely economic grounds.

I just hope that Ferrari is not the house of cards it appears to be at the moment.

The trend for the last generation (Politically, Globally, Financially and Socially) has been revolution rather than evolution. I'm not sure any of the revolutions in recent memory have had long term benefits.

Back to the point: Ferrari may well continue to succeed without F1, I fear the opposite would not be the case.

Next, Ferrari F1 team will Exit F1. Ferrari doesn't make turbo road cars (hardly and not good at them) so they can't handle F1 turbos. Their expertise in NA engines with lots of cylinders. byebye.gif

Very sad to see Luca leaving. And I don't like how the FIAT CEO criticized him either this past weekend. Please for the love of God, get Brawn back in charge, otherwise Ferrari are going downhill fast, and they've already been sucking for years.

I hope not. I saw a Panamera the other day, why would they do that? Funny that the company that produced one of the prettiest cars ever in the 458 could come up with the FF, which only a mother could love.

The 458 is my favourite modern day Ferrari such a beutiful car and very aggressive at the same time.

Did you see the payout? E27M, of which about half will be paid in January in return for his agreement not to compete with the fiat/Chrysler group. I have no idea how that might happen. The other half will be paid in 20 years.

What? He will be 87 then.

I think it was this year, perhaps last, that Ferrari's official presentation video had shots of the factory worker's, drivers, etc, before the unveiling of the car. Yet the only person driving at all was this pompous fool, Montezemolo. Good riddance. F1 and Ferrari will move on without missing a single beat.

Other than that, we all know that F1 is no longer a sport. It just is a marketing campaign with some stunts and such. If Ferrari sees profit in it, they will stay. There is no other reason for them to do so. If they want to compete, they will have to look elsewhere. So do we all.

The only hope for motorracing fans is for a new category to take the place of F1, a category that has a media presence/share but a category that does not exist for the sake of a media presence/share.

I think it was this year, perhaps last, that Ferrari's official presentation video had shots of the factory worker's, drivers, etc, before the unveiling of the car. Yet the only person driving at all was this pompous fool, Montezemolo. Good riddance. F1 and Ferrari will move on without missing a single beat.

Other than that, we all know that F1 is no longer a sport. It just is a marketing campaign with some stunts and such. If Ferrari sees profit in it, they will stay. There is no other reason for them to do so. If they want to compete, they will have to look elsewhere. So do we all.

The only hope for motorracing fans is for a new category to take the place of F1, a category that has a media presence/share but a category that does not exist for the sake of a media presence/share.

That rules out most top echelons of motorsport - you'd have to go down to your local circuit where middle-aged blokes turn up with stock cars on the back of trailers, where the only sponsor is the local newspaper

If you you wanna to watch pure racing without the bullcrap, go watch karting.

If you wanna watch a global motorfest that is dependent on big business and politics for its existence, then you need good businessmen and effective politicians on board. Luca has proven beyond doubt that he his both.

If Ferrari are just going to become just an ordinary manufacturer in the sport, then they will surely do the same as all the others (Jaguar, Renault, Honda, BMW etc...) and walk away if they're not winning. The sport needs a global racing brand to have any sort of credibility - that's why Bernie pays Ferrari much more than any other team! Every team wants to beat Ferrari - even Merc seem to get no kick out of beating RedBull!

Those who seem to be waiting to dance on Ferrari's grave...........may well find themselves dancing on F1's grave.

Will Ferrari honestly leave f1 though? They have threatned to in the past, heck even built a Indycar to proove to the FIA if things wernt changed,they had proof they would leave. Here's a pic of there Indy car

f637.jpg

That rules out most top echelons of motorsport - you'd have to go down to your local circuit where middle-aged blokes turn up with stock cars on the back of trailers, where the only sponsor is the local newspaper

Nonsense.

There are plenty of categories that run on their own steam if nothing else because they get nearly zero TV coverage.

The issue here is what sets the agenda. I'm not saying that media should be eliminated. I'm saying that media cannot determine how to race because it does not have the mechanisms to process the variable outcomes of competition. Shows are meant to deliver entertainment. Competition is a form of cooperation. There is no common ground, these are two categorically different activities.

Consider soccer or basketball. Media has provided incredible wealth to these sport. But no one is talking about regulations that limit, or simply manage, the competition in order to manufacture a better "viewer experience". Imagine if late season goals were to count double or if a chasing player was allowed "extra speed" to overtake a runaway. It's stupid beyond belief. It could make for a great show (although it wouldn't, as shown in F1) but it would torpedo the competitive aspect of the sport.

The fact is that F1 is ruled by those that want to cater to people that do not consider competition itself to be sufficiently interesting.

I have a very bad feeling about this Fiat CEO coming in. The way he spoke down to Luca leaves me feeling the Ferrari F1 team is going to be turned on it's head. They don't need the entire factory fired, they simply need the right people in the right positions. Brawn is needed for starters. But that's another topic. He may not even get on with the Fiat guy, who knows.

Surely Fiat/Ferrari could have still retained Luca in some capacity. Regardless of how the F1 team has gone these past 5-6 years, Luca has made Ferrari into a behemoth, all the while through the GFC, and other ups and downs. To cut him off like a dead limb, without somehow retaining his knowledge and know how is very short cited indeed. I do not see the Fiat CEO lasting 23 years. We will look back on the Luca era in years to come, probably with rose tinted glasses, but also with some realism to see just how great a period of time it was. Politics or not, Luca is a legend of the sport, and he deserved to be treated far better than this.

Nonsense.

There are plenty of categories that run on their own steam if nothing else because they get nearly zero TV coverage.

The issue here is what sets the agenda. I'm not saying that media should be eliminated. I'm saying that media cannot determine how to race because it does not have the mechanisms to process the variable outcomes of competition. Shows are meant to deliver entertainment. Competition is a form of cooperation. There is no common ground, these are two categorically different activities.

Consider soccer or basketball. Media has provided incredible wealth to these sport. But no one is talking about regulations that limit, or simply manage, the competition in order to manufacture a better "viewer experience". Imagine if late season goals were to count double or if a chasing player was allowed "extra speed" to overtake a runaway. It's stupid beyond belief. It could make for a great show (although it wouldn't, as shown in F1) but it would torpedo the competitive aspect of the sport.

The fact is that F1 is ruled by those that want to cater to people that do not consider competition itself to be sufficiently interesting.

agree 100%