Clicky

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Jem of the Shire

F1 2014 Video Game

My copy is arriving in the post tomorrow, which is the day it comes out in the UK.

Anyone else getting it?

I never played F1 2013, which I think is the only f1 game since f1 '95 that I didnt buy!

I've warned my wife already to be irritated by the constant whine of engine noises.

Nope I'm on xbox 360.

I'm generally 5 years behind the rest of the world when it comes to technology, fashion, hairstyles, games etc. I only recently started playing online regularly, and quickly became addicted to GTA 5!

So i'm looking forward to racing online, and no doubt realising i'm not as good as I thought I was.

Yeah I got it. Massive improvement over the previous titles in the series. The sound actually sounds quite good, hearing the turbo boost up and the waste gate open every time you lift of. The car control is alot better and I've started my first season with Ferrari and have one pole,one win and one fastest lap under my belt, just qualified third for Malaysia only beating to pole by lewis and daniel by a tenth, crazy qualy, not bad for a rookie though hey ;) vastly enjoying it though. One thing i always do when the new f1 game comes out and that's try every car on the same circuit and see the discrepancies between them. I've tried all of them on the Austria circuit and there is quite a big gap between say a Caterham and even a Mclaren. But all in all, perfect step up in the series and can't wait for hours of enjoyment I shall get out of this. Well done codies.

As for gta, don't feel bad, I've never played it online. Still I manage to have heaps of fun running around myself. Plenty to do in 5. Oceans to explore, go for a ride in the forest on a quad or a dirt bike. Custom cars, I've gotten quite good at golf to. Managed 5 under par yesterday.

Yeah I got it. Massive improvement over the previous titles in the series. The sound actually sounds quite good, hearing the turbo boost up and the waste gate open every time you lift of. The car control is alot better and I've started my first season with Ferrari and have one pole,one win and one fastest lap under my belt, just qualified third for Malaysia only beating to pole by lewis and daniel by a tenth, crazy qualy, not bad for a rookie though hey ;) vastly enjoying it though. One thing i always do when the new f1 game comes out and that's try every car on the same circuit and see the discrepancies between them. I've tried all of them on the Austria circuit and there is quite a big gap between say a Caterham and even a Mclaren. But all in all, perfect step up in the series and can't wait for hours of enjoyment I shall get out of this. Well done codies.

As for gta, don't feel bad, I've never played it online. Still I manage to have heaps of fun running around myself. Plenty to do in 5. Oceans to explore, go for a ride in the forest on a quad or a dirt bike. Custom cars, I've gotten quite good at golf to. Managed 5 under par yesterday.

Do ya have it on pc or console I'm glad your saying it's good because so many people are giving it bad press . P.s jammy Aussies get everything before us . If I had a recommendation for any sim racers I'd say get a pc because you enjoy everything cranked up to the max at 60fps

I've got it on ps3. I don't need a pc bro, I work at a simulator place were we have 15k simulators running r factor2. We also have a playstation sim set up and we were running f1 2014 and I found it better than the r factor f1 mods. This seems to be the trend every single year a new game is released. I don't think I've ever seen one good review about any of there f1 games, always something to whinge about. I personally feel its the best of the bunch, the car control feels alot more solid and the biggest improvement is the AI. They actually slipstream you and try make a pass.

Man I be been playing f1 games ever since Geoff crammonds GP2. It only took me two secs to master this one, only slightly changing the way I accelerate out of corners. That's all I had to adjust to this years game, I used my 2013 setup with slight tweaks and was immediately faster than everyone else. Just did Malaysia where I qualified third and won the race. Lewis was on pole then ricciardo then me. Dan beat lewis of the start and so did I and I was in and epic battle with ricciardo before nearly making contact to pass on the last corner, diving deep and got him with three laps to go. Just qualified 4th for Bahrain just in front of fernando.

I've got it on ps3. I don't need a pc bro, I work at a simulator place were we have 15k simulators running r factor2. We also have a playstation sim set up and we were running f1 2014 and I found it better than the r factor f1 mods. This seems to be the trend every single year a new game is released. I don't think I've ever seen one good review about any of there f1 games, always something to whinge about. I personally feel its the best of the bunch, the car control feels alot more solid and the biggest improvement is the AI. They actually slipstream you and try make a pass.

You work in a simulator place me jealous of you omigo lol . It's intresting you say that about the game ( I ain't t tried it yet will do soon) when f1 2013 came out everybody whinned about it and frankly overall I thought it was a big step up for. 2012 because the ai cars almost behaved like human players in 2013 much better then 2012 so if your saying the ai are better again I reckon I'll be in For a real treat

Regarding a trip down memory lane my first f1 game I ever played was formula 1 97 on playstation and I played everyone beyond that one until f1 2006 on ps2. Between then and 2010 I played Grand Prix 4for hours using 07 and 08 mods until f1 2013 Grand Prix 4 remained my favorite f1 game

Gp2 I still think till this day is the most realistic sim ever made. Just the graphics are appalling, but it is an ancient game.

Not fair why does Australia get it before UK? Aren't Codemasters based in UK? Man we get everything last!

Good to hear that it's awesome. I'll be giving it a go tonight. As I never played f1 2013 I'm bound to be pretty rubbish at first

Just did Bahrain where I started fourth. Couldn't get past ricciardo for a while, in the mean time the two mercs romped away, when I finally passed him, I was 6 secs behind Rosberg and man was it ever a mission to try and close the gap. I had to strategically use my rich fuel setting, switching between normal and rich to try and close the gap to nico. One lap I managed to do a ripper and close the gap to 5.8secs, the very next lap nico responded and the gap was back up to 6secs. Had awesome fun trying to catch and I was on the limit but in the end I had to settle for third. Having a blast with it ATM, just qualified fourth again for the Chinese Grand Prix. Best part is, when you start a career you don't have to settle for Marussia,Caterham or toro rosso, you can drive whatever you want. Just bare in mind Jem, that whatever car you pic in career,you will replace the number two driver. So I started with Ferrari and took kimis spot. Lol. Don't be hatin'

I had to strategically use my rich fuel setting, switching between normal and rich

See now that kind of thing I'd have no idea. In fact when it comes to pre-race setup I always just go with the automatic set up that the computer gives (eg at monza you just assume the computer sorts you out with low downforce).

I wonder who counts as number 2 if you drive for Mercedes?? Or Red Bull?

Nico at Mercedes I know you replace, but Redbull not sure. Don't assume the default setup is the best. You can gain up to 20-30kph top end on monza if you set it up right,make tyres last longer and such. I usual do like 5 laps on each circuit in fp, to get my setups. That's only because I know my 2013 setups of by heart at each circuit so I only do so many laps to tweak my older setups and them save them all. So next time I visit that circuit all I have to do is load it up. But circuits like Sochi and Austria take alot more time as I have no info (just like reali life, how sick). Harder doing wet weather setups. Just because its wet in qualy, it might not be in the race, so you have to decide what setup you want. Find it much more fun that just going out with default. If you have no luck. Just google setups for f1 2014. I don't know if there would be any posted yet as game is so new but that's all you had to google for previous games. Might have to wait a week or so if you can't find them on google. As for fuel mixtures, you have a HUD that can come up on your screen on your right and it elks you everything,from tyre where,how much fuel you have, if your ahead of fuel compared to laps left so you can turn the mixture to rich and it allows more speed but don't forget to turn it back or you might run out of fuel. Also tells you when you will box. It has multiple menus so you have to press the button a few times to go through them.

Sounds like I'm going to need a lot of practise! Also sounds perfect for F1 anoraks like us. There goes my weekend lol

Man I be been playing f1 games ever since Geoff crammonds GP2. It only took me two secs to master this one, only slightly changing the way I accelerate out of corners. That's all I had to adjust to this years game, I used my 2013 setup with slight tweaks and was immediately faster than everyone else. Just did Malaysia where I qualified third and won the race. Lewis was on pole then ricciardo then me. Dan beat lewis of the start and so did I and I was in and epic battle with ricciardo before nearly making contact to pass on the last corner, diving deep and got him with three laps to go. Just qualified 4th for Bahrain just in front of fernando.

Pole Position on the Atari 400. I have no idea what you will make of that if you think the graphics are ancient on GP2! :lol:

I was pretty good at Geoff Crammond's first Grand Prix game. I used to have to mod it just to make it harder for me to beat the computer, I used to play it that much. Not really played too many racing games since then, but Grand Prix Legends was pretty good, although I never spent the same time on it.

Gp2 you could cheat, if you were coming into a corner to fast, just quickly turn traction back on and it would save you from going of, well most of the time. Just it's realism in terms if contact with other cars and if you went of in the gravel, you would be lucky to get back out. Plus the multiple different retirment causes was epic from puntures to suspension failures, engine failures, till this day there hasn't been a game like it. Should be remade to today's graphics. Would be

The best game ever.

Yep, I played GP2, GP3 and GP4, they are on the shelf in front of me, in fact, but I never got into any of the sequels as much as I did the first Grand Prix game he did.

I think possibly the first Crammond game I played, though, was Stunt Car Racer, but I don't think I got into that very much.

Played it a bit over the weekend, initially I was dreadful but soon found my feet and started Career mode.

Decided to drive for Ferrari, and on the second-hardest AI level. 2 races in, and I have 2 second places. Qualified 4th then 2nd.

Everything is great although it doesnt quite capture the mercedes dominance fully enough. In race 1, vettel raced off into the distance and won with ease, in race 2 Ricciardo did the same, and the Mercs were just scrapping amongst the front rather than being 1.5 secs ahead of everyone else.

Looking forward to trying out the 'scenario mode' but haven't had a chance yet.

There mercs are pretty spot on with mine. Maybe you've just had a couple "funny" races. It happens sometimes. Heck I had to fight Perez for a win at monza while he was in a sauber ffs on f1 2012, so yeah you get them, iam already at hockenhiem, with 6 wins so far and leading the championship in a Ferrari aswell. The thing I noticed the most was the start and first corner is absolutly critical in the outcome of the race. If you find yourself not leading after the first turn, get your skates on because your about to turn this into a epic battle. It really requires fast and clean driving to catch AI cars if your not leading the race. This is my favourite element by far.

one thing I've realised is that I always mistakes when pressured from behind.

Do you have it on hardest difficulty AI? I keep traction control and ABS on but turn off everything else.

Yeah hardest AI and difficulty, every aid of. That's when strategising with fuel mixtures help. See if you can keep up the pace and save fuel, the better because later in the stint when your tyres start to go, you have some sort of defense in being able to run the engine richer giving you more power. Got to bare in mind you still have to finish the race and can't refuel on stops so its crucial you keep an eye on your usage. Biggest fuel eater is feathering the throttle out of corners. That drinks it, you have to apply the power at the right time and smoothly while being quick at it also, quite a technique to master. But if you have played 2013 with those horrendous pirelli's, you'll be quite good at 2014. It actual rewards you in a sense if you have mastered that form, realising when it's time to box, your tyres are still in good knick, not like barely hanging on at risk of tyre failure just to make it to the pit window. Which was 2013's downfall IMO.

Ah I'm more the lazy gamer - I have full traction control so I just blast the throttle coming out of a corner! With f1 2012 I just got irritated either spinning constantly or having to exit too slow.

And with ABS off I just found the brakes locked every time. You're just a lot better than me lol

I've just played them for years and that's the advantage, I've played f1 games since like 1990 and since the psygnosis game "formula one" which was released on ps1 for the 95 season, most console f1 games have a similar feel in terms of the circuits and most of the circuits have been around a while so you get used to the turn in points and braking points so when a new one is released, you might only have to learn one or two new circuits and just how the cars handle, compared to learning the entire game so all you have to do is slightly alter certain things when new games come out. Setups help ALOT, spring settings,ride heights,toe in and out, camber, dampers, all can shave alot of time of your laps as well as save tyres and fuel. That's my favourite bit, trying to find good setups, then when I come back to the same circuit the next season, I load the setup up and try and tweak it again till I find the perfect setting for each circuit.