Clicky

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

radical-one

Horner - F1 Needs Healthy Competition

Who agree or disagree on this ?

I agree. There shouldn't be a strict freeze on engine or any other parts during the season. What they could do is limit the time for changes/upgrades , say like maximum of 3 times upgrade allowed on engine each season, etc. But complete freeze, no. It's not fun to watch the same car in front of the field from the start of the season till the end...

What's your take guys ?

http://www.gptoday.com/full_story/view/504822/Horner_F1_needs_healthy_competition/

This will only ever happen if Bernie stops stuffing his pockets. After all these years and formula one being reckonised all over the world as the pinnacle of Motorsport but yet try cut costs and run it like a statewide formula 3 series. It's a joke, why do they have to consistantly cut costs? If there were saving money which they should have been because they have been in this "cost cutting" frame of mind for years now, where is this money going if they have to consistanly have to cut costs? Doesn't make any sense, it's clearly not being injected back into the sport like Bernie suggested other wise they wouldn't have to keep taking "cost cutting" measures. Care to tell us where this money has gone Bernie?

I would let engines manufacturers to get more equal, but mr Horner did you forget Red Bull's four years of domination! It isn't the same cause this is engine and Red Bull had aero domination, but why would Merc gave up their advantage!?

It's regulation what's making F1 unhealthy and uncompetitive. It forces teams to spend their efforts on a very narrow range of research so that they develop very similar cars with very similar performance. But it is no more than a bullsht attempt to manufacture competition through politics, a bullsht attempt that has been shown to fail every time. Competition is born of freedom, it cannot be mandated.

Consider, a simple example. Turbos were banned as too dangerous until this year when they miraculously became mandatory. Forcing folks into one direction or another cost money and compromises the competition.

The fact is that the rule book is a disgrace. Safety should be the number one consideration, not the number one excuse to justify underhanded political maneuvering (mass dumper, double diffuser, etc, etc, etc).

Let teams spend whatever money they can raise in whatever way they want. The result would be more interesting for everyone, from engineers to fans.

EDIT: I spy with my little eye...

Nah can't see that happening.

Who knows, maybe FIA will bring at the same work table representatives of all engine manufacturers and tell them to draw blueprints of engine together! And every manufacturer will make their engine with their name but using those blueprints, with same price!

Who knows, maybe FIA will bring at the same work table representatives of all engine manufacturers and tell them to draw blueprints of engine together! And every manufacturer will make their engine with their name but using those blueprints, with same price!

Or Ferrari and Red Bull withdraws leaving only Merc as the single engine supplier ....

I would let engines manufacturers to get more equal, but mr Horner did you forget Red Bull's four years of domination! It isn't the same cause this is engine and Red Bull had aero domination, but why would Merc gave up their advantage!?

I agree completely.

Anyway we've had a great season so I see no problem. Yes Merc have dominated but it's still been fascinating and we've seen dominance several times before in F1 even when there weren't engine freezes.

When Seb won 9 races in a row I didn't hear Christian saying we need healthy competition. He needs to shut up and go and bang harder on Renault's doors

F1 Domination in recent years was like this :

Ferrari

Red bull

now Merc.

Regardless of the past,

Going forward a more open approach like 3 engine upgrades a season would be nice to give chance to others in catching up.

That may make F1 a little more competitive and avoid pure dominance of any team - perhaps good for Fans?

F1 Domination in recent years was like this :

Ferrari

Red bull

now Merc.

Regardless of the past,

Going forward a more open approach like 3 engine upgrades a season would be nice to give chance to others in catching up.

That may make F1 a little more competitive and avoid pure dominance of any team - perhaps good for Fans?

It goes full circle doesn't it? Your forgot Renault, Mclaren,Williams.

I am a thinking a bit different nowdays. F1 is bloody expensive to compete in. Therefore it requires a huge commitment from any backer to just keep pouring out money.

Because of this the likely hood of the smaller budget teams to fail is extremely high, with or without any in season testing/ power unit upgrades etc. Therefore it realy is only likely that a handful of the richest teams can compete in this sport and because of that I feel that the teams should NOT be restricted to cost cutting. If you can't afford to be in it, then get out..

That's Bernie fault though, for turning it into the marketing spectacle it is. Wasn't even this bad when we had tobacco advertising therefore heaps more companies involved. Bernie is just using it as a sponge now and the "real" racing side of things is a thing of the past. We can only reminisce by looking at photos and remembering that particular gp.

When Bernie was in charge of Brabham, F1 didn't have a big global audience, well nothing like what it is today or anywhere near. When Bernie took charge of F1 he gave us all the benefit of watching live F1, at every race rather than just a few, so we should thank him.

I still dislike bringing in new circuits at countries who just want to market themselves a bit before deciding they dont want to pay any more, and I dislike his meddling sometimes, but if it weren't for Bernie then we probably wouldnt have been able to watch all those races when we were younger

True. Like him or loathe him, he brought F1 out of the dark ages and turned it into a global spectacle.

I loathe him, if this was Big Brother it would be time to go....... Bernie!

Well I guess we can agree on one thing about Bernie. Is that he HAS done heaps for the home viewer don't get me wrong, but every time he puts a new offer on the board it's got a feeling like it has to take something to fit in the new regs. Like its loosing more and more of its originality. Now Bernie has gotten out of control, he has had a taste and now has basically sold his soul to the devil.