Clicky

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Emmcee

Driverless Audi Tackles Hockenhiem

I read somewhere that the lap time set by that driverless car was 5 seconds quicker that a race car drivers lap in a similar car ??

Well that's the beginning of the end then, in 10 years time we'll see Red Bull replace their lead driver Max Verstappen with RoboDriver mark 1, if we don't even need drivers any more!

One thing I wonder with this driverless Audi thing, is, what's the point?

I read somewhere that the lap time set by that driverless car was 5 seconds quicker that a race car drivers lap in a similar car ??

not sure if this car made timed lap!

Don't know how would software deal with sudden over steer and under steer! Drivers feel through their seats how is car behaving, i don't think that software could predict possible oversteer or understeer for some corners , or try to push car to the limit!

It's so precise though, it won't understeer or oversteer, should have done it coming into the stadium section. It drives it at basically 100% with no mistakes. See how smooth it turns itself around the corners? No driver on the face of the planet can turn in that smooth.

It's so precise though, it won't understeer or oversteer, should have done it coming into the stadium section. It drives it at basically 100% with no mistakes. See how smooth it turns itself around the corners? No driver on the face of the planet can turn in that smooth.

I am not sure it is on 100%!

I know its software actually has all sort of controls of brakes and throttle which means it has traction control too! Human driver can't imitate traction control so machine is in advantage here, but I still believe that in direct race, human would win it!

Yeah your probably right, be intresting to see if it knows how to defend its position and return to the racing line and still see if the car is still as smooth through the corner.

well my Suzuki Kizashi 4 wheel drive has an anti skid /slip computer system that transfers power from front to rear wheels depending if it is going to understeer or oversteer and so far I have not been able to beat the computer, so anything is possible.

well my Suzuki Kizashi 4 wheel drive has an anti skid /slip computer system that transfers power from front to rear wheels depending if it is going to understeer or oversteer and so far I have not been able to beat the computer, so anything is possible.

My aunt drives better than you. :D

Well traction control did make drivers go faster, no doubt about it. Electronics react faster than any human, but i don't think that they can outsmart us.

If your good enough with the pedal, you'll be quicker than TC, TC can "bog" the car down out of slow corners if power is applied too soon.

The first thing any decent driver will do before setting a lap time is ditch TC, ESP, DSC or whatever the particular manufacturer calls it.

Intervention stratgeies vary. The Mercedes ESP system is very aggressive and makes the car feel like it is bogged in mud if you have a go. If you switch it off, it does not go off, rather it backs off to something like 80%. It really dumbs an AMG down, which sucks.

The Porsche system, PASM, allows a lot of freedom before it cuts in just before you spin it. If you turn it off, it is literally off and you are on your own. Truth be told, a driver of my ability and limitations would not notice the difference.

It would be almost impossible to spin an AMG with ESP at 100%, but it is possible to spin a 911 with PASM on, if you try hard enough. Trust me on this one.

well I guess what you are saying Andy is that IF Audi have perfected esp better then either Porsche or Merc then it is possible for that car to drive around the cicuit like the one in the Video.

Hmm having watched the video I'm not sure if it is that impressive. There is no Lidar visible, which implies that the car is just driving using GPS.

i.e. technician pre-plots the track into its driving computer and off it goes.

Yes, technically wonderful and all, but I'd be more impressed if it was driving autonomously.

That is correct, it's programmed not finding it's own way. So if this car ever happened to go into production, it would be an absolute nightmare to pre load everything actually impossible, it would take years.