Clicky

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Insider

Get Well Frank - The Sport Is Going To Hell!

We are told that Sir Frank Williams is hospitalised and that daughter Clare is by his side. This is sad news indeed. Frank's ailment seems to be a pressure sore, an ailment notoriously difficult to heal. At 72, Sir Frank is thought to be the World's oldest quadriplegic has been in a wheelchair since 1968. That's 46 years and something had to give eventually. You would think the FIA would have more serious problems on their agenda than the non-attendance of a TP at a press conference. The thing is, with Force India, Sauber and Lotus all crying foul over the distribution of TV cash and threatening to strike, William's calm moderation would be a huge help at this time. I actually think they have a hugely valid point. Of all the privateers, Williams F1 are perhaps more stable than most but the the personal and corporate fortunes of those at the middle and back of the grid have dwindled or disappeared. That is a huge commitment which FOM are most reluctant to match. They were only too ready to get new teams involved with a Cosworth engine and a £40m cap. What happened to that. OK, well with a rigorous due diligence structure in place, you can let everyone have an equal share of the purse. If Ferrari want more then FOM pay that premium. It's not rocket science - is it?

As if Bernie cares mate. I read that he wouldnt intervene even if 14 cars run on the grid. As for frank, I hope he gets through it as I firmly Beleive Williams will deteriorate quickly without his presence.

Ah that is BS from Bernie; he has contracts with the circuits guaranteeing that a minimum of 18 cars will run. Why do you think Force India's engine bill (for which they were struggling to pay Mercedes) mysteriously got paid?

The Concorde agreement has a trigger that if the number of teams drops below 18 the top teams have to field 3 cars.

So this really is a bl**dy mess!