Clicky

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Emmcee

Van Der Garde Gets Race Seat In Court Ruling.

I'm wondering if the 2nd seat will alternate between Nasr and Ericcson like the 1995 Ligier seat? I think that's what will end up happening, I don't think it was a great move by Van Der Garde to pursue the legal situation at sauber, they might start treating him like rubbish. But hey, he didn't have a drive anyway, so I guess he had nothing to loose, #bringbackpedrodiniz

Not only that, he won't end up with a drive after 2015. No one will touch him now.

Oh well, I guess people thought the same thing when Adrian Sutil glassed Eric Lux back in 2011 I think it was, but he came back to the sport, I'm wondering if Adrian will do what Giedo just did, didn't he have a 2 year contract with Sauber? U may know more than what I do Web

Well apparently he is in court proceedings with sauber aswell. Another article I read mentioned exactly that. Sutil was abit different situation though and also he had prooven himself more so than vdg so he was a driver smaller teams did concider quite frequently when deciding drivers. I don't think Sutil was to crash hot but teams see things we don't and know things we don't so yeah. But at the end of the day, you can't sign contracts and not follow them not once but twice to two seperate drivers on two seperate occasions. Monisha has to go, sauber are loosing to much money with her in control.

Couldn't agree more, Sauber need someone like Patrick Head or Ross Brawn to steer the ship, she has been nothing but problems, I would laugh if you are right n sutil gets a drive as well, it would prove once n for all that she has no idea

Don't fault Van Der Garde for standing up for himself. He not only brought huge sponsorship money to Sauber, he had a valid contract. Sauber are 110% at fault here. They signed a contact with Van Der Garde, took his sponsorship money, and then just expected him to roll over when they signed two new drivers? Sutil also had a valid contract but hasn't made any legal moves yet.

Sauber are no more in my view. Peter was the heart any soul of that racing team, now they have a lawyer running the show who appears to not have a clue when it comes to contracts. She has to go period, but she's also an owner of the team, so it's not so easy to get rid of her.

Saubers pathetic attempts to justify their screwing over of Van Der Garde are comical. I'm not even a Van Der Garde fan, but to even suggest it would be unsafe for him to drive this years car, when Nasr has NEVER driven a F1 race is utterly absurb. So much so, they didn't even seem to contest they broke a binding contract, rather we got the excuse that it saves 300 people in the team, then that it would take 2 weeks to fit his seat, and then that it was just unsafe to let him drive. Van Der Garde brought millions to the team. That saved jobs and helped keep Sauber around.

No matter how it's done, MK has to go. I've never liked her since she took over. But this is proof to me at least in my view that she needs to go. And I dearly hope Peter steps in here and does what is right and corrects this woefully handled situation.

Ohh g'day monkey how's things?

No your absolutley right, vdg did the right thing but it will taint his image IMO and teams will steer ckear of him in the future. That's just how I see it atm. Sauber want to appeal aswell I Beleive, how do they have the nerve to do that? Like you said, they took his money and hoped he would just hang in the background until needed again, signed him to a legal contract and still want to call the shots, iam with you on sauber aswell, they died the day peter surrendered control. Iam not a vdg fan either but he has every right to go with what he has done. But it won't go down well for future employment. Now if all Sh#t hits the fan, they will have another 3 drivers doing the same thing vdg has done.

Not only that, he won't end up with a drive after 2015. No one will touch him now.

I disagree, I think if he does a good job in 2015 (assuming he does drive) he won't be ruined by this court case, cos he's 100% in the right.

What a farce by Sauber, Ron must be pleased that another team is taking some attention away, Monica really has c0cked up here, and she's a qualified lawyer I believe?? Gotta feel for Ericcson who it's understood would be the one making way. It's either that or Sauber just stick 2 fingers up and race with Nasr & Ericcson anyway and see where that lands them. How can a team allow such a stupid situation to occur!

I disagree, I think if he does a good job in 2015 (assuming he does drive) he won't be ruined by this court case, cos he's 100% in the right.

What a farce by Sauber, Ron must be pleased that another team is taking some attention away, Monica really has c0cked up here, and she's a qualified lawyer I believe?? Gotta feel for Ericcson who it's understood would be the one making way. It's either that or Sauber just stick 2 fingers up and race with Nasr & Ericcson anyway and see where that lands them. How can a team allow such a stupid situation to occur!

I don't think it will harm his chances either for future drives. His talent and ironically his sponsorship money will determine that. He's no PQ Jr, so he may not be cast out of the paddock forever.

I'm simply disgusted by MK and Sauber's behaviour. The lengths at which they have gone to porposefully hinder their compliance is getting me to the point I actually want their assets frozen, and MK arrested for contempt.

It's great to see Button coming out in Support of VDG, and stating Sauber's pathetic attempt to state putting him the car was bad for safety grounds was incorrect. Also good to see Perez coming out in support of VDG as well.

I still think Sauber will get away with this unfortunately. They seem hell bent on not complying, and doing everything they possibly can to not let VDG drive. I honestly hope the Sauber board step in here and boot MK, that Peter comes back on board in a caretaker role until such time as they find someone with a conscience and a heart.

I actually want to see VDG race. He brought in over $8m in sponsorship money and it's heartbreaking and maddening to see idiots on other forums and various news articles criticizing VDG, saying he should stop being a spoiled brat, to suck it up, the benefits of the many outway the benefits of the one etc. bulls##t. He has everyright to fight for his rights and we should all be applauding him. If Sauber go under, it will not because of VSG, but purely down to the innept actions of MK and her advisors if she even has any.

Hmm. Seems Sauber and VDG have reached and out of court settlement. He's dropping his case to race this weekend, apparently on the word he can work out something with Sauber to race later on. I don't trust or believe anything that comes from MK or Sauber now. I think he's thrown away his best chance to race again as Sauber will skate on this one, and if things goto court again, I doubt very much VDG will find a fast efficient court system like in VIC.

Sauber and more importantly MK have lost all credibility. Only Peter coming back, removing MK and setting them on the right path again will undo this. Peter never would have treated his drivers like this.

Absolutley not, not to mention his own team and name. It's like a dispute amongst formula ford drivers for the last seat. So unprofessional. Whats this crap I read that vdg doesn't even have a valid licence? What crap is that? Why would he go to court if he knew he couldn't drive? And then for sauber to say he is a safety risk. Ffs clutching at straws here arnt they?

The issue with VDG super license was purely down to Sauber not signing off on the paperwork. Due to his involvement and having raced in F1 in the past, he qualifies. However the team he races for, have to apply for a super license from both the drivers country of origin and the FIA. Since MK wrote to the FIA and stated VDG's contract had been terminated, the FIA had no reason to issue a super license.

Thus it boils down to Sauber yet again hindering him, because from his part he is certainly qualified to own a super license.

Sauber bringing up the safety issue in court is pathetic. We've see driver chances happen many times in the past. Manor hasn't even tested, let alone managed to hit the track. Not a peep from anyone about safety.

If it was against some obscure rule to have ones shoe laces undone, or that you could not wear bright green underwear, Sauber would have used that in court to try to defend their actions. That's how pathetic they have become.

MK has to go. There cannot be any other outcome. She has damaged the team, sponsorship, and their good reputation. However they did screw over the Hulk with payments not made, and did the same to Sutil as they did to VDG. I hope Sutil looks at this and starts his own legal proceedings.

Ahh I see, I knew he qualified, as like you mentioned, previous experience in the category automatically qualifies you, that's why Schumi could came back right away. Good point to, it most definatly is sauber not standing by common contractual agreements. Now you mention it, it stands out even more, whats even more shocking is MK used to be a lawyer. This could hurt them even more as knowing the outcome and penalties more so than an average person automatically holds you in contempt. Am I right?

I don't know anything about legal precedents or contempt of court. I do know I would never hire MK as a lawyer though.

She's as dishonest and two faced as they come.

To quote her:

“The situation was intense. I’m glad that we all could resolve it,” she said.

“All the parties co-operated well and this good spirit in my view is reflected in both the statements.”

This is the same person that has been stonewalling for months. Has refused to co-operate or change her view on things. And essentially scammed VDG and his backers out of $8m+. She is utterly lying when she said all parties co-operated. She has not done so and has lost 3x separate court appearances. She is a liar and a fraud IMHO.

I noted Peter Sauber was in the garage yesterday. I don't think that was a co-incidence. I'd like to believe he's stepped in and offered MK a deal she cannot refuse.

Let's hope she will be replaced soon and then only then, maybe Sauber's once great name can be salvaged.

Monisha is going nowhere. Peter Sauber was very firm on that. I cannot imagine how this situation developed but they had probably spent a chunk of VDGs cash and couldn't back out. They are desperate to survive and a bigger pie came along. I wouldn't want to race for a team who didn't want me. By getting legal about it he has now become toxic as a driving property elsewhere. Shame but true. Either a car share or a buy-off seem to be the only options or to fix him up with an Formula E or WEC drive. I think she is pretty useless both as a lawyer and TP. Her prowess was in the board room and the factory. They need a new front of house face for a while and maybe a VW/Audi takeover in the end. Talking about TPs with skirts, I was appalled to hear Claire W say that Suzie wouldn't get the drive if Bottas was not fit for Malaysia. Mercedes power again, eh? I think she would be fine personally. I think it would be entirely wrong for Wehrlein to drive a Williams when he is retained by Mercedes. Out of order.

Button came out supporting G-VDG? Although I haven't read that story yet, my first thought is it'd be a bit rich of Jenson to be judgmental of others handling their driver contracts!! (2004 & 2005 anyone?)

Re Wolff, I agree insider, and it's sad proof that Williams never seriously intended to give Wolff her big break. She must be gutted

Clearly prooves it's a marketing stunt. Complete a holes. Well vdg took 15 mill and ran, I didnt think sauber had that money lol.

This was not a marketing stunt WebRic. Nothing about the situation that unfolded gave this impression to me. Rather VDG was fighting for his rights. Your comment about him taking the money and running is wrong on so many levels. In VDG's own words...

http://thisisf1.com/...-season-opener/

It felt very strange. I find it hard to describe what I really went through — (girlfriend) Denise can confirm that.

But I knew that I must remain cool, van der Garde told the Dutch magazine Formule 1.

I should have gone to the team and said 'Hello, I'm here to drive'. But then I went to the motorhome and nobody said

anything. All those people I worked with before, ignored me. Nobody looks at you and you think to yourself 'What's going on?'

I walked to (team manager) Beat (Zehnder) and he shoved me a race suit and shoes and said 'Here'. I dressed in the

garage to have the seat fitting, but the pedals were set up for (Marcus) Ericsson. Nothing could be changed.

They didn't adjust the foam — nothing. Just two mechanics (were there), as everyone else was sent away. That was very

weird, because normally they would be there, working.

I don't know what the team told those guys, but if they are honest, they would acknowledge that they only received their

salaries because of our early payment in 2014. And then suddenly we are the enemies, which is of course bulls##t, said van der Garde.

I understand that they were worried their jobs were in jeopardy, but I think we deserved a little more credit, he continued.

Only the engineers behaved normally, saying 'If I was treated like that, I too would stand up for my rights'. It's nice when

you get respect like that, including from many drivers and team bosses.

All in all it's been good, said van der Garde. Sure, I'm out of the seat, my dream is gone, but I think it might change F1 now.

I have spoken to Alexander Wurz, the chairman of the GPDA, and he is adamant that there should be better fairness in formula

one. I hope he succeeds, because this must never happen again, he concluded.

This sums it up very nicely and honestly from VDG's perspective. Sauber simply decided to take his backers money and run him out of the team. There is NO other explanation that holds water. And since they did this to Hulk and Sutil, whose going to stop them!? VDG, his backers and lawyers that's who.

I am extremely disappointed with this because I've been a Sauber fan since Kimi first drove for them. They were the loveable underdogs, and with Peter

at the helm, were a class outfit. But seeing Peter support MK during the Melbourne fiasco so closely, I have to wonder about him as well now.

WebRic if you are reading that still feel Sauber are more trustworthy than VDG, who was open honest and clearly in the right, then one has to seriously consider any of your opinions from this point forward.

Now way, not now. Exactly what you said is how I feel, I couldn't Beleive Peter himself is and was backing monisha. The team is an outright mess far from the days if Heinz Harald Frentzen or kimi Raikkonen for that matter. I totally agree with you. I thought Peter wasn't present at Melbourne only to my shock horror to see him there and fully supporting a lawyer who knows the laws but makes her own. Totally agree with you mate on this one. I was literally gobsmacked, they are acting like a team that is bigger than the sport, when no team is. Vdg obviously took the money in fear of safety and to finish the charade. It would have gone on and on.

I believe VDG had no other option. MK was going to again ignore the VIC court's rulings, and he would then have to go to court in Malaysia, China... and all the other countries. It was a total no win situation. Never mind that the Swiss court and 2x VIC court procedings all found in favour of VDG. MK was so arrogant she felt she knew better. And yes it was completely shoking to see Peter there supporting her. When I first saw him, I thought great! He's not been in the paddock in ages, thus it first looked like he was there to sort MK out, or replace her. But he was part of the fraud. Massive disappointment.

I don't think Sauber would have ever let him drive the car. They would have purposely created this issue or that issue so it would not happen.

VDG getting a payout is proof without any doubt of his valid claims. The money wasn't going to him anyway, most of it was going back to his backers who supported him so that he would have a drive. VDG did the honorable thing and decided to compromise. I've seen quotes from MK saying the opposite and it got me so angry to hear that. How dare she say VDG was the difficult one, when it was HER actions, her ignoring the court rulings, and ignoring valid signed contracts that created this situation in the first place. VDG's post on his Facebook page right after the settlement was agreed on is a fantastic read and shows Sauber to be the criminals that they are.

Just as disappointing, where the F was Bernie in all of this? Todt? Hello!? If this was any other sport, sanctions, fines, bringing the sport into disrepute would have occurred towards Sauber. Having said that, Bernie is so crippled in what he can do now as the boss, he might as well retire, because he seems to have no decision making power anymore.

Well said mate, couldn't agree more. It's the attitude that has shocked me. "It's my team ill do what I like" bottom line is if he wasnt in f1 he wouldn't have a team. Bernie was more worried about the manor cars not running and giving the sport a bad image instead if focussing on what the real issue was that weekend, not harrassing a tiny team with very little funding and racing against the clock to prepare untested cars. That was the reaction of bernies own problem, lack of testing. What has the sport come to?

Sauber's actions were bonkers as the outcome was inevitable - by stopping VDG from driving, they were in breach of contract and, had it gone to court would have been spanked. Would have made more sense to open negotiations with him early on and try to agree something mutually acceptable if they had changed their minds...

I feel sorry for VDG though as this recent spat makes him toxic in the eyes of other teams now (not just in F1).

That's what I think to a degree but if teams see he has viable skill, I think they will over look that as he simply got the rough end of the stick.