Clicky

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Jem of the Shire

Refuelling To Return In 2017

Glad to hear it. Another crucial element brought back to bring another strategy to the race.

It's a confused, random collection of "changes" that don't address the fundamental issues, that is, the lack of a true competition. They keep talking about F1 as if it were a TV show. They completely miss that it is the competition itself what makes a sport interesting.

Pit-stop refueling is a safety concern. Why change that when there are so many other restrictions in place.

For example, forcing a single tire supplier on all teams is a farce. Allowing competition among tire suppliers is the only solution to the tire issue.

The present aero restrictions are among the worst regulations. Hopefully, they will do the simplest and most intelligent thing, namely, everything but safety goes. True morphing cars, for instance, would be bold step forward, the kind of step that only F1 among all motor-racing could take.

But, unfortunately, I expect another set of choking regulations because these folks don't believe in competition.

Yep great stuff:

Teams can choose their own compounds - that was my idea before Williams had it. This negates the need for multiple manufacturers.

Refuelling - excellent, love the excitement of that sweet sweet fossil being pumped into a car

Higher rev limits = excellent

For those worried about safety, go play tiddlywinks, this is real sport.

Increase tyre size, limit maximum downforce, widen the cars, remove driver aids, then we are getting somewhere.

Yep great stuff:

Teams can choose their own compounds - that was my idea before Williams had it. This negates the need for multiple manufacturers.

Refuelling - excellent, love the excitement of that sweet sweet fossil being pumped into a car

Higher rev limits = excellent

For those worried about safety, go play tiddlywinks, this is real sport.

Increase tyre size, limit maximum downforce, widen the cars, remove driver aids, then we are getting somewhere.

Agree with everything except increasing tyre/rim size. Why? These arnt some fancy import to try pimp out.

Agree with everything except increasing tyre/rim size. Why? These arnt some fancy import to try pimp out.

I actually meant width. But I wouldnt care if they increased rim size either.

I actually meant width. But I wouldnt care if they increased rim size either.

Width yes, rim size no.

well they seem to want F1 to relate to what the current cars that you and I buy today with all this ECO friendly power units so why not go the whole hog and use tyres and wheels that the every day car uses.??? My car has 235/45/R18 inch rims, is not some high priced sports car just your every day AWD sports sedan car !!

As for TEAMS being able to select the tyre compounds for each race, yep I go for that.

Yeah I dont see the problem, these stupid little 13" rims bear no resemblance to anything.

Why does it have to? It's formula one, not something you put can bolt onto your car. It should remain authentic, even though its lost it, the sport is in a sorry state now but if they sell it out even more to resemble road cars to draw more fans in, there just running away from the problems they have created as well as a list of new ones. It's not bloody rocket science, return back to an era that was authentic and machines that required actual balls to drive them fast. That's why iam always carrying on about the 1997 regs. That's the last season we had of pure authentic formula one IMO.

Why does it have to? It's formula one, not something you put can bolt onto your car. It should remain authentic, even though its lost it, the sport is in a sorry state now but if they sell it out even more to resemble road cars to draw more fans in, there just running away from the problems they have created as well as a list of new ones. It's not bloody rocket science, return back to an era that was authentic and machines that required actual balls to drive them fast. That's why iam always carrying on about the 1997 regs. That's the last season we had of pure authentic formula one IMO.

Cause if its not relevant to anything, there's no incentive for manufacturers, and there's nothing I can utilise from it, so why would I even give a sh!t.

So you don't think prior to 1998 the racing as a whole was better? No incentive for manufacturers, your joking right? Back in 1995 there were 26 cars on the grid, 94 it was like 30, how's is that no an incentive when those grids were some of the biggest we have seen? That's when racing meant something and the sense of achievement was much higher. We had only top 6 scoring points back then yet the smaller teams scored more points than the smaller teams now. That IMO prooves to me that everyone wanted to be apart of formula one back then and made the effort to build something half decent. Not just there to make up numbers like today that are dwindling anyway.

have to agree with Spiral here mate.

Whatever the Formula it really does need to be in the same era /century/decade of what is current. At the moment we have State of the art ECO friendly HYBRID racing car. Not as boring as Formula E , but getting there, mainly because of rules that really are all mixed up.

We have a Hybrid power Unit, with outdated wheel sizes/tyre types ( at least they are running Radial ply tyres :-) ) . Even some of the cheaper road cars are using low profile tyres.

It's always irritated me that F1 has to try and remain relevant to road cars. They are 2 completely different things, they might as well say F1 must be relevant to cruise liners in order to survive.

It only annoys me because the changes applied to do with energy recovery, fuel saving etc is detrimental to the actual racing spectacle. Racing fans want to see big scary loud cars driven by gladiator-type nutters with melon-size testicles. Now a f**king 17-yr old runt can show up, jump in and perform in these hybrid pansy go-karts.

Who cares if manfacturers leave? Good! They only bugger off once it no longer suits them anyway, just look at Toyota & BMW. There'll always be engine suppliers out there to supply privateer teams

Hey mate I AGREE with you totally, BUT can you name what EGINE only manufacturers are out there that are NOT also car manufacturers? I can only think of Cosworth and as for Car Manufacturers that DON'T make cars for Road use, then maybe DALLARA.maybe Lolla not sure.

So we have a Dallara with a cosworth , not a lot of choice ,sort of a one make series !!!!!!

have to agree with Spiral here mate.

Whatever the Formula it really does need to be in the same era /century/decade of what is current. At the moment we have State of the art ECO friendly HYBRID racing car. Not as boring as Formula E , but getting there, mainly because of rules that really are all mixed up.

We have a Hybrid power Unit, with outdated wheel sizes/tyre types ( at least they are running Radial ply tyres :-) ) . Even some of the cheaper road cars are using low profile tyres.

Yeah but IMO that is what has got f1 in this mess to begin with. It's a classic case of "keeping up with the jones's" why? Formula one is supposed to be unique, the pinnacle of motor racing. Who cares if other motor sports are hybrid this or hybrid that, this is formula one and IMO, that alone has caused the sport to loose its roots of which it came from.

It's always irritated me that F1 has to try and remain relevant to road cars. They are 2 completely different things, they might as well say F1 must be relevant to cruise liners in order to survive.

It only annoys me because the changes applied to do with energy recovery, fuel saving etc is detrimental to the actual racing spectacle. Racing fans want to see big scary loud cars driven by gladiator-type nutters with melon-size testicles. Now a f**king 17-yr old runt can show up, jump in and perform in these hybrid pansy go-karts.

Who cares if manfacturers leave? Good! They only bugger off once it no longer suits them anyway, just look at Toyota & BMW. There'll always be engine suppliers out there to supply privateer teams

couldn't agree more mate.

Hey mate I AGREE with you totally, BUT can you name what EGINE only manufacturers are out there that are NOT also car manufacturers? I can only think of Cosworth and as for Car Manufacturers that DON'T make cars for Road use, then maybe DALLARA.maybe Lolla not sure.

So we have a Dallara with a cosworth , not a lot of choice ,sort of a one make series !!!!!!

Yeah but we have always had car manufacturers supplying engines in the past and they didnt go and try make single seater, open wheel road cars. Why now, that alone is killing the sport. That's what my whole argument is about. Formula one is just that, exactly what Jem said. Hey why not make the cars tow a generator behind them with a 2m extension cord so they don't need fuel at all and the just plug them in and go. That's what a Toyota Prius does. Plugs into a wall socket.

Mate there's a reason modern hypercars are hybrid. Its because they are as fast as if not faster than the big petrol engines they are replacing and dont burn old organic matter. There is nothing to stop them making the cars you want with current regs being tweaked. Increase the rev limit, electric power limit, and fuel limits with current engine regs and you would have the fastest cars in history.

Mate there's a reason modern hypercars are hybrid. Its because they are as fast as if not faster than the big petrol engines they are replacing and dont burn old organic matter. There is nothing to stop them making the cars you want with current regs being tweaked. Increase the rev limit, electric power limit, and fuel limits with current engine regs and you would have the fastest cars in history.

That would be fine, if we couldn't tell the difference, sound wise and performance.

Manufacturers want the technology to be relevant to road-cars so that they can justify the astronomical sums involved in their project; when we NA V10's the costs of engines were not astronomical so you'd have Yamaha, Ford, Peugeot, Renault, Mercedes etc etc willing to supply engines for a fee, a fee that private teams like Williams, Sauber, Jordan etc could actually afford.

The rulemakers should've (or must've) known that the cost of these new hybrids would be unsustainable & that it'd turn off fans. Now the sport seems surprised that teams are dying and fans are complaining...

Spiral that's true & valid - although even the upcoming rule tweaks aren't going to stop Sauber and Manor and Lotus all wondering whether they should just pack it all in. I still think we should ditch DRS too. I just thank the lord that they saw some sense and scrapped the most ridiculous rule in F1 history, the double points.

Yeah spiral is right to a degree. Now I think about it, they do need to implement hybrid engines as its the future and f1 is also about pinnacle of technology but in saying that, they could still use a modern wider chassis like they did in the mid ninties with the wider tyres to bring back that lost mechanical grip so these aids like drs and ers can be abolished. Then we would have the great overtaking and racing we onced enjoyed but at the same time, leading the world in inovation technology wise. I honestly Beleive this could work, the wider lower chassis, the lower and shorter front wing, the lower and wider rear wing, bring it all back but use today's "revised" power units. I say revised as something has to be done about the sound and also, let them race flat out again, that's why I think refuelling is definatly the way to go. Can you imagine how many epic races we would have missed out on in the past if this fuel flow limit was in? One that springs to mind is the epic drive by Schumi in the 98 Hungarian gp. We wouldn't have seen that amazing drive along with many others.