Clicky

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Emmcee

Hamilton Signs For Another 3Yrs

He's got a good seat no doubt. But he's hardly someone who exudes loyalty. Merc serves his purposes right now. Time will tell if that lasts. I'm positive he said in the past how much he loved McLaren, wanted to be a one team driver etc. I bet Alonso is crying into his samurai weetbix this morning.

Well he will just have to work harder and bring Honda and Mclaren back to the top. He said he has more motivation doing that than what he had a Ferrari. A compensating comment who knows, only time will tell. As for lewis, it was the only sane decision really.

If I were Hamilton I would be going to Ferrari, Mercedes wont last at the top.

What and take kimis spot? As it looks like kimi is going to get hammered again this year.

Vettel is there number one now, they'll hold onto him for years. Tbh I wouldn't be suprised if he spends the rest of his career there.

If I were Hamilton I would be going to Ferrari, Mercedes wont last at the top.

Mercedes wont last at the top. I am sure. who do you think will topple mercedes?

like WHO cares !! Once Merc start losing t Ferrari Hammy will no doubt call on some let out clause to Abandon ship like he did with his mentors, McLaren.

Rodders said it, Ferrari will be better than Merc next year or the year after. McLaren might catch up in 2018.

You would think next year HAS to be ferraris year don't you? I mean the car can only get better.

Ferrari haven't built the best car on the grid since 2008, even then it was arguably the 2nd best. I've never known Lewis to be disloyal, he makes no secret of his love of McLaren.

Him and Merc are clearly a dream-team so it was never really in doubt. And now we can finally stop talking about it. Next!

I too think Merc won't last. Merc got there because Brawn had the vision and space to lay all the groundwork. The years that Nico and Schumi spent in that car all contributed. Shame it's not paying off for Nico.

I think Hamilton will bail when they begin to slide. As for Alonso saying he's more motivated than ever.... yeah ok. I mean seriously he's said so much BS over the years you could print a book that would rival any of those Buddhist or feel good quote books. I seriously doubt he will see out his contract with McLaren. Where he goes, honestly I don't care. I'm just sick and tired to being told over and over that he is the best driver there is. I don't see it and the results do not reflect this. Maybe that's why I hate Eric Clapton. Not because he's bad or makes music I dislike, rather because for years friends and others kept saying he was the best guitarist alive. Not in my view. And that's my reality. Some love Alonso, some hate him. I respect his talents, but frown upon his lies, dishonesty and dodginess. It will never go away. Nothing he does makes me think he's changed. And the same for Hamilton. Just when I start to mellow and thing maybe he's changed too, he goes and has another hissy fit, or comments to the media that reminds me yet again why I dislike him. Alonso is not the best of his generation, he's a 2x WDC that can be called a great driver. But that's where it stops for me. He has zero moral fibre, and his dishonesty is most what I can't stand about him.

Out of curiosity who do you think is the best driver of Alonso's generation? p.s. I count Schuey as the generation before!

I too think Merc won't last. Merc got there because Brawn had the vision and space to lay all the groundwork. The years that Nico and Schumi spent in that car all contributed. Shame it's not paying off for Nico.

I think Hamilton will bail when they begin to slide. As for Alonso saying he's more motivated than ever.... yeah ok. I mean seriously he's said so much BS over the years you could print a book that would rival any of those Buddhist or feel good quote books. I seriously doubt he will see out his contract with McLaren. Where he goes, honestly I don't care. I'm just sick and tired to being told over and over that he is the best driver there is. I don't see it and the results do not reflect this. Maybe that's why I hate Eric Clapton. Not because he's bad or makes music I dislike, rather because for years friends and others kept saying he was the best guitarist alive. Not in my view. And that's my reality. Some love Alonso, some hate him. I respect his talents, but frown upon his lies, dishonesty and dodginess. It will never go away. Nothing he does makes me think he's changed. And the same for Hamilton. Just when I start to mellow and thing maybe he's changed too, he goes and has another hissy fit, or comments to the media that reminds me yet again why I dislike him. Alonso is not the best of his generation, he's a 2x WDC that can be called a great driver. But that's where it stops for me. He has zero moral fibre, and his dishonesty is most what I can't stand about him.

Good post mate. But you don't count finishing 2nd in the championship 3 out of the 5 seasons he spent for Ferrari in an average car good results? If that's not good results I don't know what is, he was so darn consistant, regularly finishing in the top three at most gp's but that's my opinion. I respect yours.

Out of curiosity who do you think is the best driver of Alonso's generation? p.s. I count Schuey as the generation before!

It has to be alonso and if you count his era as the time current or past drivers started when he did, it has to be webber followed by button and that's about it, doesnt leave many to choose from. I know button won a title and webber didnt but I hold webber higher simply because he is my countrymen and I honestly don't think he got a fair crack,just got his timing wrong and made the dumb move of joining Williams instead of Renault but that's hindsight for ya. Then I would go kimi then Montoya.

I guess first one must decide how we define a generation. Is it 10years? 5 years, or more? Or does it also align with the different engine regs, tyres etc. Maybe a bit of both.

I guess first one must decide how we define a generation. Is it 10years? 5 years, or more? Or does it also align with the different engine regs, tyres etc. Maybe a bit of both.

Yeah that is true, wouldn't you call an era maybe ten years as that's more likely the average career length of many. It's difficult to say isn't?

It's realistly nearly impossible. Because in that 10 year span, you have new guys coming in, the regular crew, and the oldies in their last few years. Thus it all overlaps and makes it very very difficult to label.

Rather than just years, you have to factor in the engine formats as well as to a smaller degree tyres. Thus we have the modern V10 era with Bridgestone and Michellin. Then we have the V8 era with Pirellis. Then we have the V6 era with Pirellis. That to me is probably a better way to guage eras don't you think.

OK so we do think the best driver of the last 10 years is? Although I don't like him I think I'd have to say Alonso too.

I don't agree as Alonso being the "one". He won his titles in 2005 and 2006. That is 9-10 years ago. Other than some almosts in coming 2nd, what has Alonso done to merit the best of the 10 years? Hamilton has won 2x WDC, so despite me not liking him, he'd have to be above Alonso due to his wins being more current. Plus factoring in his very good rookie year. You have Vettel with 4x WDC and his race win with STR. It might not be a popular choice, but this puts him above Hamilton for me. Kimi, well he had some time out from the sport, though he did win in 2007. Thus relevance wise, I don't see how he wouldn't be that far off Alonso when it comes down to it. He might not have 2x WDC, but he sure as heck looked on the money after being out of the sport for 2 years. But for this argument, Kimi is not included. Webber isn't really either. He was a good driver, even great at times, but never able to have any consistency, and you cannot blame his car issues. Speaking of which I do mean to post a breakdown of all his breakdowns to put that one to rest once and for all. The short version is Vettel suffered more than breakdowns and issues that Webber, I kid you not but it's true. It's perception that has created this myth that only Webber suffered.

Other drivers, well F1 really hasn't shone in years. We are not going through any great period of races when you think about it. Buttons win in the Brawn was good for him, but I think we can all attest to the fact Brawn had such a massive car advantage that year, that they only had to hang on at half year to claim it. And by then they were getting beaten by the other teams.

Massa is a no from me and Simon Cowell. Rubens is a no. Fisi another no. Quick Nick didn't make the grade. Kubica was full of potential, a race win and a whole lot of hype.

Thus it can only come down to 3 I feel. Alonso, Hamilton and Vettel. And I would rank based on consistency and results and race craft as the best of the past 10 years as being Vettel, Hamilton and then Alonso.

I think that the rules have been so bad its not possible to say any of them have performed. Massive differences between the different team cars (Brawn, Red Bull, Mercedes) and then massive differences in the way they drive the cars from one year to the next due to massive rule changes. The last couple of years they havent even been racing, they've been managing fuel and tyres.

I don't agree as Alonso being the "one". He won his titles in 2005 and 2006. That is 9-10 years ago. Other than some almosts in coming 2nd, what has Alonso done to merit the best of the 10 years? Hamilton has won 2x WDC, so despite me not liking him, he'd have to be above Alonso due to his wins being more current. Plus factoring in his very good rookie year. You have Vettel with 4x WDC and his race win with STR. It might not be a popular choice, but this puts him above Hamilton for me. Kimi, well he had some time out from the sport, though he did win in 2007. Thus relevance wise, I don't see how he wouldn't be that far off Alonso when it comes down to it. He might not have 2x WDC, but he sure as heck looked on the money after being out of the sport for 2 years. But for this argument, Kimi is not included. Webber isn't really either. He was a good driver, even great at times, but never able to have any consistency, and you cannot blame his car issues. Speaking of which I do mean to post a breakdown of all his breakdowns to put that one to rest once and for all. The short version is Vettel suffered more than breakdowns and issues that Webber, I kid you not but it's true. It's perception that has created this myth that only Webber suffered.

Other drivers, well F1 really hasn't shone in years. We are not going through any great period of races when you think about it. Buttons win in the Brawn was good for him, but I think we can all attest to the fact Brawn had such a massive car advantage that year, that they only had to hang on at half year to claim it. And by then they were getting beaten by the other teams.

Massa is a no from me and Simon Cowell. Rubens is a no. Fisi another no. Quick Nick didn't make the grade. Kubica was full of potential, a race win and a whole lot of hype.

Thus it can only come down to 3 I feel. Alonso, Hamilton and Vettel. And I would rank based on consistency and results and race craft as the best of the past 10 years as being Vettel, Hamilton and then Alonso.

You have to look at cars to. Who achieved what in cars not as good as the rest and such and when the results are in IMO, alonso is the one. When Vettel and Hamilton had cars less the good to do the job, there wernt as competitive as alonso. Hamilton in fact did a better job than Vettel if you compare the 2009 Mclaren to the 2014 Redbull. This is my opinion but like you said mate, there is so much to concider.

Alonso being the "best" quite often comes down to the claim he did better in bad cars. But really, how bad were the Ferrari's he drove? They were not all pigs as some like to claim. Some where, some were great cars.

A driver doing well in a good car cannot be held against them. They still have to keep it on the road, not mess up their lines, braking points, pitstops etc. It's the one offs that show more than a car influenced things. I don't mean any disrespect to him, but Button in 2009 in the Brawn is a really good example. One really good year for him. He had many potential good years at McLaren. Those cars were soo much better than what McLaren have now.

Consistency cannot be pushed under the carpet. For that Alonso does score well. But you can't just have consistency. I mean didn't Quick Nick set some sort of record for consecutive races finished, or in the points or something? And his name never comes up for anything meaningful.

Every argument that can be used against Vettel's wins, can also be applied to Hamilton's win last year. Let's see if he can win 4x WDC in a row. I really don't think that will happen. If Vettel can be accused, which is ridiculous in a way of being in the right place at the right time, then so can many other WDCs. Schumi, Senna, Prost.

The fact is the good drivers get generally the best seats. There's a reason Perez and Maldonado are where they are at. It doesn't matter how much sponsorship one brings, the top teams value results more.

Thus I'm interested to hear why you think Alonso has done so much better in bad cars. His 2nd stint at Renault was a joke. Probably one of the best examples of a driver running down the clock, collecting a paycheck and not putting in the effort knowing they are going to a better team.

Alonso did well at Ferrari, but a 2nd is still a second. Kimi's come 2nd a few times in the WDC race as well. Does that then not mean he can be talked upon the same as Alonso?