Clicky

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Jem of the Shire

Button In Talks With Bbc Over Top Gear Presenter Role

what a waste of F1 Talent !!!!

Top Gear without Clarkson, May and Hammond? This is madness!

Top Gear won't flop with the new presenter right away as many will tune in to see if it descends into the train wreck and borefest many believe will happen. But once that novelty wears off, all bets are off.

I'm more keen to know if the Netflix deal is true or not, and if so, how long before we see our intrepid trio and often stupid but loveable mugs blow stuff up and race around Europe in nice shiny things.

Button would boost ratings in the UK where he's extremely popular. We probably see a lot more of his personality than the rest of the world does and he's just an all-round top bloke, witty too if you see the features he does with DC sometimes.

No denying though that Top Gear is f**ked no matter what they do

Button does seem like a genuinely nice dude.

Top Gear can change their name to Reverse Gear cause thats where their ratings are headed. The hosts made that show.

top gear has always been F)(*&^ked, like running around a track in a top class sports car, that not very many of us will/could ever own, and burning up rubber ? like what the F)(*&^%K is that supposed to show/prove about the cars ability ?? t's called DRFTING, and even a Datsun 1200 can do that on a circuit !!! BURN rubber I mean if the conditions are right !!!

Clarkson is/was and always will be a drop kick, end of, the rest of his team are entertaining in OTHER shows :-)

top gear has always been F)(*&^ked, like running around a track in a top class sports car, that not very many of us will/could ever own, and burning up rubber ? like what the F)(*&^%K is that supposed to show/prove about the cars ability ?? t's called DRFTING, and even a Datsun 1200 can do that on a circuit !!! BURN rubber I mean if the conditions are right !!!

Clarkson is/was and always will be a drop kick, end of, the rest of his team are entertaining in OTHER shows :-)

I barely watched it, I was more into the expeditions they went on, like in Africa and south America and Vietnam. I dont really give a toss about super-cars.

I sit through all the car news, reasonably priced car laps and so on, ONLY to be able to watch the expeditions, and the little mini journeys they go on blowing up caravans and all that. Whilst I think Clarkson is a knob he's entertaining and I like to be able to watch someone who isn't so PC. It's utterly ridiculous how PC today's society has become. Just look at the Adam Goodes saga. Immediately people claim he's being booed because he's an Aborigine. He's been booed because he is a d#ck. He could be white and still be booed, but then no one would kick up a stink about it would they.

So Clarkson is tops in my view, because I sense not only in myself, but people are almost at their breaking point with this enforced PC bulls##t that's pervading everything.

Just look at Donald Trump. He's a right muppet. Says all kinds of stupid things, even offensive stuff and people like him. They like him because he has the guts to speak his mind. Which appears to be full of stupidity, but that's not my point. He says what he wants, and people have taken notice.

Anyway, I miss watching Top Gear and the journeys and expeditions they go on. They have all been good and I find them genuinely entertaining. Those 3 seem to be genuine friends who whilst loving annoying one another, are real and proper mates.

With Ron Dennis pushing hard to gain overall control of McLaren, the potential loss of the current Bahraini majority shareholding may be bad for Button. Just why RD would not want Jenson in the team is beyond me but it is true that he was only retained at the Bahraini's insistence. With doors beginning to close at Ferrari for Bottas in 2016, a possible Button move to Williams may be off for now and Haas would only be able to offer him peanuts. The BBC certainly wouldn't be able to offer him much either but Jessica wants kids and Jens made it clear some time ago that he wouldn't go down the family road while he was still racing. Unfortunately, Top Gear was all about Clarkson, Hammond and May and the new version is already marked for death with the terrible three all signed up for Amazon's streaming service. He could get somewhere near his worth in WEC or Japanese formulae or just retire and have a crack at the Olympic Triathlon. I still think he could still be in F1 at 40 and I hope for the sake of the sport he is.

I think he would find a good home in the Japanese super formula and there not much slower than f1 cars. Andre Lotterer has developed quite the following over there and IMO Jenson would be loved over there with his Japanese wife and IMO Honda would have more say as to them wanting button, it was Honda who wanted the "best" for development and having two world champions is certainly not a bad way to go.

So Fangio was a pussy winning world titles past 40? As we all know driving an f1 car is so easy.

And you Beleive that there would be less of a competition and less psyical aspect than today? Schumacher drove a 50s Ferrari not to long ago and it blew him away just how quick it was. He said honestly wasn't much slower than a current f1 car, just takes longer to accelerate and stop. Plus with no power steering and wheelbarrow tyres. Man they would have been difficult and a handful to drive, you still would have had to have been quite psyically fit to drive those cars and not to mention for a minimum of 3hrs each race, not an hr like they do these days.

And you Beleive that there would be less of a competition and less psyical aspect than today?

Absolutely. F1 today not as much, but the 2000s, F1 drivers were elite athletes. Put Fangio or Lauder or Hunt in one of those and they would pass out on the first corner. C'mon man!

I agree they wouldn't be up to today's standards but it would be incredibly difficult to drive those for 3 hrs on end, to say there wasn't any fitness involved back then is madness.

I agree they wouldn't be up to today's standards but it would be incredibly difficult to drive those for 3 hrs on end, to say there wasn't any fitness involved back then is madness.

...and where does it say that? This is a classic WebRic strawman. Create an argument that no-one has made then try to defeat it lol

It's not an argument, all iam saying is if you think it was easy for any ol' person to drive those f1 cars back in the day you can't be serious. The racing side would be harder than today IMO but the psyical side maybe not as extreme but not a walk in the park by any means.

You never said it was easy but your answer came across as it did. Emphasising that formula one today compared to 50 years ago has no psyical comparison, which is not true IMO.

If a 40 year old can still drive an F1 car it proves F1 is for pussies.

Utter crap.

Absolutely. F1 today not as much, but the 2000s, F1 drivers were elite athletes. Put Fangio or Lauder or Hunt in one of those and they would pass out on the first corner. C'mon man!

Again rubbish, ever seen a EUROBOSS race?

I would actually argue from my expierience that the cars of the 50's-60's would have been orders of magnitude harder to drive over a Grand Prix distance than a 00's car, absolutely no driver aids, skinny tyres that meant you had to essenstially 4 wheel drift the cars through a corner, no electronic parents to help you out or whizz bang gadgetry on the pitwall, it would've been hell on earth, and dear Lord I wish i'd been around then!

Again rubbish, ever seen a EUROBOSS race?

I would actually argue from my expierience that the cars of the 50's-60's would have been orders of magnitude harder to drive over a Grand Prix distance than a 00's car, absolutely no driver aids, skinny tyres that meant you had to essenstially 4 wheel drift the cars through a corner, no electronic parents to help you out or whizz bang gadgetry on the pitwall, it would've been hell on earth, and dear Lord I wish i'd been around then!

Exactly what I was saying, just out in better words. Not only that, you seriously got punished for making a mistake and often paid for that with your life. If you went of, you wernt going of into a gravel trap or a run of, you were going through someone's paddock or a bunch of trees. Back then an average of 3-4 drivers killed every year. You see over the course if a gp weekend how many drivers make mistakes like run of wide or spin of or lock up, now imagine back then any one of these mistakes could proove fatal, now put that into perspective into mistakes you see today over the course if a race weekend. Really puts into perspective how ballsy these guys were for 3+hrs during a race.