Clicky

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Insider

Jenson On His Bike?

If the rumours of Jenson retiring are true then Dennis is the complete moron I have always regarded him as. If he leaves it is because of the massive lack of regard and respect Dennis has for him. They made Button look like an idiot last year and he won't stand for it again. Basically, they can't afford him and too right too. They have preyed on his loyalty too long. In a good car he has always performed well. He blew off Villeneuve in their first season together at BARHonda. He continued at BARHonda in 2004 and came 3rd in the WDC. He stayed on despite Prodrive departing and Honda paid Williams $30m [worth more than Alonso's deal in today's money] for his contact and signed him to a multi-year deal. Honda eventually quit F1 but Button hung on when all the drive seats had gone and his reward was Brawn GT and the WDC in 2009. He moved to McLaren in 2010 and in 2011 he came 2nd in the Championship. He outscored Hamilton in their time together and has seen off Perez and Magnussen and will probably do the same to Alonso if he gets half a chance. If he was a Williams or Ferrari driver he would be there until he was 40. A massive asset to F1 and McLaren lost by a buffoon who has failed dismally to attract a single sponsor to the team since he returned. I would be surprised if Alonso doesn't follow him out the door. I believe the only thing that could change his mind is Renault offering him a long-term deal or Honda stepping in but I doubt it. Whatever he does, he will do it well and if it's WEC, he'll probably win it first time out. He'll always be my favourite F1 driver come rain or shine and certainly one of the best of all time.

Ditto to every word. I'll be very, very sad to see him go, but better to retire when you're still wanted rather than retire when you have no other option. Japan is a fitting place to announce it. McLaren & Alonso keep making big noises about 2016 but I can't see it happening myself, they've been getting it all wrong ever since their moronic decision to scrap their fantastic 2012 base (car) and start again. The Honda project has gone badly wrong despite Alonso & Boullier's rhetoric, and it would perhaps not do Button much favour to spend yet another year scrapping to get in the top 10. As racing fans we'd all much rather see him where he belongs fighting for victories. Whatever happens, he can look back on a career fulfilled. He's not one of the all-time greats but he's sure as hell one of the best all-rounders out there, and it will be McLaren's loss, big time.

I think it has been hard on him ever since he lost his father. What ever his decision I respect.

I am not convinced he will leave. No word from him at all - just conjecture turned into rumour so far. Losing your dad is always hard, especially when he is on the road with you 24/7 but driving a piece of junk for four years is probably a lot harder. Has Ron asked Nando to take a pay cut too? Don't be silly. What I hear is JB was offered another 2 years plus 2 single year extensions at McLaren's bidding with his pay rise deferred until 2017. Whichever way you cut it, he'll just be warming a seat for one of the kids. I hope he does leave but it would be nice if Renault grabbed him. There again, if they buy Lotus, it's another transitional year with an engine change. Maybe he doesn't have a WEC drive lined up yet or anything else. We will know soon enough. Damn shame.

Well apparently mclaren let magnussen's 2016 contract extension lapse so he is longer on mclaren's books so i honestly don't think he will leave. Not yet anyway, I feel he is committed to turning mclaren around. Who will they replace him with? Vandoorne? They need experience to build that car. Vandoorne you bring in once the job is done as he needs to learn about his race craft before trying to rebuild a car with no experience. Plus mclaren have both sides of the cake ATM and IMO have no two better drivers to do the job. You have an aggressive driver in alonso and a smooth patient driver in button so they get development feedback from both sides which I think is invaluable at this stage.

I can understand a team wanting a driver to take a paycut in tough times, but what is odd is that they only supposedly did this to Button and not the Emporer.

I've said it all year. Button should go to Williams. Massa is about to retire soon anyways. Williams will treat him with respect. Frank will be finally happy he's got Jenson as a driver and Alonso can destroy McLaren all by himself. McLaren might not even bring in Vandoorne next year due to how badly things are in their team. But they have to strike while his stocks are high, or he will go the way of Paffet and other drivers who missed out.

I hope this is all a rumour and button gets a multiple year contract with Mclaren Honda. He knows this project will come good sooner or later and i want both alonso and button to be there wen it bears fruit.

But he has a contract for next season with mclaren already, they just have to activate the contract extension.

Button has spoken on the latest rumours and it is clear nothing is finite. There are a lot of wild stories out there right now and I am surprised that the Times and Telegraph are getting involved without an official announcement. JB was seriously p**sed off after race and a lot was read into that.

http://www.gptoday.com/full_story/view/539550/Button_plans_to_switch_Le_Mans_after_F1_quits/

Jenson is one of those drivers who puts way more into the sport than he gets back out of it. If you know what I mean?

Interestingly in this morning's press conference Jenson has said that he's been having some good talks with McLaren, and then when asked if he'd consider WEC next year, his reply was that he can't combine F1 and Le Mans! Surely an announcement either way must be imminent though.

That would be great. Can't see it happening though as many drivers have said they'd love to race it, but end up not doing so. Heck most haven't even tried Le Mans.

Yep, I agree there brad. How's kimi but? Already come out and said he will help Sebastian if he has a decent chance for the championship. Pretty nice of him to be open to such a thing quite early.

Yep, I agree there brad. How's kimi but? Already come out and said he will help Sebastian if he has a decent chance for the championship. Pretty nice of him to be open to such a thing quite early.

Considering that he has been overtaken by everybody and the two McLarens I'd say that if he wants to help he shouldn't be pondering whether to move over for Seb, but to actually finish in the same lap as his teammate for once tongue.png That would be nice.

I knew he would be keen to help Vettel if need be. He's not the sort that takes kindly to being demanded to do something either lol.

Oh Quiet One, Kimi's had good form of late. He's not quicker than Vettel, but it would be nice if he was more consistently right behind him. Something Rubens was actually very good at. I know Ferrari had the best cars in those times, but he certainly locked in the #2 behind the Schu.

Speaking of which, Kimi! now holds the all time record for 3rd place positions. Not bad for a slow old guy. I think he's now top of the fastest lap tally as well. Where are all these stats displayed anyone officially or otherwise?

He has, as of late kimi really had started to knuckle down and what ever the reason for it, it is starting to work. We all knew and we all said, if only he sorts the qualifying issue out, then Sunday will be a fairly productive day. In the last two gps kimi has qualified reasonably well and the results have come with it. No doubt the Ferrari debacle would have playing on his mind but now all he has to do is turn up and drive. Expect better results from here on out.

Yes good results hopefully for the rest of the year. I'm in no illusion as to what lays ahead for Kimi. He's not going to be winning any championships, but it would be nice to get a few more wins before he leaves the sport. The team harmony at Ferrari is great, and I don't just say that because I'm happy they have him for next year. Vettel is happy, even Arrivabene is joking around.

I saw a bizarre article today that said it was time for Kimi to leave the sport for someone younger lol. Sure I bet Ferrari can't wait to get Max's signature.

Ferrari have no doubts as to what Kimi is there for. He's there to score points, help develop the car, harmony with his team mate, and get good results when the chance is there. I'd say he's pretty much done all that.

I'm still hoping he can get a race win this year. But that would come down to how comfortable he's with the car. So far, it seems each race weekend, things get better.

Yeah well kimi is quietly confident for Suzuka, he hopes he can challenge for the win, he always does well there, not to mention the scene of what is IMO his greatest ever win.

Yep, here's that rediculous overtake around the outside into turn 1 approaching at incredible speeds. Great driving by the pair of them.

Amazing race. Amazing year. McLaren at their best. They need to fire Boullier and get Whitmarsh back or something. They have lost so much talent to other teams it's sad in a way.