Clicky

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Unknown?

Pecking Order..

What do you guys think is the current pecking order and who has surprised or disappointed so far? Granted we're only one race in so it's difficult to make assumptions just yet but I'd say from Melbourne I was a little disappointed with Willams' & Manor's lack of pace relative to their ambitions and pleasantly surprised at Haas' pace although I think on a circuit a bit more overtaking-friendly they probably wouldn't have finished sixth with RG.

I do not know about pecking order after first race, but I've been pleasantly surprised -- but not unexpectadly -- by progress both, Renault and Honda made.

I am not convinced by Dr. Marko, that Mercedes is sandbagging for business reasons to the extend, they could lap whole field.

Rosberg and Vettel continued where they left last year.

Grosjean is proving himself as a good asset.

FiA did not let me down, and just continues doing useless things as they do most of their time.

I need another 3 or 4 races to make my mind where are we heading by last race of this season.

My guess:

(1) Mercedes

--gap--

(2) Ferrari

-gap--

(3) Red Bull

(4) Williams

(5) Toro Rosso

--HUGE, massive, impossible to make back up gap--

(6) McLaren

(7) Force India

(8) Renault

(9) Sauber

(10) Haas

(11) Manor

In any given race, 6 through 11 could all completely swap their spots in the pecking order. Hülkenberg holding up the field so badly that Grosjean got away while Pérez never even ran near the points convinced me the Force India is probably worse than the McLaren at this point. But it is immaterial because on any given day, there will only be 1 or 2 points-paying spots open to any of these teams. The Renault is slow and wobbly, but might do better without a lineup as underwhelming as the one it has.

Grosjean had a perfect day for Haas. Perfectly timed safety car. Perfectly done strategy. Perfect luck of overtaking being so hard and having Hülkenberg farting around behind him. But the practice and qualifying reveal that the Haas is only faster than the Manor. Like I said above, though, any team 6 through 11 could end up 6th on a given day, and any could end up 11th on a given day. I would not be shocked to see Haas consistently better on pure pace than Sauber as the year goes on.

Yea the strength of the renault engine was also a nice surprise though I'm still not convinced by Honda.. I fully expect them to be knocked out in Q1 next weekend when all the teams know how qualifying works.

Not overly convinced by Rosberg either tbh.. sure he won the race but was easily outpaced all weekend including the race except the start. Brought home the points though so well played by him.

I think TR is ahead at the moment of both Williams, and RBR. How long that will last I do not know, but I guess they will slide back somewhat by summer break.

Mercedes

Ferrari

Toro rosso

Redbull

Williams

Force India

Mclaren

Renault

Sauber

Haas

Manor

I think after renault s improvement redbull would topple toro rosso . I also expect mclaren to topple force india and may be williams with the regular improvements through out the season.

I don't think toro Rosso is ahead of redbull as Ricciardo showed the pace of redbull later during the race and it was faster than toro rosso

We need more racing to settle some of those questions, but some what I thought were internal errors in Melbourne skewed results, rather than clarified where everyone is. Despite Renault's progress impressed me, I think it is a small fraction below Ferrari of 2015. Not much though.

I don't think toro Rosso is ahead of redbull as Ricciardo showed the pace of redbull later during the race and it was faster than toro rosso

I dunno, I think the redbull was maybe a bit stronger on the softs in terms of tyre life but in terms of outright laptime i dont think there was all that much between them.. When DR lit the screens up he was cruising around on low fuel towards the end of the race on the SS tyres

Mercedes

Ferrari

Toro rosso

Redbull

Williams

Force India

Mclaren

Renault

Sauber

Haas

Manor

I think after renault s improvement redbull would topple toro rosso . I also expect mclaren to topple force india and may be williams with the regular improvements through out the season.

I would roughly agree but I think the manor is a better car than most people think.. wouldn't surprise me to see them right there in the midfield and pushing Sauber towards the back of the grid..

I dunno, I think the redbull was maybe a bit stronger on the softs in terms of tyre life but in terms of outright laptime i dont think there was all that much between them.. When DR lit the screens up he was cruising around on low fuel towards the end of the race on the SS tyres

That is true, his early pace was quite average wasn't it?

That is true, his early pace was quite average wasn't it?

will be interesting to see where everyone is at come Bahrain.. throw Kvyat and Bottas in the mix too as they had issues and i think it'll be even more unpredictable. Promising to be a good season though from what i saw in oz!

- Mercedes

- Ferrari

-Toro rosso

- Redbull and Williams

- Force India

- Renault and Mclaren

- Haas and Sauber

- Manor

It appears people do not believe that anything has changed since last year, when they have to put money of the table. I am not holding my breath, but Ferrari has to pour cold water on someone soon, otherwise this is going to be one long season of disappointments.

Redbull would continue to improve but toro rosso has their hands tied in terms of engine. But I feel toro rosso is slightly ahead in qualifying than the bulls.

I would roughly agree but I think the manor is a better car than most people think.. wouldn't surprise me to see them right there in the midfield and pushing Sauber towards the back of the grid..

Yes manor would improve after the second half. Their technical team needs time to get hold of the car since they started working on this car very late.

The problem with manor is aero and they don't have the budget to develop like the others, just looking at the nose and front wing proves that, there twelve months behind in terms of aero.

"Sisu" is in my blood, declared Rosberg. Looks like he is determined to get his WDC, but I gather there are if not other 21 drivers, then at least 3 or 4 guys with the same ambition. Hamilton looks calm and collected, but should he fail to win another one or two next races, that might turn into something we witnessed already at least once in the past.

I don't get those guys. Rosberg is referring to his father's heritage (Sisu), yet he bears a German passport and citizenship but lives almost whole his life in Monaco. Hamilton is wrapping himself in a British flag every chance he gets, but lives (for now) in Monaco, and spends almost all of his free time in NA. So, how British really is he? Where is some genuine expression of belonging? Rosberg has very few German fans because not too many actually consider him as a German. Both, Michael and Sebastian live in Switzerland, but they grew up in Germany, have German wives, so they are German from top to down. Interest in Seb has actually increased in some polls this year to the detriment of Mercedes.