Clicky

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Emmcee

First Look At 2017 Spec Tyres

Lol it's like playing a wicked looking game but have a poxy sound card, but they do sound better than last year but.

If they were to bring anything back, v10s mate all the way.

Spiral I don't think that's the chassis there using, it's just a car to model the tyres.

Yeah I remember, it's going to make them look a lot more sleek and low, compared to the upright box shape the cars look like now.

What because of Pirelli's construction in general? If that's what you mean I understand what your saying and if your correct it will only be a cosmetic aid and not an aid that benefits the car.

Exactly. They keep on improving the chassis and engine package but the tires wears out so fast when pushed hard.

Yeah they might as well run round on Pringles hey?

When do we get a first look at the 2008-spec rear wings, though?

For those who have no idea what I'm talking about, a different post:

I have dissenting views on tire wear. If you want an exercise of maximum performance where cars just turn qualifying lap after qualifying lap, tires that don't wear are fine. But if you want the cars to actually not finish in the exact order they qualify, you need strategy, and tire wear accomplishes this. You cannot have overtaking without a faster car behind a slower car, and tire strategy is the most effective way to promote those situations other than artificially. Otherwise, you get a procession. A higher speed procession than now, but still a procession. Maybe that interests someone. It wouldn't interest me. The very best part of the auto race, to me, is watching all sorts of different strategies intersect and seeing how they play out. It's fun, it generates some surprises, and it creates good, smart racing. But the thing is, all the teams use the same strategy unless there is some other variable (like tire wear) that allows for different approaches. And if all the teams use the same strategy, the cars finish in order of speed, which happens to be what qualifying already does...

The compromise, to me, is to have cars that are absolutely on the edge and breathtaking to watch in qualifying, but to have a formula that allows for strategy (tires and maybe even fuel) in the races.

All this but massa can be solved with the return of refuelling. You can't have a tyre manufacturer in the pinnacle of Motorsport not able to build tyres that fully express the companies capabilities. The tyres alone are hindered and are not built to the full potential available, that should be the first step. Then the second would be adding another element of strategy and thats refuelling. I used to love trying to figure out if hakkinen's or schumacher's pace was down to pure pace or a light fuel load. That alone could change the race, then they could build those tyres Iam talking about as the race wouldn't solely rely on tyre strategies. Then you also would have certain cars quicker than others at certain points due to the fuel loads and how certain cars react with certain loads of fuel. You remember the 97 Peugeot powered Jordan? That thing was a rocket on a light fuel or qualifying load, but put a bit of fuel in it and it was a twitchy car that didn't resemble the light fuelled version at all. This was what f1 was about IMO, building a race car that could be quick at certain parts of the race and that could make up for hp discrepancies, which produce must better racing.

You could if there was no limit on what they used. Imagine if all they had was ultra softs that lasted ten laps but had an unlimited source of them, there would be 4-5 stops a race.

Well you would have everyone going flat out wouldn't you? To minimise the gap so tyre stops could be faster, then you would see some real action.

I dunno man. Probably end up in the same place, people driving slower to do one pitstop less.

Lol 100% this would happen. Hey atleast a manor would get a fastest lap lol.