Clicky

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

radical-one

Schumacher's Kind Heart

All the other champioship years, he won by a large margin, showing his car was incredibly dominant. I remember that my brother and I stopped watching F1 because the car was so dminant, we knew for sure who would win and it had become boring.

He wasn't the only driver in the team. He dominated the field because he had a great car and controlled his team mates. A ruthless and tough act to follow.

True F1 fans never switch off.

But people seem to forget,he made his own success, he got the key individuals he had at his Benetton days to come and join Ferrari. He knew who he had to get to become the unstoppable force he became. He built his own legacy, credit where due, he was a very smart,tactical and very successful racing driver. No one yet has the same qualities as Schumi had. Sure Vettel,alonso and Hamilton are today's stars, but none of them yet are as complete as Schumi was in his prime IMO.

Dribler, you should know that his team mates were always at his service. It was a condition the join the team.

I'm sure my brother will be as pleased as me to know we are not true f1 fans.

I had the good fortune to be a guest at a testing session in Silverstone in 1995 when the Schui/Hill battle was at its peak. in those days you had free access to the pit garage.

It was fascinating watching the drivers operate. What impressed me most was Schui's dedication - he went out on laps and when he came back in, spent 30 minutes talking to his race engineers, describing car performance - detailing every subtle change in every corner. I watched some of the other drivers, most came back, exchanged a few words with their engineers and disappeared off to their motorhome or signed autographs.

I've not seen any other F1 driver *that* focused. It's just a shame he chose to come back the way he did, better to have retired....

He also had tiny feet.

Dribler, you should know that his team mates were always at his service. It was a condition the join the team.

Blah, wouldn't you after you single handedly rebuilt Ferrari from the ground up aquiring the required staff to do the job? Ferrari's success even today comes down to how he totally restructured Ferrari to what it is today. Why do you think he spent so long there? It was the perfect environment because he made it like that. Ferrari knew it and that's why the clause was in place as any team would have had Schumi, he had many options open at all times. There is no way I would want some other driver coming in and stealing what I built. He was a pure racer and his incidents with hill and villeneuve, although delibrate so what, this is a driver who started with senna,Prost,Mansell,piquet and so on,who did nothing but take each other of the circuit. Why do people forget senna and Prost and there driving tactics when talking about Schumi? Why because senna is no longer here and don't want to disgrace him? Don't get me wrong IMO senna was the greatest of all time just by shear speed, but you can't say Schumi has done any worse than what most of the greatest ever drivers did before him.

No, they weren't. Irvine in 1999 after Schumi broke his leg. When Schumi came back, he showed exactly what a no.2 driver should be capable of :whistling:

The question is, could any of Schumi's team mates driven as good as Schumi did in Spain 96, just as one example? Like Alonso and Vettel are now, Schumi was just too good for his team mates, even if you want to cite preferential treatment.

@pabloh

That's right his victory in the soaked 1996 Spanish Grand Prix is one of the greatest drives. Monaco 1997 and Belgium 1995 are my top 3 imo

Blah, wouldn't you after you single handedly rebuilt Ferrari from the ground up aquiring the required staff to do the job?

May be not single handedly, but I can agree with this.

Well he was the puzzle piece that put the whole picture together, how's that lol.

Don't forget the team managers whose strategies helped win many races. Ferrari was unmatched srategy wise during MS championship years at Ferrari.

Don't forget the team managers whose strategies helped win many races. Ferrari was unmatched srategy wise during MS championship years at Ferrari.

That's because they could rely on Schumi to pull off the strategy, it was a team effort. However, they couldn't have done some the same strategies with the 'no.2' drivers as they didn't have same overall ability as Schumi.

@ JP

That's right and we all know who that master tactiction was and is and it's Ross Brawn. Another person Schumi brought over from Benetton. That's my point,he grabbed who he needed from Benetton and brought them to Ferrari with him. So most of this management you talk about was brought to Ferrari with Schumi. He got them all to jump ship. Have you seen a driver of late who has brought basically his whole entire old team to his new team? No. Schumi was simply that good that everyone wanted to be part of that success wherever he went.

@ JP

That's right and we all know who that master tactiction was and is and it's Ross Brawn. Another person Schumi brought over from Benetton. That's my point,he grabbed who he needed from Benetton and brought them to Ferrari with him. So most of this management you talk about was brought to Ferrari with Schumi. He got them all to jump ship. Have you seen a driver of late who has brought basically his whole entire old team to his new team? No. Schumi was simply that good that everyone wanted to be part of that success wherever he went.

An you know what will happen when Vettel moves teams? He will do the same thing. I think the only way Vettel will move teams is if he can get Newey to move with him. And right now I don't see that happening. And with the way F1 is run right now there really is no reason to swap teams any more like Schumi did. All the restrictions means that there is much less emphisis on being able to run 10,000 km of testing in the off season at your own race track right next to the factory like Schumi did with Ferrari.

There really are two schumis, the race driver and the guy away from the track. We all saw the driver side of him drive like he was in an f1 car while everybody else was driving formula fords in some races and just demolish the competition with sheer endurance and determination.

And the man off the track is the guy who plays charity football turnaments for unicef and donates money and time to people. Hell, he donated 10 MILLION euros to the relief effort for the 04 tsunami where his long time friend and bodyguard died along with his family. From 2003 to 2005 alone public records in Germany show he donated 50 million dollars to charity.

And he is the guy who famously remembered every mechanics' birthday and the birthday of their wives and children and the guy who would drive to get pizza for the whole crew while staying up until 2 am after testes.

It doesn't matter what you say about him on the track, off the track he is unimpeachable.