8 replies to this topic

#1 WebRic

WebRic

F1 Ace

• Senior Members
  • 1,605 posts
  • Interests:Formula One-gotta love it

Posted 27 September 2013 - 11:28 PM

Found this juicy article this morning, claiming barrichello is in the running for a sauber seat next year.

http://www.gptoday.c...14_Sauber_seat/
Posted Image

#2 KoolMonkey

KoolMonkey

F1 Ace

• Members
  • 1,391 posts

Posted 28 September 2013 - 03:59 AM

That would be kind of cool, but when I heard Montoya hadn't secure a new Nascar contract, I was honestly hoping we might see him back in F1 again.

The Sauber thing is getting a bit ridiculous now. They are not a seat all these drivers are aiming for. All they have is some 19 year old Russian with a rich father, and not much else.

Such a shame, if Peter Sauber was running the team again they wouldn't be in this bad a position.

Rubens to Williams perhaps, or to Force India but I don't see a connection between that team.

But in reality, he's been out of F1 too long, and due to his age it's not going to help him. If people were saying Schumi was too old, and he's a 7x WDC, vs Rubens whose a 0x WDC, then his chances are low to nil. That is of course unless a team is planning on making a big splash into Brazilian territory. But there are no Brazilian F1 teams, and little to none sponsorship from Brazilian teams on any car at the moment.

The only factor I see in this, is if they want to tap into his experience. But again that counts against him too, since he's been out of F1 for awhile, and thus has no knowledge and experience on the current tyres and aero.
"He's a f**king idiot. I want to hit him when I see him!"

"Obviously I am pleased to have many fans. Who would not want? But to be honest, I have no idea why people like me."

"Do you really think I would be here if it was just about money?" Raikkonen hit back.  "I do enough fun things in my spare time than to have to listen to this bullsh*t."

"There is always a lot of talk about the motivation but nobody really knows what I do or what I think except for myself, so I don't really care about what people say."

"There's always talk about my motivation, written by people who don't know me and couldn't have an idea on how strong my motivation is. If I didn't feel I had the motivation, I would stop. My feeling is that I probably drove some of my best races in my last season in Formula One and I was very happy with my performance. I've never had any issues with motivation."

Vodka, ice-creams in the garage, rallying, snow-mobile racing, gorilla suit connoisseur, hitched to former miss Finland, James Hunt appeal, a vacant stare, talks like a Dalek, 1970s caps, Elton John glasses and some people call this guy boring? I wish we had more characters like him in F1 Posted Image

#3 WebRic

WebRic

F1 Ace

• Senior Members
  • 1,605 posts

Posted 28 September 2013 - 04:14 AM

View PostKoolMonkey, on 28 September 2013 - 03:59 AM, said:

That would be kind of cool, but when I heard Montoya hadn't secure a new Nascar contract, I was honestly hoping we might see him back in F1 again.

The Sauber thing is getting a bit ridiculous now. They are not a seat all these drivers are aiming for. All they have is some 19 year old Russian with a rich father, and not much else.

Such a shame, if Peter Sauber was running the team again they wouldn't be in this bad a position.

Rubens to Williams perhaps, or to Force India but I don't see a connection between that team.

But in reality, he's been out of F1 too long, and due to his age it's not going to help him. If people were saying Schumi was too old, and he's a 7x WDC, vs Rubens whose a 0x WDC, then his chances are low to nil. That is of course unless a team is planning on making a big splash into Brazilian territory. But there are no Brazilian F1 teams, and little to none sponsorship from Brazilian teams on any car at the moment.

The only factor I see in this, is if they want to tap into his experience. But again that counts against him too, since he's been out of F1 for awhile, and thus has no knowledge and experience on the current tyres and aero.

That is true but Rubens has been around in the sport long enough to experience multiple changes in the sport. His experience in his ability to adapt in those high powered cars would have to benefit him over a young hot head, you would think, plus they said he had a reported 2.2mill in sponsorship behind him, which would certainly help the struggling team. He said he is ready to go, all he needs is some work on his neck.

Edited by WebRic, 28 September 2013 - 04:18 AM.

Posted Image

#4 KoolMonkey

KoolMonkey

F1 Ace

• Members
  • 1,391 posts

Posted 28 September 2013 - 06:11 AM

All drivers say they are experienced haha. Rubens in particular was saying that for years, and honestly did we ever see the results of this "experience" and car development? I'd say no we didn't.

So yes he does have experience, but it's not the kind that in the end will make any difference to a team I feel.

2.2mil is pretty good for sponsorship, but when nutjobs like Maldonado bring 30-40 million, and the Sauber kid bringing 19-20mil then 2.2 is peanuts.

It ain't going to happen for Rubens, rather it's more of the same of a driver who has lost his seat in F1.

I'd rather see Nick Heidfeld back in F1. Even Fisi back at Force India.

"Obviously I am pleased to have many fans. Who would not want? But to be honest, I have no idea why people like me."

"Do you really think I would be here if it was just about money?" Raikkonen hit back.  "I do enough fun things in my spare time than to have to listen to this bullsh*t."

"There is always a lot of talk about the motivation but nobody really knows what I do or what I think except for myself, so I don't really care about what people say."

"There's always talk about my motivation, written by people who don't know me and couldn't have an idea on how strong my motivation is. If I didn't feel I had the motivation, I would stop. My feeling is that I probably drove some of my best races in my last season in Formula One and I was very happy with my performance. I've never had any issues with motivation."

Vodka, ice-creams in the garage, rallying, snow-mobile racing, gorilla suit connoisseur, hitched to former miss Finland, James Hunt appeal, a vacant stare, talks like a Dalek, 1970s caps, Elton John glasses and some people call this guy boring? I wish we had more characters like him in F1 Posted Image

#5 WebRic

WebRic

F1 Ace

• Senior Members
  • 1,605 posts

Posted 28 September 2013 - 07:42 AM

View PostKoolMonkey, on 28 September 2013 - 06:11 AM, said:

All drivers say they are experienced haha. Rubens in particular was saying that for years, and honestly did we ever see the results of this "experience" and car development? I'd say no we didn't.

So yes he does have experience, but it's not the kind that in the end will make any difference to a team I feel.

2.2mil is pretty good for sponsorship, but when nutjobs like Maldonado bring 30-40 million, and the Sauber kid bringing 19-20mil then 2.2 is peanuts.

It ain't going to happen for Rubens, rather it's more of the same of a driver who has lost his seat in F1.

Well you make sense, I guess you'd see Massa there before Rubens anyway.
Posted Image

#6 WebRic

WebRic

F1 Ace

• Senior Members
  • 1,605 posts

Posted 28 September 2013 - 07:42 AM

Well you make sense, I guess you'd see Massa there before Rubens anyway.
Posted Image

#7 Massa

Massa

Terry Labonte Retired

• Pit Crew
  • 3,419 posts

Posted 28 September 2013 - 03:42 PM

Ugh.

Gutiérrez doesn't do much for me either way as a prospect, but I'd much rather see him (or Bianchi, backed by Ferrari to go there if at all possible) there.  Nostalgia has become too trendy for me to enjoy it. :P

Seriously, though, I get a little bored when the same guys are recycled.  This is common in NASCAR, where drivers can still win late into their 40s, such that new drivers almost never come into the top series.  IndyCar is now going through this, too.  Penske has hired Castroneves and Montoya for next year; Ganassi has Franchitti and is closing in on Kanaan.  Seeing the top teams filled with guys whose careers span back to the 1990s may be nice for familiarity, but IndyCar has had two lost generations now.  One went to NASCAR (Gordon, Johnson, Stewart, Harvick, Kahne, Newman, Leffler, Mears) and the other went to sports cars (Edwards, Summerton, Bomarito, Cameron, Antinucci, Hand, Nuñez, Marcelli, Fogarty).  Keeping the "old guard" means sacrificing entire eras of drivers.  It's going to hit NASCAR hard in a few years when all of their stars hit retirement age.  Who will replace them when every promising talent ends up having nowhere to go and disappearing on short tracks or wherever?

Now, F1 won't have that particular problem, as the sport has stayed young and careers remain short.  However, I'm just not feeling any kind of enthusiasm about a Barrichello return.  He's a nice guy, he played his role well, and he'll add nothing to the races at all.  Not to say Gutiérrez will or Bianchi will or whomever else will, but at least there's the slightest of chances they could.  Oh, well.

nutjobs like Maldonado

If I could change one thing about this forum, it would be a word filter on "Maldonado," similar to what is done with swear words.  It would replace "Maldonado" with "Grand Prix Winner Pastor Maldonado," preferably altering the font size to jumbo-humongous-big.
My avatar is not my work, but is in the public domain.  Releasing things into the public domain is a very nice thing to do if you ever can.

#8 KoolMonkey

KoolMonkey

F1 Ace

• Members
  • 1,391 posts

Posted 29 September 2013 - 01:08 AM

I was a big fan of the true IndyCar series in the 90s. And when Mansell went there WOW! was it even more awesome. And then he won that series too and was the concurrent F1 WDC and IndyCar Champ.

I see your point on all the young drivers not getting a chance, however that doesn't mean the "old" guys should be forced into retirement due to their age. If they still have the skills and passion, let them race.

As for the Maldonado thing, I don't care if the guy has won a race, he intentionally tried to crash into Hamilton I believe, and I think someone else. For me that is unforgivable and a cardinal sin. He hasn't done that in a long time, but he shouldn't have done it in the first place. If you can't temper your frustration, or anger and then try and crash into another driver on purpose whilst at speed, you DO NOT deserve to be in F1, or to get my admiration and gratitude that you are in F1.

I got a solution, he goes to Nascar where crashing and banging is all part of the show. And he's young, thus it solves the "old" driver issue. You see all sorted now.

#9 WebRic

WebRic

F1 Ace

• Senior Members
  • 1,605 posts

Posted 29 September 2013 - 03:45 AM

View PostKoolMonkey, on 29 September 2013 - 01:08 AM, said:

I was a big fan of the true IndyCar series in the 90s. And when Mansell went there WOW! was it even more awesome. And then he won that series too and was the concurrent F1 WDC and IndyCar Champ.

I see your point on all the young drivers not getting a chance, however that doesn't mean the "old" guys should be forced into retirement due to their age. If they still have the skills and passion, let them race.

As for the Maldonado thing, I don't care if the guy has won a race, he intentionally tried to crash into Hamilton I believe, and I think someone else. For me that is unforgivable and a cardinal sin. He hasn't done that in a long time, but he shouldn't have done it in the first place. If you can't temper your frustration, or anger and then try and crash into another driver on purpose whilst at speed, you DO NOT deserve to be in F1, or to get my admiration and gratitude that you are in F1.

I got a solution, he goes to Nascar where crashing and banging is all part of the show. And he's young, thus it solves the "old" driver issue. You see all sorted now.

Lmao, fantastic solution. Nascar Maldonado.
Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

This website is unofficial and is not associated in any way with the Formula One group of companies. F1, FORMULA ONE, FORMULA 1, FIA FORMULA ONE WORLD CHAMPIONSHIP, GRAND PRIX and related marks are trade marks of Formula One Licensing B.V.