Clicky

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Insider

Honda In Big Trouble

That would be my choice, too.

All I can see at Ferrari is people being given the boot, but I do not see any recruitment of talented guys to replace them.

Alonso knows this and time is running out.

Ferrari seem to me like there having a party of musical chairs, everything has fallen apart and they need to act fast, because when Alonso leaves, they will fall bigtime.

I think the biggest problem at McLaren goes way beyond engines. A seriously heavy rumour that Dennis will be replaced by Gerhard Berger surfaced a day or so ago appears to have some real meat on the bone. Woking has majority Bahraini shareholders and they are far from happy after yet another lacklustre season. This internal dogfight could be why Jenson has virtually ignored the pressure surrounding his seat. It is more than possible that he has been assured by both Honda and the board that he will stay. Boullier has always seemed like a temporary fit for me, specifically, why he is the only unbadged TP in the paddock? Nevertheless, despite Berger's pedigree as a racer, TP at BMW and co-owner of STR, I am not sure he is the guy for McLaren. However, his presence may get Ross Brawn to put his fishing gear back in the cupboard for a while. Dennis's bully boy tactics haven't gone down well with anyone at McLaren and his failure to raise new sponsorship may return him to the back office once again. Clearly, if Honda had wind of this corporate wrangling they may have delivered an ultimatum themselves. Either way, it seems like a major management re-shuffle and a Nando/Button pairing at Woking in 2015 to me.

I think the biggest problem at McLaren goes way beyond engines. A seriously heavy rumour that Dennis will be replaced by Gerhard Berger surfaced a day or so ago appears to have some real meat on the bone. Woking has majority Bahraini shareholders and they are far from happy after yet another lacklustre season. This internal dogfight could be why Jenson has virtually ignored the pressure surrounding his seat. It is more than possible that he has been assured by both Honda and the board that he will stay. Boullier has always seemed like a temporary fit for me, specifically, why he is the only unbadged TP in the paddock? Nevertheless, despite Berger's pedigree as a racer, TP at BMW and co-owner of STR, I am not sure he is the guy for McLaren. However, his presence may get Ross Brawn to put his fishing gear back in the cupboard for a while. Dennis's bully boy tactics haven't gone down well with anyone at McLaren and his failure to raise new sponsorship may return him to the back office once again. Clearly, if Honda had wind of this corporate wrangling they may have delivered an ultimatum themselves. Either way, it seems like a major management re-shuffle and a Nando/Button pairing at Woking in 2015 to me.

Good post, agree with you there insider. Berger might have alot more appeal than people may think. Having raced for the team itself, he would a more hands on approach than Dennis ever could, maybe he is the answer. Who knows. But with Mclaren loosing yet another sponsor on as little as a couple of weeks, look real grim finding financial aid. They lost Johnnie Walker to Bernie and his rorting regime and now Hugo Boss.

Yeah but they also have plenty of experience with 1.6l, that's where Honda and its vtec got famous for. I know it's completely different scenario when concidering street engines to formula one, but experience and execution is required nosy yet what your building. I think they will be the bees knees tbh.

I'll admit this not my area of knowledge at all, I couldn't even tell you what a carburetor is, in fact I can't spell it.

But with regards to Honda's past successes in bikes, cars, indy etc, I'm not sure that would give me great confidence as a mclaren fan because presumably it'd be an entirely different set of people building the F1 engine, perhaps even in an entirely different location?

That's correct, if you have ever driven a little vetec and reved it's ring out, it's like hitting power ban on a bike, incredible for a small capacity. That expereince alone will make you feel more confident towards Honda. Marvellous engines and there little vetec civics lowered with a nice set of coilovers, best handling and performing car for FA money.

That's of course if you like to accelerate through a corner instead of slowing down, around tight hilly roads, immediate response, soon as you drop the clutch out of corners. Not really a fan of front wheel drives. But this manufacturer is the only exception in my book. There bikes a brilliant and very responsive to ride.

I wish I could remember how their PU stacked up against the competition in the BAR/Honda days. But I can't.

This all may be moot anyway unless mclaren remember how to build quick F1 cars.

Good post, agree with you there insider. Berger might have alot more appeal than people may think. Having raced for the team itself, he would a more hands on approach than Dennis ever could, maybe he is the answer. Who knows. But with Mclaren loosing yet another sponsor on as little as a couple of weeks, look real grim finding financial aid. They lost Johnnie Walker to Bernie and his rorting regime and now Hugo Boss.

The other thing no one has mentioned is Japanese working practices and environment. Jenson has a deep understanding of this and endeared himself to Honda during his time there. He spends a lot of time in Japan and also has a Japanese fianceé, of course. He speaks the language well enough to have the team understand him too. I think he is a shoe in for at least 2015.

Well bringing Jenson into a board meeting and belting out a friendly Japanese phrase or 2 should definitely help win over a large Japanese sponsor!

Well bringing Jenson into a board meeting and belting out a friendly Japanese phrase or 2 should definitely help win over a large Japanese sponsor!

You would be right in that assumption probably but seriously, working practices are key in any Japanese firm and Ron knows that well. I see Macca have denied the Berger rumours as nonsense which probably means they are true contract.gif

The other thing no one has mentioned is Japanese working practices and environment. Jenson has a deep understanding of this and endeared himself to Honda during his time there. He spends a lot of time in Japan and also has a Japanese fianceé, of course. He speaks the language well enough to have the team understand him too. I think he is a shoe in for at least 2015.

He rangs bells to me as soon as Honda announced a return. Be stupid not to, like you said, he speaks Japanese, his better half is Japanese and not only that, my younger brother lives in Japan and he said they love him over there, more so than any other driver. Except there own of course but he is treated like one of there own. IMO, match made in heaven, I can see it now, him on Japanese tv doing all the new Honda commercials.

He rangs bells to me as soon as Honda announced a return. Be stupid not to, like you said, he speaks Japanese, his better half is Japanese and not only that, my younger brother lives in Japan and he said they love him over there, more so than any other driver. Except there own of course but he is treated like one of there own. IMO, match made in heaven, I can see it now, him on Japanese tv doing all the new Honda commercials.

Although I agree completely, and hope desperately that he's retained, it's sad isn't it that in today's world, the above factors are what can get you a drive, rather than focusing primarily on how good a driver you are