Clicky

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Jem of the Shire

Malaysian Gp

Yeah that's quite true. But in saying that seb did seize his opportunity just like dan did 3x last year.

So Fernando "God of Formula 1" Alonso fries his own car, meanwhile the team he just left after getting them nowhere in 5 years kicks Mercedes a## and wins the race. Wow. Ferrari did well to get rid of him, he's obviously terrible to work with and sucks at car development and isn't much of a driver either.

Looking forward to Ferrari not shafting Kimi for a change and seeing him battle with Seb. Alonso must be feeling awesome right now LOL

what did surprise me was how DRAINED Seb looked on the podium !! Like he was to me looking like he was stuffed big time from the heat of the day I guess and the race, whereas Hamilton did look a bit more refreshed. Maybe Seb was caught up in the emotion of the fact that his second drive for Ferrari and he had won !!!.

INMHO Ferrari just plainly out manouvered Merc today OR maybe Ferrari have designed a car that is easy on it's tyres hense the need for one less pit stop. Whatever as I see it is good for F1. Shame about Ricci only getting 10th ??

So Fernando "God of Formula 1" Alonso fries his own car, meanwhile the team he just left after getting them nowhere in 5 years kicks Mercedes a## and wins the race. Wow. Ferrari did well to get rid of him, he's obviously terrible to work with and sucks at car development and isn't much of a driver either.

Looking forward to Ferrari not shafting Kimi for a change and seeing him battle with Seb. Alonso must be feeling awesome right now LOL

Seb had to leave Redbull, he had no choice,he couldn't have another season like last. Just imagine what ricciardo could do in sebs car, he would have won by neally a full lap, lmao. As for fernando, I think he made the right choice IMHO, he was deflated at Ferrari and even though his car this year is pretty bad, he has a good attitude, yeah he would feel gutted but that's hindsight for ya. I think Mclaren will return to the top with alonso eventually, he did bring Renault out of the wilderness and bring them two straight titles or do we forget how Renault won titles back to back on alonso's merit. Heck he neally won a title in Mclaren last time, kimi couldn't and he didnt even have a solid teammate like fernando did in lewis.

Kimi did have a great drive from last but we're not talking about pure bad luck here, he put himself in that position by qualifying so badly.

That's the first time Merc have been beaten on pace since 2013!

I was also interested to hear DC say (on the BBC broadcast) that he met Jean Todt in 1995 and turned down an offer to drive for them in '96. Irvine was 2nd choice!

Kimi did have a great drive from last but we're not talking about pure bad luck here, he put himself in that position by qualifying so badly.

No Jem... Ferrari mechanics didn't fire his engine up in time... and he got stuck in traffic, yet he never blamed the team. What a gentleman!

Yes, after all he is responsible for determining the upcoming weather, watching the rain radar, seeing which other cars are going out, looking at the skyline to see the impending clouds.... oh hang on, thats the team!

I was also interested to hear DC say (on the BBC broadcast) that he met Jean Todt in 1995 and turned down an offer to drive for them in '96. Irvine was 2nd choice!

Now that is intresting. Maybe dc thought he could beat Mika and not Schumi.

Yes, after all he is responsible for determining the upcoming weather, watching the rain radar, seeing which other cars are going out, looking at the skyline to see the impending clouds.... oh hang on, thats the team!

I must say, kimi did fight back really well, that's when he is at his best, when he is on the back foot.

@spiral.out in your books Kimi's responsible for designing the Ferrari so why not also responsible for the weather & radar!

@webric no he was saying he never bought into the 'magic of Ferrari' etc he preferred to stay british.

Wow that's pretty cool. Maybe kimi can help develop ferraris weather system, seems to be the best at everything else.

Come to think of it, you're probably right that DC wouldn't have fancied going up against Schumi. He couldn't beat Hill much at Williams and everyone regarded Schuey as more talented than Hill

He was, the problem with Damon hill is he came in abit to late and he fell of rather quick once he left Williams, he did really well in the arrows and the first season at Jordan but after that I think he was over it and it showed as Frentzen regularly out performed him. Still to this day iam blown away Williams let him go after 96, he was the team leader once ayrton went and it's not like he was struggling to perform.

I think Sir Frank announced at the end of '95 that Hill was gone after the '96 season, which is an odd decision. He'd had a few dodgy moments in '95 and Frank probably felt he should've done better with the equipment.

But yea Hill & JV continuing into 97 made perfect sense surely?? He probably would've been 97 champ too.

1999 was just embarrassing

1997 IMO Schumi would have been champ if his car didnt let him down so often, even if we forget about Jerez. He did some of his best driving that year IMO. Alot of people were backing him to be champion even when the Williams was obviously the better car. 1995 hill just got owned by Schumi and he made some stupid mistakes, silverstone and monza. I read somewhere once hill had an offer to join Mclaren in 1997 but he chose arrows for some stupid reason. Still to this day though I feel for him just missing out on what would have been an incredible victory at Hungary in 1997. To come so close and have JV pass him in the dying laps must have hurt like hell. But everyone knows hill wouldve won if he didnt develop an issue so late in the race so I guess that's some consolidation.

My understanding was that Hill could've driven for McLaren in 1998, but was offered a meagre salary with large bonuses given for race wins.

Odd given the strong season DC had in 97.

Also I was wrong earlier, Williams didn't decide or announce anything at the end of '95

Yeah dc drove really well in 97, so did Mika to just had bad luck. Hills 98 season wouldn't have been much better than 99 if he didnt win at spa as the team didnt score a single point until silverstone that year. Ron Dennis also tried to lure Schumi away from Benetton at the end of 95. I've seen a video where Schumi and Ron Dennis meet at a fashion show and Dennis is chatting to schumi and saying how mega impressive he is and not to push himself so hard as he is right on the edge. Schumi then asks Dennis if there is a problem Schumi will encounter,basically like someone will take him out and Dennis imediatly says no and just to think about sitting down for a "chat".

Edit - here's there meeting here

@spiral.out in your books Kimi's responsible for designing the Ferrari so why not also responsible for the weather & radar!

@webric no he was saying he never bought into the 'magic of Ferrari' etc he preferred to stay british.

He controls the weather, just wanted to give the other guys a sporting chance