Clicky

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Ajay Fernando

Can Alonso Stay Motivated?

Fernando Alonso has a massive task ahead of him and could face years without the chance to win a race in Formula 1.

That is the view of double world champion Mika Hakkinen, who wonders if the Spanish driver is ready to spend the next few years working with McLaren and Honda to try to get to the top.

Alonso rejoined McLaren for the 2015 season after five years with Ferrari, but the British squad has struggled at the back of the field so far.

The two-time champion said recently McLaren will be his last team in F1.

Hakkinen reckons Alonso will face a difficult time finding the motivation if he cannot fight for victories.

"He has taken a massive task to go with the brand new engine manufacturer and go to this development problem which is going to take a long time to get back to the top," Hakkinen told the Daily Express.

"McLaren has definitely great resources and a great team generally and great finances and I am very confident they can reach great results in the future – but it can take a long time.

"So you are right, is Fernando ready to work next two, three, maybe four years in a situation when you are not close to winning?

"It can be a really boring process because it's not only 15, 16 races in the season, it's a long year, travelling around the world, it's really, really tough, so can he motivate himself all the time?"

Fernando Alonso's shot at another title is getting slimmer and slimmer as each day passes by.

Boullier also said it would take next year end for Mclaren Honda to become a winner. It would be really sad for a driver of his calibre to retire without a driver s title after putting so much dedication and effort for nearly 10 years.

HOW DAIR YOU ASK THAT QUESTON!!!! ALONSO IS THE GREETEST EVA!!!11! HE WILL WINN THE CHAMPINSHIP THIS YER YOU JUST WATCH. I LUV HIM SO MUCH HE IS THE GREETEST IN HISOTRY OF ALL TIMEEEE!!!!

HOW DAIR YOU ASK THAT QUESTON!!!! ALONSO IS THE GREETEST EVA!!!11! HE WILL WINN THE CHAMPINSHIP THIS YER YOU JUST WATCH. I LUV HIM SO MUCH HE IS THE GREETEST IN HISOTRY OF ALL TIMEEEE!!!!

lol

Well in all seriousness, no he isn't going to win another championship. McLaren will need to wait until 2017 when the rules change again to get anywhere near the front. He might as well quit now :)

Ah bs spiral lol, he will win another and his motivation is high now than finishing second for Ferrari again and IMO that sayes alot. He wouldn't have left if he didnt feel he could still lift a team and do the job. Still the best out there no questions about it.

They may be fighting for points later this year but they'll still be a million miles away from winning races, and why should we think next year they're going to make a huge step? I really want to see Button winning again but I don't have high hopes.

As for motivation, Alonso's not stupid and must've known what he was in for when he signed up.

Yeah that's right, and iam glad Mclaren kept JB as he is the best possible partner for alonso, been there for a few years,knows all the staff and the ins and outs of Mclaren. Perfect to help alonso,Mclaren and Honda develop a decent car. JB will also help keeps alonso's feet on the ground to in terms of not getting out of hand and to controlling as some reports suggest alonso does.

Yea Jarno Trulli came out yesterday and said he never had an issue with Alonso as a team-mate but that Alonso does expect the whole team to be working purely for him. Hence why I'll take even more joy if Button beats him. Just like he beat Trulli lol.

He'll stay motivated. His life so far is tightly wound around certain expectations of performance and achievement, expectations of himself, mind you. In other words, it is impossible to know if he will win, but it is a fact he will push on like only top athletes can do it.

In this way, he is like most drivers in the grid, that is, they might lose but it would be fight through hell to put them down. What makes Alonso different, what makes Alonso interesting is that his "going at it" is spectacular

Finally some common sense from you!

Yea Jarno Trulli came out yesterday and said he never had an issue with Alonso as a team-mate but that Alonso does expect the whole team to be working purely for him. Hence why I'll take even more joy if Button beats him. Just like he beat Trulli lol.

I don't Beleive that, simply because he is coming into Jensons team retrospectively. If he demanded what Trulli is saying, he wouldn't have signed with Mclaren, he would have stayed where he was simple at that.

Lewis Hamilton has for some time made no secret of the fact that he regards Fernando Alonso as his biggest rival in Formula 1 and the one he respects the most, thus the Briton laments the fact that the Spaniard is currently enduring such a tough time in his career.

Writing in his column for the BBC, Hamilton said, “For Fernando’s sake, I hope he is back battling at the front where he belongs as soon as possible. I’ve said many times that I regard him as my fastest and most talented rival – I think he is one of the best drivers F1 has ever seen.”

Ironically Alonso is back at McLaren, the team which groomed Hamilton from karting to Formula 1. Also the team where Hamilton and Alonso went toe-to-toe for the title in 2007 – they both lost out and the split was acrimonious as Alonso departed, while Hamilton stayed on and in 2008 claimed his first F1 world title.

But that now is water under the bridge and Hamilton right now feels Alonso’s pain of toiling hard at the back of the field as the new McLaren Honda era gets off to a tedious and problem packed start.

Hamilton explained, “Fernando chose to leave Ferrari at the end of last season to go to McLaren, who are now at the back after a difficult start to their new engine partnership with Honda.”

“As an F1 driver, these choices are very tough. When you decide where to drive, you never really know how it is going to work out. I was relating Fernando’s situation to mine, when I decided to leave McLaren at the end of 2012 and come to Mercedes,” reflected Hamilton.

But pointed out, “That worked out well for me. Had I not done that, I would have had a terrible 2013 and I would not have won the title last year.”

“Fernando stuck with Ferrari for five years without getting a car in which he could win the title,” mused Hamilton. “I don’t know what happened between them, but he had obviously had enough and decided to go somewhere else. It’s unfortunate for him that the following year the Ferrari car is amazing.”

“If he was to finish his career without adding to his two world championships, it would be a tragedy, because it would certainly not be due to his driving,” declared Hamilton who leads the 2015 F1 drivers’ championship and is now firm favourite to win his third title at the pinnacle of the sport.

You can be enimies and still aknowledge talent when you see it. How many drivers hated Schumi while they raced against him but these drivers also say he was the best they raced against, hill dc,hakkinen,villeneuve and even alonso has said the same thing. Alonso and Hamilton have been mates for a while now, like you said it's water under the bridge at a time they were both immature but hungry and competitive racers. Time heals all wounds. IMO though, still to this day we have not seen a driver that had the emense talent Schumi did, especially in his late Benetton early Ferrari years. Even though he would later win 5 titles on the trot but from 94-99 is when he was driving at his absolute best IMO. Especially in the wet, unbeleivable.

I was not lucky enough to witness those tremendous drives from schumi. So i will not know. I heard about him and other great drivers from the internet only.

I was not lucky enough to witness those tremendous drives from schumi. So i will not know. I heard about him and other great drivers from the internet only.

Ohh man you missed something truly special. One of his best if not the best drive, youtube Michael Schumacher Hungary 1998 3 stop strategy where he had to find 21 seconds in 19 laps to beat the Mclaren's of hakkinen and coulthard who were both two stopping. Incredible, not to mention his spa victory in 1995 and his Spanish win in 96 with Ferrari to name a few. Truly fantastic. Ayrton senna donington 1993 was probably the greatest ever f1 lap.

Alonso & Lewis are always complimenting each other, a bit too much sometimes, gets weird.

In 2007 their beef wasn't with each other. Alonso had beef with Ron.

That's right and Ron loved lewis to bits so I dare say alonso felt special treatment was being handed to lewis and while he was the current world champion at the time he felt he demanded the treatment. In all honesty I think the both had fair play but it was Mclaren's management in controlling the situation that through away the title for one of there drivers. Plus spygate meant they lost a guaranteed constructors title I Beleive.

Massa now comes and says that if Mclaren is not going to be competitive from 2016 , Alonso might consider quitting and ending his career. But i dont understand whats the point in quitting if he still has the pace. Also in 2017 the regulations are changing and who knows what might happen , Mclaren may be fighting for wins. I hope Alonso doesnt take a stupid decision,atleast for his fans sakes.

I don't think he will retire anytime soon, just people trying to make a story out of a bad situation. Massa hopes he retires as he probably can't deal with another whooping once the Mclaren gets up and going. I've always felt Massa was a tad overrated IMO.