Clicky

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Insider

Kimi Stays - Now What?

The Scuderia have just announced that Kimi will stay through 2016. Clearly, Bottas will remain at Williams. Will JB replace Massa? It's a 'could be' depending on a. the boardroom scuffle at Woking and b. Gene Haas - I believe he had both JB and Massa on his list. Felipe is a perfect fit with the Ferrari/Haas tie up and he speaks fluent Italian. Williams may look at the youngsters with money who are around but I still think Bottas will move on in 2017 and Jenson's worth had gone up immeasurably in the past few years. He would be a catch for Frank at @£5m say and worth every penny.

OMG YEEEEESSSS. I LOVE YOUS ALL EQUALLY!!!!

Massa to Haas. I like it. He would be a great link to Ferrari. But despite Haas using a Ferrari powertrain, it's still going to be a Dallara. A DUUUUUHH LARRRRA. Thus it's most likely going to be about as good as the HRTs.

I'd love to see JB goto Williams. He owes them, and they have a good car. Sign a 2 year contract and who here would not be happy with that. The fact Williams havn't announced Massa tells me they are mulling something over, whether it's JB or some other driver.

Bottas still has to prove himself I feel. He's not a shoe-in for the Ferrari seat in 2017. Not yet. I know a few here would like to see Ricci at Ferrari. Time will tell who gets the seat. It could in the end be out of leftfield, like a Sainz perhaps. Though I don't think so.

OMG YEEEEESSSS. I LOVE YOUS ALL EQUALLY!!!!

Massa to Haas. I like it. He would be a great link to Ferrari. But despite Haas using a Ferrari powertrain, it's still going to be a Dallara. A DUUUUUHH LARRRRA. Thus it's most likely going to be about as good as the HRTs.

I'd love to see JB goto Williams. He owes them, and they have a good car. Sign a 2 year contract and who here would not be happy with that. The fact Williams havn't announced Massa tells me they are mulling something over, whether it's JB or some other driver.

Bottas still has to prove himself I feel. He's not a shoe-in for the Ferrari seat in 2017. Not yet. I know a few here would like to see Ricci at Ferrari. Time will tell who gets the seat. It could in the end be out of leftfield, like a Sainz perhaps. Though I don't think so.

Well, if it isn't Bottas, Verstappen could be a candidate for Ferrari in 2017. Ricciardo has to be beating Kyvat regularly to advance his career.

Traditionally Ferrari don't hire young drivers, and Verstappen is still a teenager. I think he's a bit young and immature at this point to be a Ferrari driver and ambassador so to speak. Realistically he hasn't done better than Ricci did last year, so if Ricci has an asterix next to his name, then Verstappen would have to be below him.

Yes a good point. Ferrari hire knowns, not unknowns. I don't recall them having signed an unknown driver in the modern era. Massa probably would have to be the closest to an unknown driver in the past 15 years or so.

What other choice did Ferrari have but to resign Kimi realistically? They didn't want to pay the massive amounts that both Williams and redbull would've wanted to release there drivers so it was the only sensible option. But if he doesnt perform next year, he won't even see the season out.

What other choice did Ferrari have but to resign Kimi realistically? They didn't want to pay the massive amounts that both Williams and redbull would've wanted to release there drivers so it was the only sensible option. But if he doesnt perform next year, he won't even see the season out.

Thanks for clearing that up Maurizio

Of course Kimi will see the season out, regardless of performances. Unless he gets injured of course, he will race all year long.

The huge payouts for Bottas and Ricci didn't justify signing them. Thus keeping Kimi made sense on many levels. One because if they felt Bottas or Ricci where that much better, they would have paid the fee. They did for Alonso when he came in and paid Kimi out for 30million for a entire year. They paid big to get Vettel. Thus I don't think they are short on funds. Rather the deal wasn't right. And to be honest Bottas hasn't set the world alight this year, neither has Ricci. Neither Bottas or Ricci have done better than Kimi this year.

Paying out Kimi's contract, and then buying Ricci/Bottas' contracts, and then be left with a driver who might very well end up doing about the same as Kimi isn't good business at this point.

Don't underestimate Allison and Vettel's views in all of this as well. Keeping the same team together can reap alot of benefits down the line with car development, team harmony and so on.

Of course Kimi will see the season out, regardless of performances. Unless he gets injured of course, he will race all year long.

The huge payouts for Bottas and Ricci didn't justify signing them. Thus keeping Kimi made sense on many levels. One because if they felt Bottas or Ricci where that much better, they would have paid the fee. They did for Alonso when he came in and paid Kimi out for 30million for a entire year. They paid big to get Vettel. Thus I don't think they are short on funds. Rather the deal wasn't right. And to be honest Bottas hasn't set the world alight this year, neither has Ricci. Neither Bottas or Ricci have done better than Kimi this year.

Paying out Kimi's contract, and then buying Ricci/Bottas' contracts, and then be left with a driver who might very well end up doing about the same as Kimi isn't good business at this point.

Don't underestimate Allison and Vettel's views in all of this as well. Keeping the same team together can reap alot of benefits down the line with car development, team harmony and so on.

Gem of a post there KM. Should shut em up

Yeah I agree, the only thing I don't agree with is if kimi performs worse than this year, he will get the boot before the end of next season but that's just an opinion.

That's certainly a possibility, but it's not a probability. You have to go way back, way way back to see a team dump a driver for a non injury/contract related issue. JV being dumped from Sauber is one that comes to mind. Trulli from Renault, though the most common view I've seen on that, was that the Emperor didn't want to be shown up anymore. But can anyone think of any in recent times? I can't. Thus I see no reason for Ferrari to ditch Kimi next year half way through, it just doesn't make sense. They have only re-signed him for one more year anyway.

This is a nice quote from Arrivabene.

“We believe that extending Kimi’s contract into the next season will provide further stability to the team. This has been our guideline, also considering the very good relationship between Kimi and Seb.”

A smart move I feel. They didn't retain Kimi just to keep Vettel happy, rather it was the smart move to maintain team harmony. Kimi is very well liked within Ferrari by the mechanics and team. And for testing, development and stability, it was also the best choice.

Now when the rumours whirl up again, it will only be about who gets the seat, not because they didn't retain Kimi. Thank goodness.

I believe it was the smartest move also. Although at the beginning of all this saga,deep down I always felt they would keep kimi but I wanted the usual spark and speculation, because we all love to read all these stories on who is getting the seat and blah blah blah. No way on earth would redbull ditch Ricciardo while still under contract so I was only thinking if anyone it would be Williams to let bottas go and sadly to say at this time and it's a first, redbull seem to be trying with all there might hold onto there driver as Williams stated the want 10 million pounds for bottas, while redbull didn't even have a price I beleive, therefor not for sale.Kimi staying IMO was a last resort/play it safe idea, let's be honest, kimi at this point of time isn't doing his greatest. But I hope this gives him the "kick in the butt" so to speak and we start seeing the kimi we used to know out on circuit and show people like myself, that he earnt that new Ferrari deal.

I long for the Kimi of old. The Kimi from 2005. Yes please, I want some more of that. He doesn't seem to be able to string together a good qualifying. But having said that, he was awesome in the last race. Really alot better than he had been in the past. New car changes perhaps? setups? I don't know, but to see him and Vettel scream off the line at the start was good fun.

The Undisputed King of Spa!! Let's see how he goes this weekend eh. Fingers crossed he does well.

RBR won't let go of Ricci until they have someone better to fill the racing seat. And if they go with Merc engines for next year, why would he leave then. Better to stay. They might have a real race winner of a car again. Thus I don't see Ricci leaving at this point. Verstappen and Kyvat are not better than Ricci at this point, neither is Sainz. Thus he could have a long profitable career at RBR if he wants.

So has it been confirmed redbull with Mercedes next year?

Yeah the car design is moving toward Kimi all the time under Alison. Next year will be even better, and he will dominate Vettel for a 2nd WDC.

No way, Vettel is the future of Ferrari, they won't make a car to suit one driver for one season.

Where did I say that.

In the above post saying the car design is moving towards Kimi, maybe I misunderstood your post.

Trulli from Renault, though the most common view I've seen on that, was that the Emperor didn't want to be shown up anymore.

Heheheheheheheheehe, just read this again. The emperor and co has now been hit with 55 grid penalties at the back of the grid. Heheheheheheheheehe. Could'nt been any funnier

Heheheheheheheheehe, just read this again. The emperor and co has now been hit with 55 grid penalties at the back of the grid. Heheheheheheheheehe. Could'nt been any funnier

This is bs isn't? Is there another 20 odd ghost cars we can't see?

I think it's freaking awesome, seriously it's epic. Honda should be busting out a new engine every single race now. 55 grid penalties, pffff give me 150 grid place penalties. What difference does it make anyway lol. They should go all out with their development and in the process show how freaking ridiculous these penalties are. So if they can get that count up to like 500, all the better. Maybe the F1 Farce Circus will be shown up for what it's really become.

So much for the Honda upgrade and McLaren saying they were targeting Ferrari. Everyone knew it was BS and none of us are remotely surprised that they're still finishing 2nd to last. Still, they did say Spa and Monza won't show the improvements. Meh I don't expect anything inspiring to happen there at all this season