Clicky

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Emmcee

No More Engine Tokens?

I read somewhere,can't find it now but apparently engine tokens are gone as of this season, so what does that mean? Are teams no allowed to develop there engine how they like or are they still frozen in terms of development? Does anyone know the answer to this and care to elaborate?

When I first saw the headlines on GPToday I nearly screamed out in frustration. But after reading them more, yes this was a good change. No tokens needed, so a team and manufacturer can then develop as much as they like. This is what we have all been asking for and wanting. I think they should also increase the engine allocation, not decrease it. It was way cheaper to go through engines than it is now where they have to make one last 4-5 races. Anyway, finally a change for the good, because F1 just continues to disappoint basically. We hear they might do this, and change these rules, then it always gets watered down and we actually end up with something totally different. You learn to be disappointed. That's how I see F1. If you can suck up the disappointment, the lack of a real exciting show with cars that are beasts to the ears and require a proper man with balls to drive, then it might be the sport for you. I can't imagine I would ever have fallen in love with F1 if I had started watching 2-3 years ago. I'd view it as something lame and boring like Formula E. I remember watching live Aryton crashing and knowing he was gone. Seeing Schumi do the cut ins on JV and Hill. And so many other eras and times when F1 WAS exciting. I'm basically just sticking around for Kimi and Vettel now, and maybe in the hopes F1 will somehow become exciting again. Chances of that are slim at best.

When I first saw the headlines on GPToday I nearly screamed out in frustration. But after reading them more, yes this was a good change. No tokens needed, so a team and manufacturer can then develop as much as they like. This is what we have all been asking for and wanting. I think they should also increase the engine allocation, not decrease it. It was way cheaper to go through engines than it is now where they have to make one last 4-5 races. Anyway, finally a change for the good, because F1 just continues to disappoint basically. We hear they might do this, and change these rules, then it always gets watered down and we actually end up with something totally different. You learn to be disappointed. That's how I see F1. If you can suck up the disappointment, the lack of a real exciting show with cars that are beasts to the ears and require a proper man with balls to drive, then it might be the sport for you. I can't imagine I would ever have fallen in love with F1 if I had started watching 2-3 years ago. I'd view it as something lame and boring like Formula E. I remember watching live Aryton crashing and knowing he was gone. Seeing Schumi do the cut ins on JV and Hill. And so many other eras and times when F1 WAS exciting. I'm basically just sticking around for Kimi and Vettel now, and maybe in the hopes F1 will somehow become exciting again. Chances of that are slim at best.

Very good post mate and I agree with everything in there. Couldn't have said it better myself.

Your post got me thinking monkey, every year we have a champion and since I started watching it back in I think 1990 there was a competitor who would give the eventual champion a real run for his money. Not just by getting the results when his rival failed to finish but also having a car that would be equally as competitive on particular circuits. You look back from say 2010 all the way back to 1990 and you will see championships having to be won by a consistant dog fight through the whole season, not given to him or his team mate on a platter because current regs won't allow other manufacturers to figure out your advantage or if they already have, can't do anything about it. It has been this way since 2010, we have to wait for new regs to allow teams to catch up and it's never really catch up,it's more along the lines of who has interpreted the new rules to there advantage the most is who goes on to win the championship and for years to come. Some may argue schumi's domination from the early 2000s but anyone with the slightest piece of f1 knowledge will know it was schumi's who lured the best of there field to Ferrari to build what he wanted. But back then we didn't have rules stopping others from closing the gap to Ferrari, they simply just couldn't catch up. Even rule changes in I think 2003 were to stop schumachers domination but it failed, but once again, teams weren't restricted like today. Look all the way through the 90s, battles for race wins and titles and was it very rare it was against teammates like it is today, it was mainly 2-3 cars at any given time,able to win on any circuit and consistently and they were all different teams to. Ohh how I miss the f1 of the 90s, IMO f1 died when the regs were introduced in 1998,although we have had some brilliant races since then, I just can't help that who ever wins has won on the base of interpreted rules with a machine that won't be able to be touched by any rival team for atleast a season. Not like back then when a 3 stopper could win you a race simply because your car is lighter and your faster. Back then also you had one clear faster driver than the other, not like today when it looks like whichever team has the best car, there two will be at the front. I would've loved to see Irvine more up the front with Schumacher back in the day,even Coulthard couldn't keep up with Hakkinen when the Finn was in his prime. Back in the 90s, you needed balls to be quick, but to be extremely quick, you needed balls of steel and you can see the difference when you look at drivers like Irvine and Coulthard compared to Hakkinen and Schumacher. Today, there is no gap like that, it's more or less luck as to where you furnish adjacent to your teammate as steel balls are no longer required.

Yeah ok so a step in the right direction.

Having said this sport is like a f&*cking game of ping pong, goes one way then bounces back in the other direction. F&*cking ridiculous.

Yeah exactly and the sooner they realise that formula one has and always will be dangerous and trying to totally eliminate safety concerns is not only a waste of time but it's impossible to do. If they actually put as much energy into the sport itself than just random safety measures that all sports have associated with its own sport in general, we would have a fantastic series. If your a die hard race fan, f1 should by so fascinating that you shouldn't even be distracted at all with what is going on in other motorsports as it should have everything and more that these "feeder" or rival series have. But that's just a world of common sense and obviously that's few and very far between nowadays. Look at how "alive" f1 was back in the 60s,70s,80s and even the nineties, it was the thrill of living on the edge, one mistake and it could be all over. Yeah I know we need safety but look at the 60s and 70s, safety was thrown out the window in the search for more power and speed. Now people weren't stupid back then, dying isn't something new, we all knew about it but it was the aura the sport produced that made us not even care when we watched those cars go around the circuit and that my friend is racing at its purest form, wether you like it or not, that's the truth. Do we deserve to see drivers mutilated like in the early days? Of course not, but do we deserve to miss out on the purest most balls out racing as well? Look at this stupid halo design they want to bring in, yeah what's happens when a driver (God forbid) has an accident and is decapitated by the halo, they will be quicker to withdraw them than bring them in. Now with all this, what the fvck is there even open wheel racing? If there going to this extent, just ban it all, go to racing tin tops, just remove the wheel fenders of a NASCAR and have them get sun burnt on there necks and let them go at it, that's what it will turn into. It ryles me up so much because all it is, is a massive brain fart so disillusionnal that 90% of the time causes more drama down the track than before it was even mentioned. I've seen that happen time and time again in f1. Lucky we have watched f1 for a while and we know what to expect and can understand, but what about someone who has no clue about the sport? How they going to know about the whole Drs,ers,ICE, engine regs and what not? There not doing a good job influencing new fans are they? The worst thing for "old school" fans is we know where it came from and what we lost in the process to get it. We lost formula one.

I guess somewhere along the way they FORGOT about " Cost Cutting"

Don't get me started on that, biggest scam bernie and the sport has going, just think about it for a moment and what it actually means. For years now this sport had been "cost cutting" or reducing costs, now where is this "saved" money going? Back into the sport? As if, if it did, they wouldn't need to consistently cut costs, think about it, how is it possible to still over spend in a cost cutting period where all they do is keep suposidly cutting costs. All goes into bernies pocket while the rest of us suffer through, lack of competitiveness from a variety of teams, lack of testing to improve the show and now for most of us, the lack of even being able to view it due to the rights going to pay TV. The rich man continues to rip the lower class man off and still gets away with it because society today is simply to lazy to fight back and they know it. Yet the public still scurrys out there way like worthless peasants when they have to get past. F1 is so corrupt it's not funny and anyone who disagrees, Iam sorry but you simply have no idea. Everything today is corrupt, absolutely everything, it's extremely rare that you find a case operating on good,faith,merit and for the cause today, it just doesn't happen. Yeah there is cost cutting in f1 but it's along the lines of this: "how do I increase the turnover with spending even less, if I have to push away fans, then so be it"

luckily we all will outlast Bernie, and maybe the new guy will "See The Light"

Bernie knows the light all to well, he just let corporate greed get in the way of the real reason he started in that business anyway. Never had a problem when tobacco advertising was in the sport because that's where Bernie made all his money and that's when f1 was at its best, when Bernie and co. Let it be and just cashed in on tobacco advertisement. Soon as that's banned, he needed to source the income elsewhere and what else to do than pocket the cash from suposidly cutting costs in the sport. If it was put back into the sport then the sport could've ran like it used to with 4 practice season a warmup before the race and the unlimited testing they used to do. Iam sure a balance could've been found, but that's not the concern, it's not about how to make f1 better it's about making the most from f1 now and it's disgusting IMO but can you name anything that doesn't involve corruption nowadays? Bet you can't.

Bernie knows the light all to well, he just let corporate greed get in the way of the real reason he started in that business anyway. Never had a problem when tobacco advertising was in the sport because that's where Bernie made all his money and that's when f1 was at its best, when Bernie and co. Let it be and just cashed in on tobacco advertisement. Soon as that's banned, he needed to source the income elsewhere and what else to do than pocket the cash from suposidly cutting costs in the sport. If it was put back into the sport then the sport could've ran like it used to with 4 practice season a warmup before the race and the unlimited testing they used to do. Iam sure a balance could've been found, but that's not the concern, it's not about how to make f1 better it's about making the most from f1 now and it's disgusting IMO but can you name anything that doesn't involve corruption nowadays? Bet you can't.

sad but true

It is when your messing with the authenticity of the sport and that's what has happened. If drivers and teams were told back in the late 90s that artificial aids were needed to allowing overtaking I bet they would do what ever is necessary to make sure f1 doesn't go down that route. And if you look at how authentic the racing was back then, even the cars, compared to now, all you have to do is look at a picture from then to now and you can even see it in the picture. Martin brundle made the perfect assessment after driving both a modern force India and Mercedes. He said today's cars arnt as psychically to drive now as when he did but are harder to keep on the circuit. So what he is saying is today drivers get adrenalin simply by not spinning the care compared to getting in and driving on the limit. He was able to do a 100 lap run at 56 years of age without getting a sore neck and that is a joke IMO. He also said the blown diffuser redbulls were easiest to drive as it had more grip over power. It's so easy to fix but yet they make it sound like its so difficult, the big boys just don't want to loose any money and I fail to see how that will happen if cars have more mechanical grip and produce more natural and closer racing, I know it will make me happy along with millions of other fans. If I were an f1 driver, I would be doing what ever I could to get rid of this old scumbag and if that even meant talking other drivers around to strike until he is dismissed then I would do that. Heck I've started quite a few strikes at work in my day, I know how it works lol. What they have done over time is like allowing hands to be used in soccer, an extra step before a travel in basketball, counting foul balls as homers in baseball, that's how extreme formula one has become when you look at as a whole. Radical rule changes every single year doesn't help.