Clicky

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

radical-one

Austria 2016

Yep, it's 2016 already but interesting to see that the track record is still held by Michael Schumy at :

1:08.337  set in 2003

Does it mean that his 2003 car is still faster than today's turbos or he's just much better than any driver until today ? 

The 2003/2004 cars were the fastest in the sports history.

First thing first, as a (bias) fan of MS, I think he, next to Alain Prost, is simply one of the best drivers of all times in F1 category. In terms of top speed, situation is complicated. Current car can do in town 366 [km/hr], and that should be enough to pass the Austrian record. However, since that one stands, I think it is due to convergence of several factors, one of which implies that Michael's Ferrari was a "racier" (agile) car. We have today these fuel restrictions, circus tires, equipment saving modes due to limits on substitutes, etc. Thingies got slower.

Get rid of all this nonsence, mount a proper racing tire on, and the record will be challenged, methinks. 

That is true sakae, to an extent as I beleive the cars from 03,04 had much higher cornering speeds and the power was immediately there being an NA engine compared to the slight lag you will always get with a turbo.

4 hours ago, Sakae said:

First thing first, as a (bias) fan of MS, I think he, next to Alain Prost, is simply one of the best drivers of all times in F1 category. In terms of top speed, situation is complicated. Current car can do in town 366 [km/hr], and that should be enough to pass the Austrian record. However, since that one stands, I think it is due to convergence of several factors, one of which implies that Michael's Ferrari was a "racier" (agile) car. We have today these fuel restrictions, circus tires, equipment saving modes due to limits on substitutes, etc. Thingies got slower.

Get rid of all this nonsence, mount a proper racing tire on, and the record will be challenged, methinks. 

What about the Weight, DRS, KERS, Turbos, 13 year more advanced aeros, etc.,  advantages of the current car, Still not enough to beat Schumy? 

I think Schumy rules !

Well not really because back then they ran the grooved slick which was supposed to limit cornering speeds. But they found away around that and the cars became just as grippy.

4 minutes ago, radical-one said:

i hated those grooved tires. 

Apparently that makes two of us.

Remember when they introduced them in 1998? They only had three grooves on the front and four on the rear, 1999 they made it four in the front as well.

The grooves I didn't really mind, it was the narrowing of the chassis and shortening the suspension arms that got me, look like the were out in a vice and wound half way.

If they widened the chassis and returned the 40mm they shaved of both sides, it would look a lot more aggressive and probably a lot less twitchy to drive also.

On then photos, 2017 cars looked better.

The only ugly thing that will remain is Lewis' faggy face !