Clicky

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Sakae

2017 Racing Calendar

Ecclestone has indicated reduction of racing venues next year from 21 to 18, and as I understand it, he is striving for eliminating two races in EU. 

This year we have races in these European locations:

Russia, Spain, Monaco, Baku, Austria, England, Hungary, Germany, Belgium, and Italy. Which ones of those are then on the block?

To me most ominous from highly partisan media rumor mill are Italy, and Germany as falling out. There are alledgedly some issues with Monaco and Spa, but I will not pretend that I understand accurately what's going on. English GP is not certain either, because with dropping currency value against USD, Silverstone might not find funds to survive, unless taxpayer money will be used to pay out to CVC.

Well apparently some law got passed that it's illegal for bernie to axe monza. I don't know the details but I've seen something along the lines of that. You know with them going to 20 or so races, they could knock it back to 16/17/18 and use those extra funds the teams would've spent in extra freight to the other 3 or so races and 3 or so extra test sessions though out the season, do you think this would make the racing closer as teams could develop sooner and more frequent. One rule I think that should be implemented and that's teams not allowed to test at Catalunya or after certain races. Teams shouldn't be allowed to test on a circuit that is active on the championship calendar.

I think that might be misunderstanding. Ecclestone may be able probably drop Monza if they cannot pay demanded fee, but the notion that Imola can take over from Monza is gone, due to law passed this year in Itally. It's Monza, or nothing. (At least that's my understanding).

You can't get rid of monza, it's one of the few historic circuits left they race on. I've said this before, the championship should consist of 20 races, 10 old/historic classic circuits and 10 newer or new circuits.

One overall general problem is funds.

Less spectator, less sponsors due to boring F1.

Either Bernie dies soon or F1 will.

7 hours ago, Emmcee said:

You can't get rid of monza, it's one of the few historic circuits left they race on. I've said this before, the championship should consist of 20 races, 10 old/historic classic circuits and 10 newer or new circuits.

This article speaks about reasons why Imola might not be able to hold the race.

http://www.grandprix247.com/2016/06/22/new-law-states-that-italian-gp-must-be-held-at-monza/

I heard that another reason is that Imola is no longer a grade 1 circuit  in the eyes of FIA. Must be grade 1 circuit safety wise aswell to host a f1 race. Apparently surfers paradise is a grade 2 also as that's the reason they can't come to surfers, that an Melbourne wouldn't let it go.

Canada might be off next year as well. Looks like new garages, due next year, are one year late.

Yeah another circuit that holds history in the sport. Bernie is makes it so obvious he has not one slightest care or well being for the sport. It could be held in the fiery pits of hell for all he cares just as long as he gets paid.

The  news source quoted Formula 1's supremo saying that next year's calendar could see a reduction in the number of races to 18 from its current schedule of 21.

"That is exactly what will happen -- one or two countries will be excluded, definitely," Ecclestone said.

" I can't say which ones, but the new countries will be from a different part of the world. Not from Europe. Formula 1 is not the European championship, this is the world championship."

Tiring.

Yeah you idiot! Then show us that it IS a Formula One world championship and not a fat cow that can be consistently milked.

The guy is so transparent he is like a ghost, does he do it on purpose? Surely he must, he wouldn't be that stupid to not know what he is doing. But if someone has the balls to say it to him like I just mentioned it here, bet he would be one of the dumbest people you have ever heard.

Interestingly enough, I read that over 60% of the F1 "customers" (I gather it denotes paying fans). are from EU. 

A Briton looking to get out of the EU?  You don't say . . . ;)

I'd like to share something from North American racing.  If you host a NASCAR race, you get paid $15,000,000 as your cut of the TV revenue.  Yes, you read that right.  To turn a profit as a NASCAR track, you just have to be on the calendar.  You could sell zero tickets and make a profit.  It's just extra money if people bother to show up.

The downside, of course, is no one can be assed to do anything about the half-empty stands at NASCAR races, which just looks pitiful on TV, but consider the upside.  You're never going to see NASCAR leave the tracks fans love because the tracks aren't being asked to pay a $20,000,000 sanctioning fee.  They're getting paid.

In fact, NASCAR just did a five-year agreement with all the tracks on the calendar, guaranteeing them their dates for five years.  The tracks now have an asset: a spot on the calendar.  And if, for some reason, a track ever wanted to get out of the NASCAR game, it isn't that they just disappear, as in F1.  They hold the rights to their race date, which means they get to sell it to a different track, the one that would replace them.

I can't imagine that F1 can't find some kind of model that would work for it similar to this.  NASCAR's still profitable doing this, and will be in the long-term because it's sacrificing a bigger profit now to ensure the health of the things it needs, like, you know, tracks to race on, and races that have some history and name recognition to them.  The average American doesn't watch NASCAR, but the average American sure as hell knows what Daytona, Talladega, and Indianapolis refer to.  And they usually know about the NASCAR race(s) nearest them (e.g., when I lived in Massachusetts, everyone around knew about the New Hampshire Motor Speedway).  You get that by having consistent calendars.  We've all known it, but F1's played such a short-term game lately.  Ecclestone won't be around to see the damage; bluntly, he'll expire before the pay TV deals he cashed in on do.

What constitutes "World Championship" anyway? Is merely traveling around the globe enough, or one also needs healthy mix of drivers and teams from different nationalities, which are domicile in their home countries (as in football/soccer World Cup), and meet to race on various tracks? Like Ferrari, should we have such teams from other countries and continents participating? From what I see is right now merely a British based series, which takes it on the road, but is that The World Championship? I do doubt that.