Senna

F1 Ace

• Senior Members
  • 12,065 posts

Posted 22 August 2005 - 11:10 PM

HERBERT HOMES IN ON NASCAR RIDE

ITV

Posted Image

Former Formula 1 driver Johnny Herbert, who recently joined the Jordan Midland operation as its sporting relations manager, claims he is close to a deal to race in America's leading motorsport series NASCAR.

The 41-year-old Briton has made no secret of the fact that he wants to return to competitive action and has enjoyed a long spell in sportscar racing since retiring from F1 with Jaguar in 2000.

When announcing his Jordan deal, Herbert revealed that he was chasing a NASCAR ride, and now it seems that it may become a reality.

"It's something that Mark Perkins (formerly of IMG), who helps me out now and again, has been working on for a good few months," Herbert told Autosport.

"Mark's more of a finance man and it's through speaking to his contacts that this started, and it has all just progressed from there.

"The group basically wants to get into NASCAR and I've always been interested but never really known how to get involved, being a non-American.

"But it's got to the point where, hopefully, in the next month we'll know if it's a goer or not."

NASCAR is a predominantly oval-based category and requires a different approach to racing than F1.

It is also regarded as one of the most difficult motorsport disciplines to break into.

But Herbert remains undeterred.

"I had a look at IRL but that never really took off and NASCAR is something else," he said.

"I like ovals and I like a challenge. A lot of people shy away from anything with a wall near it but I'd be up for it. After all, I started my F1 career in a wheelchair and left in one too!

"NASCAR is very different from what I know but it would be a good thing to do. I'd have to learn it because the racing is very different."
Posted Image

#2 pumpdoc

pumpdoc

Do not pizz me off

• Pit Crew
  • 8,586 posts
  • Interests:racing,golf, guns and radio controled boats

Posted 22 August 2005 - 11:52 PM

B) I don't know about this as he's way over the market age for a top team--they want them young.........................
"Moving to Montana soon, gonna be a dentill floss tycoon"
Livestrong                                        

Forza Ferrari!!!!!
Forza Italiano!!!!!!!!

"I reject your reality and substitute my own"------Adam--Mythbusters

#3 Senna

Senna

F1 Ace

• Senior Members
  • 12,065 posts

Posted 25 August 2005 - 11:22 PM

Hmm…he could always join Bernie’s senior tour if that becomes a reality.
Posted Image

#4 bajo39

bajo39

F1 Ace

• Senior Members
  • 6,677 posts

Posted 25 August 2005 - 11:27 PM

I for one would dearly like to see ole Johhny racing again, if it has to be in NASCAR then so be it, I shall support him nevertheless.
"I knew I'd been beaten by the best driver in the world"
      -Rene Arnoux on his epic last lap battle with Gilles Villeneuve at Dijon 1979.

Watch it here!

#5 AutoRacer5

AutoRacer5

Making Blumpkin Pie

• Senior Members
  • 5,210 posts
  • Interests:women, racing, alcohol.

Posted 27 August 2005 - 02:27 AM

Bajo, what nationality are you?

Also, it would be cool for him to go into NASCAR.
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Nobody bitched when McLaren and Williams dominated F1...

www.f1weekly.com

AutoRacer5 vs. Ecapdeville on Fight Night Round 3:
6-1

AutoRacer5 vs. Ecapdeville on Forza Motorsport:
4-4

View PostUrKo, on Sep 10 2006, 4:06 PM, said:

....parabolica is in S2.....

My blog: http://openwheelrants.vox.com/

#6 JayStorm

JayStorm

Alonso > F1

• Members
  • 1,230 posts

Posted 28 August 2005 - 12:38 AM

Indeed, although if this is to happen, he'll probably end up with a mid-grid team that are pretty desperate. I think he'll do ok, but won't really achieve a great deal.

JS.
Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

This website is unofficial and is not associated in any way with the Formula One group of companies. F1, FORMULA ONE, FORMULA 1, FIA FORMULA ONE WORLD CHAMPIONSHIP, GRAND PRIX and related marks are trade marks of Formula One Licensing B.V.