Clicky

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Kati

Paul Richard Tests

1 ROS 1:06.881 46

2 RAI 1:06.937 33

3 WEB 1:06.974 32

4 KUB 1:07.131 33

5 HAM 1:07.158 30

6 GLO 1:07.381 27

7 LIU 1:08.339 33

8 VET 1:08.555 14

9 DIG 1:08.643 53

10 WUR 1:08.685 20

http://my.ing-renaultf1.com/en/blog/298-Pa...4-May-2008.html

i didn't find the old tests thread :/ so these are timings for today so far. took me a while to notice DIG is digrassi hehe

Williams kinda sorta trying out the shark fin concept I see

99608.jpg

I do wonder what the heck thats supposed to do - you'd expect the bigger teams to be trying it by now if it was a good time earner...

One report I read said it was to hide something else they found, although didnt suggest what that could be...

1. M. Webber Red Bull Racing RB4 1:06.348 54

2. N. Rosberg Williams FW30 1:06.876 +0.528 56

3. K. R

I do wonder what the heck thats supposed to do - you'd expect the bigger teams to be trying it by now if it was a good time earner...

One report I read said it was to hide something else they found, although didnt suggest what that could be...

It's main purpose is to increase rear end stability under yaw. Note that the version on the FW30 has a little winglet about where the engine cover meets the rear wing.

Williams are also using the R28 inspired bridge wing where the two ends coming from the endpaltes have their own endplates before they cross the nose cone area. This allows the wing either side of the nose cone to be trimmed with more aggressive angle.

Copy cat aero development at it's finest.

When Sam Michael said to ITV \"We get about 60% of our design ideas internally, and the other 40% from what other teams do with their cars\" I guess he wasn\'t kidding. Still, in a world like Formula 1 nobody can be too proud to make use of other people\'s ideas.

The track's name is Paul Ricard... Maybe they guy's real name was Paul Richard and the h fell off at the circuit entrance.

Raikkonen hits the top at Paul Ricard

Kimi Raikkonen turned the tables on McLaren to set the pace on the second day of the Paul Ricard test.

Teams concluded their development work on the shorter layout at the French circuit, which was configured to simulate Monte Carlo-type conditions ahead of next weekend

The times if anyone is interested:

1. RAIKKONEN Ferrari 1m05.381s

2. KOVALAINEN McLaren 1m05.471s

3. KUBICA BMW 1m05.905s

4. COULTHARD Red Bull 1m06.001s

5. BUTTON Honda 1m06.091s

6. BOURDAIS Toro Rosso 1m06.125s

7. TRULLI Toyota 1m06.205s

8. PIQUET Renault 1m06.355s

9. NAKAJIMA Williams 1m07.080s

10. SUTIL Force India 1m07.104s

11. FISICHELLA Force India 1m07.123s

I am immortal and I'll tell you all why.

I have a certain amount of things to accomplish in life before I can die and I have a good chance of getting all but one accomplished. That one little impossible task is to convince this forum that testing times mean absolutely nothing to anyone but the teams and drivers. Even though we may know what programme they are on or what bits they are testing, it's impossible to know what the drivers have gleaned from all of it. Have they gleaned enough to get a good set-up for the race? Are they chasing ghosts? Have they gotten the confidence necessary to putting in a good drive come Monaco? None of this will ever be known and in these days where the difference between the top cars cannot be measured in whole seconds even something as trivial as a driver's confidence level will make a difference to lap times.

For us as fans following testing is useless.

I have a certain amount of things to accomplish in life before I can die and I have a good chance of getting all but one accomplished. That one little impossible task is to convince this forum that testing times mean absolutely nothing to anyone but the teams and drivers. Even though we may know what programme they are on or what bits they are testing, it's impossible to know what the drivers have gleaned from all of it. Have they gleaned enough to get a good set-up for the race? Are they chasing ghosts? Have they gotten the confidence necessary to putting in a good drive come Monaco? None of this will ever be known and in these days where the difference between the top cars cannot be measured in whole seconds even something as trivial as a driver's confidence level will make a difference to lap times.

Spot on.

Another factor with the current tests taking place in France is that the teams rarely test there, and when they do it is on different track layouts (Something unique to Paul Ricard) making the task of finding any useful data for us the fans even harder.

Note: I posted the times for anyone that was interested, as an after thought, not to contradict myself :D

Very true - I pay attention, because it's a non-race weekend and I like to follow F1. I know there'll be no useful information in the times, but still - nothing else is going on in the F1 world (not much anyway), so why not watch.

I think you will remain immortal though, since those of us who know no useful info can be garnered from these times, don't need convincing and those that don't will still read into them no matter what you say.

One possible affect of the testing (just to condradict myself) is that a driver who does really well might (MIGHT) be inclined to have more confidence going into Monaco which might (MIGHT) affect their driver there, although I doubt it, because I think the drivers know exactly as we do - that these times (or at least the comparison of their times with other drivers*) are essentially irrelavant.

*EDIT

What might be relevant is how much time they're gaining throughout their day with updates to their car. But since we've only got their fastest times here - we don't know that. Plus we don't know fuel loads, setup info, tyre state/choice etc etc etc.

e.g. - were I to know that Williams ran without the fin and then ran with it with the exact same setup otherwise and went 15 seconds faster on tht lap - I might be inclined to take that as a significant improvement. There's so much we don't know though and so speculation of this kind is pointless.

It's main purpose is to increase rear end stability under yaw. Note that the version on the FW30 has a little winglet about where the engine cover meets the rear wing.

Williams are also using the R28 inspired bridge wing where the two ends coming from the endpaltes have their own endplates before they cross the nose cone area. This allows the wing either side of the nose cone to be trimmed with more aggressive angle.

Copy cat aero development at it's finest.

Damn it....it's a sad sad day in inter-Tasman relationships when a Kiwi has to agree with an Aussie :P

Which is WHY WHY WHY WHY WHY I keep wondering why Macca are not doing this for Lewis coz his back end is all over the place...and I don't mean in the tabloids :P Either put the bull horns back on, Ron & Co, or at least test the fin...but if you put the dumbo/bunny ears on the nose, I'm coming over to Woking to spank your a##! Ugly frucking things those...like a witches warty nose, them they are!

1 TRU 1:31.360 26

2 PIQ 1:31.634 36

3 DLR 1:32.143 36

4 VET 1:32.480 49

5 MAS 1:33.246 19

6 HEI 1:33.371 30

7 BUE 1:34.064 16

8 FIS 1:34.071 31

9 BUT 1:36.501 16

10 HUL 1:44.741 23

I have to say I could make neither head nor tail of this last test.

Normally they provide some slight indication of the state of play, though people like to deny it, normally when their favourite team/driver is slower than expected.

But this time there was very little info about use of tyres, stint times etc so it's anyones guess.