Clicky

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Schumikonen

Sato To Replace Piquet?

Sato could test for Renault in summer

Friday 16 May at 13:21 : Takuma Sato could find himself back on the formula one tracks in the near future.

Just over a week after expressing his sadness at the collapse of his race employer Super Aguri, the Japanese driver is being linked with a swift return to the limelight.

Rumours were already swirling inside the Istanbul paddock last weekend that the 31-year-old might replace the veteran Rubens Barrichello, whose contract is set to expire, at the works Honda team in 2009.

The slightly less obvious speculation, meanwhile, was reported by the normally authoritative French magazine AutoHebdo, who are linking Sato's predicament with the disappointing performance of Renault rookie Nelson Piquet.

So dissatisfied is Renault with 22-year-old Piquet, AutoHebdo claims, that the French team is considering a shootout test early this summer to decide on his replacement.

Romain Grosjean, the French-Swiss rookie who is a Renault test driver this year, and Super Aguri refugee Sato, are reportedly top of the list for the shootout.

http://www.totalf1.com/fullstory/view/2583...ault_in_summer/

I would like to see him in that team.

Yes please. If Nelson can't get his sh!t together then why not give the seat to someone else.

Sato with a midfield car? think of the possibilities for shenaningans!

j/king- Sato has matured these past 2 years and his driving has been excellent

Recent paddock speculation has also revealed that David Adams is listed to be at McLaren next year, replacing Lewis Hamilton.

Dario AS was the original source of this.

Yes please. If Nelson can't get his sh!t together then why not give the seat to someone else.

Sato? Hell no. About time he was kicked out, no driver has had as many lives as him, or had a whole fake team created solely for him.

Recent paddock speculation has also revealed that David Adams is listed to be at McLaren next year, replacing Lewis Hamilton.

Dario AS was the original source of this.

:lol:

Qualified enough to say how bad is Nando :P , but am not qualified enough to say who deserves the seat etc,

either way, I hope Sato finds a seat in F1 soon.

Sato has grown as a racer during his time at Super Aguri, and I think he'd do well at Renault, but I have always believed that a rookie should at the very least complete one whole season. I would prefer two, but that's not always possible.

Agree with the autumnal pussy cat....he needs at least a season...look at Kovi - s##te start but turned it around in the end. It's in his contract that he gets Nando's hand me downs so what do we really expect of PK?

As for Sato on the grid - he deserves a slot, just as much as anyone else trying to get in. If his manager is smart enough to get him a test drive / shoot out, then good for him. And all the best of luck.

As for Ant...maybe he should jump the puddle and see if he can land an IRL drive - the pay would be far superior to Super Aguri at the very least if he landed in a halfway decent drive.

Wait, wait, wait. Probably NPJr has a number 2 status in Renault. Granted. But to blame his dismal performances so far to his number 2 status is taking things way too far.

I don't think that his contract says anything like "miss every single corner and try never to finish a race higher than P15, if at all". Mike made a very good point when he said that perhaps the cause is that the car has lots of understeer, which suits Nando well but not Piquet. Even so, other drivers have fought such situation (Barrichello at Ferrari, where he struggled all his career to get used to a Schumicentric car, yet he delievered every now and then, team orders permitting).

If Piquet was a little behind Nando, you could play the number 2 status card. Otherwise, you can't.

For the record, I think Piquet has lots of potential, even though I don't know why I think so. I don't want him to be replaced by Sato. I would like to see him succeed. But if he doesn't...bring Grosjean!

Wait, wait, wait. Probably NPJr has a number 2 status in Renault. Granted. But to blame his dismal performances so far to his number 2 status is taking things way too far.

I don't think that his contract says anything like "miss every single corner and try never to finish a race higher than P15, if at all". Mike made a very good point when he said that perhaps the cause is that the car has lots of understeer, which suits Nando well but not Piquet. Even so, other drivers have fought such situation (Barrichello at Ferrari, where he struggled all his career to get used to a Schumicentric car, yet he delievered every now and then, team orders permitting).

If Piquet was a little behind Nando, you could play the number 2 status card. Otherwise, you can't.

For the record, I think Piquet has lots of potential, even though I don't know why I think so. I don't want him to be replaced by Sato. I would like to see him succeed. But if he doesn't...bring Grosjean!

Yes, I agree with you.

Btw, did you get a copy of a magazine named GQ, I don't know if you get in your place, its available in Italy. Last month it had Cameron Diaz on the coverpage. :D

Is Cameron Diaz available for Juniors drive then?

Who cares? Is Cameron Diaz available for me? :drool:

Is Cameron Diaz available for Juniors drive then?

But with current rules, it is difficult for two drivers belonging to different outfits share the same ride.

Davidson deserves the Renault seat more than Sato.

But they both are extremely talanted formula one drivers so they both deserve the opportunity.

Renault must have seen more in Nelshino than just a familiar surname. Dropping him early might be unwise, especially for someone like Sato who isn't going to set the world on fire.

I have always believed that a rookie should at the very least complete one whole season. I would prefer two, but that's not always possible.

I agree.

Piquet should be given time to mature. Sato is nothing special despite his maturing, whereas Grosjean is quite excellent whenever I watch him.

Davidson deserves the Renault seat more than Sato.

But they both are extremely talanted formula one drivers so they both deserve the opportunity.

What we and they deserve is a better F1 management to allow more teams and more more drivers to be on the grid instead of just a couple of cars, had we still have SA in the line up we should not even be talking about which one deserve a seat, there should be a way for us to let FIA and F1 to know about this situation, who knows what talent have we missed because of the bad f1 management that is getting teams away and preventing teams from getting in, taking away potencial new seats for thoses drivers we still want to see in F1 today.

Bernie wants too much money for a new team to even sign on the dotted line as an entrant, let alone make a car or hire a driver.

If F1 is to prosper, the money hungry hobbit has to go, and that isn't going to happen anytime soon...lest not in the next ten years...and then...maybe, natural causes will see him disappear.

Bernie wants too much money for a new team to even sign on the dotted line as an entrant, let alone make a car or hire a driver.

If F1 is to prosper, the money hungry hobbit has to go, and that isn't going to happen anytime soon...lest not in the next ten years...and then...maybe, natural causes will see him disappear.

you mean death??? :huh:

Renault must have seen more in Nelshino than just a familiar surname. Dropping him early might be unwise, especially for someone like Sato who isn't going to set the world on fire.

In the same way that JYS saw something in Jan Magnussen? And I think Taku is very capable of setting things on fire. but flav may not be happy about that.

In the same way that JYS saw something in Jan Magnussen? And I think Taku is very capable of setting things on fire. but flav may not be happy about that.

I realise that drivers who show promise in lower formulas can fall flat on their face in F1 but surely it's all about giving a driver time. Raising question marks over his performance this early on is only going to make him slower because he will be under even more pressure. Look at Nico Rosberg; he started well, finished his first season very averagely bu then stepped up to the plate.

Nelshino has been matching Fernando at certain points of certain sessions. Granted, it's not been at the ones that count yet (ie qualifying and race) but the point is he has raw speed. he hust needs the guidance of how to apply it. I don't rate him, nor do i think he is rubbish, i just want to see him being given ample time.

Time is something Sato has been given plenty of. Once he stopped crashing he didn't do anything handy against Button and his much rated overtake of Alonso, whilst worthy and ballsy was, let's face it, against a crippled car with shagged tyres. Had it not been for his adoring Japanese fans he would have been well down the road by now.

Not only that, but as you are hinting at, i think, if Sato is quicker and more reliable than Nelsinho, won't Fernando just start toy throwing? Flavio is used to hissy fits from pre Madonna girlfriends, he won't want one from Alonso too.