Clicky

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Rainmaster

Bravo Brundle!

Brundle shows pace in FPA race

By Steven English Monday, May 19th 2008, 09:16 GMT

Former grand prix driver Martin Brundle scored three top eight finishes on his racing return in Formula Palmer Audi at Spa-Francorchamps yesterday.

The 48-year-old, who last raced professionally in 2001 at Le Mans, entered the races alongside his 17-year-old son, Alex, who is a front-runner in the championship.

Brundle finished eighth in the first of three races, two places behind his son, but improved with each outing and added seventh and sixth place finishes later in the day - beating Alex in those two races.

"I really enjoyed it," said the ITV F1 commentator. "Considering it's my first FPA race, I'm reasonably satisfied with the result. These young guys are quick."

Quite liked this story, not a bad job by Brundle running towards the front, even managing to finish ahead of his son..

Source

Yup. Brundle is a quick driver. The thing to remember about the old guard is that they've lost none of their skill, only their F1-level reflexes. To even make it into F1 requires a step above the regular sort of saloon car driver so I'd expect F1 folks (even the aged ones) to do well in the other racing disciplines.

Of course there are always exceptions to this, but it's a good general rule.

Well done that man. I'd like to see more of the old timers doing this. Not racing other old timers but mixing it with the young 'uns. and maybe mentoring them.

Well done that man. I'd like to see more of the old timers doing this. Not racing other old timers but mixing it with the young 'uns. and maybe mentoring them.

Indeed Monza. When Schumi has raced in Karts from time to time, I've wondered how the guys he's racing against feel! Perhaps if we had more mentoring we might have more intelligent approaches to the pressures of F1 - and I don't mean just the driving.

I think a guy capable of driving and F1 can drive almost anything with 4 wheels. I rememeber Carlos Reutemann driving a Fiat 131 Abarth Rally at the Argentine WR race (1980) with a special permission from Williams and finishing 3rd. and many other examples.