Clicky

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

ecapdeville

Sven-goran Eriksson To Take Charge Of Mexico

Sven-Goran Eriksson, whose year-long reign as Manchester City manager ended yesterday, was in Mexico last night to tie up a deal to coach the national side, according to local media.

"Sven arrives in Mexico," read a headline in the Mexican sports daily Record (the mexican version of MARCA sports newspaper) yesterday.

The newspaper added that national committee member Jorge Vergara said that Eriksson had already been hired to lead the national side.

The 60-year-old former England manager, who was filmed shortly after his arrival on Sunday night in a hotel in an exclusive area of Mexico City, is expected to be officially unveiled today after meeting with officials.

Eriksson's year in charge of City saw a remarkable turnaround in the fortunes of a club who had spent the previous campaign on the edge of the relegation battle.

City finished the season ninth, but despite the bonus of a place in next season's Uefa Cup via the Fair Play League, the club's owner, former Thai prime minister Thaksin Shinawatra, was not satisfied.

Eriksson is set to replace Mexican football legend Hugo Sanchez, who lost his job in March after Mexcio failed to qualify for the Olympic Games.

Mexican Jesus Ramirez has been in charge since and is expected to lead the side for the last time in a friendly against Argentina on Wednesday in San Diego.

Mexico will then play a friendly against Peru in Chicago on Sunday before beginning qualifiers for the 2010 World Cup against Belize.

Eriksson was in charge of England from 2001 to 2006. The Swede also coached Italian sides Roma, Sampdoria, Fiorentina and Lazio and Portuguese giants Benfica.

-------------------------

:rolleyes:

What do you think? B)

I think I know nothing about football. This must be what it's like when I say anything about F1 to my friends! :D

I think I know nothing about football. This must be what it's like when I say anything about F1 to my friends! :D

and to us... its quite hard to understand you mate!

:lol::lol:

When sven was in charge of England, I did not rate him too highly. I hope he does a better job with Mexico, but I personally do not hold out much hope personally as I always saw him more as a greedy figure than someone that truly cared about football.

I think Sven has done a good job at Man City, I think they will regret sacking him, to be honest.

I too didn't rate him too highly when he was England manager, however, in retrospect he probably wasn't that bad.

@Ecap: I think he will be ok for you. And watch that prediction come back to haunt me! :lol:

Well if you compare him to Steve McLaren, he was excellent, but when you look at what folks like Hoddle and Venables achieved it puts things into perspective.

In all honesty, I felt city started this campaign well, but they also did tail off in form a bit towards the end of the season, although I agree, it doesnt really matter who coaches your team in the modern era if you dont have the spending power to compete with the big clubs

Well if you compare him to Steve McLaren, he was excellent, but when you look at what folks like Hoddle and Venables achieved it puts things into perspective.

In all honesty, I felt city started this campaign well, but they also did tail off in form a bit towards the end of the season, although I agree, it doesnt really matter who coaches your team in the modern era if you dont have the spending power to compete with the big clubs

I didn't mean to imply he was excellent at England, just not as bad as the media made out. I am not sure that Venables and Hoddle achieved much more, but I did like Venables as manager.

They did tail off, but when you look at what they were like the season before, scoring the lowest number of goals at home, then I think he did a reasonable job. Their end of season form wasn't good, but still overall he took them from courting relegation to mid table obscurity and a place in europe, albeit through fair play. I think he said at the start of the season his target was to get them to 10th.

I agree, his job was not bad at all, I suppose it is just a general feeling I got about him. Personally the main reason why I disliked him was because he got England playing defensive football, and England are not a defensive side by nature

I think Capelo is the man England need to be winners again.

@pabloh: I think he will be ok for you. And watch that prediction come back to haunt me! :P

No, seriously he is great. When you need to put a team back on top he is the right man. He did very well in Madrid back in 1996 and last year again.

Wtf? Now when did Eric have a son in Mexico?

:lol: Oh, you'd be surprised. When you've banged the world twice over, a lot of accidents happen...

Anyway, you can always count on one thing: no matter who is in charge, your soccer team will always be better than the US one.

Anyway, you can always count on one thing: no matter who is in charge, your soccer team will always be better than the US one.

Dont be so sure. This is Australia's defence at the moment

Plastic_Traffic_Cones.jpg

Dont be so sure. This is Australia's defence at the moment

Plastic_Traffic_Cones.jpg

:lol: Better than America's

fat%20kid12.jpg

Yes, that is George.