Clicky

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

dribbler

Political Correctness Gone Mad

Brundle remark sparks equality row

09 June 2008 Source; GPupdate.net

ITV commentator Martin Brundle has found himself in the middle of an equality row after a throwaway comment in the frantic build-up to the Canadian Grand Prix on Sunday.

Former driver Brundle was on his usual pre-race grid walk, and interviewing Bernie Ecclestone, whom he asked about the crumbling circuit surface and moves that had been taken to prevent the track breaking up any more before the race.

Brundle's terminology, however, has caused offence as he asked Ecclestone, "There are some pikeys at turn 10 putting tarmac down, what do you think about that?"

The Equality and Human Rights Commission has weighed in and criticised Brundle for his phrasing. ITV has since apologised for any offence caused.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

So did an Irishman with a truck load of tarmac ring in saying "Oi don't fink dats fair orn oos Pikey's" Did any 'tavelling person' seriously get offended? Does a 'travelling person with an excess of tarmac' acknowledge their status as a 'Pikey'? Or, as i suspect, is this some flat chested prude with Marks and Spencer baggy pants, too many lentils in her cupboard and a Smart car on her drive, stirring sh!t just for the sake of it?

I thought it was hilarious, personally.

So did an Irishman with a truck load of tarmac ring in saying "Oi don't fink dats fair orn oos Pikey's" Did any 'tavelling person' seriously get offended? Does a 'travelling person with an excess of tarmac' acknowledge their status as a 'Pikey'? Or, as i suspect, is this some flat chested prude with Marks and Spencer baggy pants, too many lentils in her cupboard and a Smart car on her drive, stirring sh!t just for the sake of it?

Ye bast'd! Oi tek yer remarks quoit seriously as Oi had an Oirish Faaatha!

....and whoilst Oi'm talkin to yez, would ye loike me to quote for redoing yer droiveway?!!! :D

....and whoilst Oi'm talkin to yez, would ye loike me to quote for redoing yer droiveway?!!! :D

Feck orf.

:lol:

And yes, what a ridiculous complaint. I didn't notice it, nor do I know what a Pikey is, but someone seems quite prickly about it all.

I'm sorry guys, I have to disagree with you on this one. Brundle was out of order in making that comment - it was meant in a derogatory sense because he didn't know for sure they were pikeys it was just a term of reference.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pikey

Not good

:nono1:

I thought it was hilarious, personally.

Yes Steve, she's the one with the beard and she lives next door to me. :huh:

Anyway, who knicked the lead off the church roof? :P:P:P

Oh, it is fantastic you don't agree whether pikey is offensive or not. :D

It is fantastic you don't agree with anything he agrees which you agree that you don't agree with anything he agrees, about which we all agree.

Yes Steve, she's the one with the beard and she lives next door to me. :huh:

Anyway, who knicked the lead off the church roof? :P:P:P

Check the bird with the beard. Nothing worse than a closet Pikey pretending to be a green lobbyist. They're everywhere.

It is fantastic you don't agree with anything he agrees which you agree that you don't agree with anything he agrees, about which we all agree.

I agree but...

i) What does 'pikey' mean?

ii) Is it offensive or not?

iii) Or at least can it be offensive or not?

I agree but...

i) What does 'pikey' mean?

ii) Is it offensive or not?

iii) Or at least can it be offensive or not?

1. Person of no fixed abode. Before that it was another name for a gypsy (a gypo :P ) or 'traveller'. An Austin is also a traveller.

2. Not unless you're a touchy s.o.b.

3. Er. not unless you're a touchy s.o.b.

1. Person of no fixed abode. Before that it was another name for a gypsy (a gypo :P ) or 'traveller'. An Austin is also a traveller.

Hope you got your answer Alehop!!!!!!! :P

Thank you.

Errr... One more question if you don't mind...

Are we surrounded by s.o.b's or something?

Hope you got your answer Alehop!!!!!!! :P

Yes, I got it but you are never there when I need you. :huh:

Thank you.

Errr... One more question if you don't mind...

Are we surrounded by s.o.b's or something?

Yes, I got it but you are never there when I need you. :huh:

Are you asking for my hand? You should be asking Paul for that! :P

Are you asking for my hand? You should be asking Paul for that! :P

He told me I should ask Murray... :eusa_think:

An Austin is also a traveller.

An Austin would be a 'Countryman' (that being the extended version of he Austin Mini) A Morris would be a 'Traveller'. The timber on an Austin mini was purely decorative, whereas the solid ash that adorns a Morris Traveller is structural and subject to Ministry of Transport regulations.

Pikey's are ponces with shiny chrome caravans.

I found it more amusing later on when James Allen offered an apology for Alonso's language, after his exit from the race.

Even after listening to him again, I'm still not sure what he said through presumably he uttered a swear word I didn

Yeah I missed what Alonso said too. Allen simply alerted us all to something we'd missed anyway. Personally I find it irritating - censorship's only there to indulge the adults' fantasies of their children, who can probably swear better than Alonso can in English.

Yeah I missed what Alonso said too. Allen simply alerted us all to something we'd missed anyway. Personally I find it irritating - censorship's only there to indulge the adults' fantasies of their children, who can probably swear better than Alonso can in English.

I heard a commentator say Alonso spun out of the race , and later apologized for the mistake after Alonso said it was a gear box issue! :P

That's probably true of where you come from :whistling: