Clicky

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

dribbler

Political Correctness Gone Mad

Here you go, if we're going to bleat about names we can use, things we can or can't say without insulting someone, have a read of this....... [And just to clarify, the point is about the possibility of offending others by things you say about them, including names and descriptions that some might be upset about. My point IS NOT to create another sodding thread about war!!! :P ]

(Souce: BBC http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/entertainment/7445535.stm, my bold)

"Actor Rupert Everett has apologised for branding soldiers "wimps" and saying they were "always whining about the dangers of being killed".

"It's pathetic," the star of My Best Friend's Wedding had told the Sunday Telegraph. "The whole point of being in the Army is wanting to get killed."

But now he insists he did not mean to question the "bravery" of troops.

Everett, whose father is a retired Army major, also said he was sorry for talking "flippantly" about torture.

The British star's statement was intended for the "many in this country - and hundreds and thousands of others across the world - who have lost their brothers and sisters, their fathers and mothers to the wars in Iraq and Afghanistan, and all the countless others".

He said he was trying to make the point that "we still go to war, but actually we haven't the stomach for it".

"It seems to me that embracing war means accepting its underbelly as well, torture and the unspeakable violence that spirals from the battlefield to its surroundings.

"You cannot be politically correct in a war," the 49-year-old added.

"My flippant and irresponsible behaviour arises from a deep frustration at the fact that we seem to be continually making war, dreaming up new ones, instead of doing everything we can to avoid them."

Everett's remarks came as part of an interview to promote Monday night's Channel 4 documentary The Victorian Sex Explorer, about Army officer and adventurer Sir Richard Burton.

They were published on the day when three British soldiers from 2nd Battalion, the Parachute Regiment were killed in a suicide attack in Afghanistan.

Their deaths took the number of British troops killed in Afghanistan since 2001 to 100."

Some might find that offensive...........

Pikey, pikey, pikey, pikey, pikey, pikey, pikey, pikey, pikey, pikey :P

Pikey, pikey, pikey, pikey, pikey, pikey, pikey, pikey, pikey, pikey :P

With butter, and maybe some strawberry jam. Mmmm. Or is that pikelets.

With butter, and maybe some strawberry jam. Mmmm. Or is that pikelets.

That's pikelets monza, and oatmeal with clotted cream. Orgasmic. (but I'm easily pleased :P )

We could make a huge, giant pikelet with strawberry jam 'n cream, then make a road all the way to the top, then race up it. We could call it Pikes Peak?

On thread, I read there were a massive 7 complaints about Brundle's gaffe. Oh dear :o

Pikey is not a racial group, the term is used to describe anyone who lives in a caravan or shares the same values and "culture" of "the travelling community", and whose main sources of income are as follows:

Stealing cars, flogging roses in pubs for "childrens' charities", nicking lead off roofs, burgling garden sheds, blagging entry to old peoples house to rob them, doing dodgy tarmac jobs ("we've got some black stuff left over from a job up the road"), sometimes with mint imperials used as a substitute for white chippings, or, reportedly, using snow to lay slabs on when the sand ran out, stealing your bollocks if they weren't in a bag and anything else that's not nailed down and anything that is nailed down but will fit in the back of an untaxed Transit when nobody's looking.

Characterised by lurchers on a string, a unintelligible language that "isn't English, it isn't Irish, it's just Pikey" (source: Film: Snatch), a penchant for harecoursing, ketamine, lighter fuel, fighting in pubs and shopping at Lidl

http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=pikey

No, sir. One must take one's time with crumpet. And use liberal amounts of butter and strawberry jam.

Useless fact. Nick Mason (yes, he of Ferraris and Floyd) made the world's biggest crumpet.

No, sir. One must take one's time with crumpet. And use liberal amounts of butter and strawberry jam.

Useless fact. Nick Mason (yes, he of Ferraris and Floyd) made the world's biggest crumpet.

Ugh, he humped Fran Fullenwider?

How comfortably dumb.

I heard a commentator say Alonso spun out of the race , and later apologized for the mistake after Alonso said it was a gear box issue! :P

Errrm no. He reported that his gearbox broke down after his spin.When asked about why he had spun,he said it had been his mistake.

You and Fed Up are too bitter because Hamilton is being bashed, take it easy (no offence meant)

You don't know what it's like to be an Alonso fan on TF1... :rolleyes:

Errrm no. He reported that his gearbox broke down after his spin.When asked about why he had spun,he said it had been his mistake.

You and Fed Up are too bitter because Hamilton is being bashed, take it easy (no offence meant)

You don't know what it's like to be an Alonso fan on TF1... :rolleyes:

Where do you see Alonso bashing from me now? :P I was only defending Alonso now! :rolleyes: