Clicky

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

chaide

2010 Drivers (maybe2009)

Senna will get into F1 at some point.

His name will help but I also think he can win GP2 and thus is bound to get at least a test drive.

See above - Senna will test with BMW.

Whatever the lineup next season, we can only hope for one different than the present one.

Why? Just look at our own opinions after each race. We praise Trulli, Sutil, Kubica. In other words, we praise those drivers that are overdriving their seats.

If we look beyond the top teams, Ferrari and McLaren, which team is not doing as much as they can? Should Williams, Red Bull, Renault, or FI be doing poles or podiums? Are those teams being underdriven by their drivers? It's difficult to say... and it's difficult to care. I mean, should Toyota be 4th instead of 5th in the CWC if their drivers were better?

The real problem, and the reason why the quality of the season is gone down the drain, is that the top teams are underdriven... and more so in Ferrari's case (it's true that McLaren can be excused somewhat here). It pains me to say this but Kimi is not up to par and neither is Massa. Ferrari should be storming through and it simply isn't. And let's be honest, McLaren is a goner. It sucks. Even if Kimi, or Massa, or Hamilton were to win the DWC eventually, it would still suck. The only chance we've got right now is for Kubica to clinch it.

And so, I say, we need a different lineup. The top drives should be in the hands of drivers that can make it happen... and these guys don't cut it. We need new guys. All else will turn next season into the same drag to the line, that is, waiting to see who fcks up and who _that_day_ inherits a win.

Whatever the lineup next season, we can only hope for one different than the present one.

Why? Just look at our own opinions after each race. We praise Trulli, Sutil, Kubica. In other words, we praise those drivers that are overdriving their seats.

If we look beyond the top teams, Ferrari and McLaren, which team is not doing as much as they can? Should Williams, Red Bull, Renault, or FI be doing poles or podiums? Are those teams being underdriven by their drivers? It's difficult to say... and it's difficult to care. I mean, should Toyota be 4th instead of 5th in the CWC if their drivers were better?

The real problem, and the reason why the quality of the season is gone down the drain, is that the top teams are underdriven... and more so in Ferrari's case (it's true that McLaren can be excused somewhat here). It pains me to say this but Kimi is not up to par and neither is Massa. Ferrari should be storming through and it simply isn't. And let's be honest, McLaren is a goner. It sucks. Even if Kimi, or Massa, or Hamilton were to win the DWC eventually, it would still suck. The only chance we've got right now is for Kubica to clinch it.

And so, I say, we need a different lineup. The top drives should be in the hands of drivers that can make it happen... and these guys don't cut it. We need new guys. All else will turn next season into the same drag to the line, that is, waiting to see who fcks up and who _that_day_ inherits a win.

What can I say? Your best post so far. Very thought provoking. And you didn't had to use the word "Lewisteric" :P

What can I say? Your best post so far. Very thought provoking. And you didn't had to use the word "Lewisteric" :P

But you did... trick ya!

Whatever medication they have put you on, keep taking it. Nice post.

You don't know it, and even the ones who do won't admit it, but we need Michael. A rogue who is heads and shoulders out front and raising the bar. There is no one currently raising the bar. The grid is apathetic mediocrity.

Hmm, a good post indeed! Well is it the drivers or is the cars? Look at the grids these days, a few tenths separate them all. This season we have had more of a mix of drivers winning/on the podium/scoring points than for a very long time.

Maybe its not that the top drivers are mediocre, more that the increased regulation, engine freezes etc have caused a tighter bunching, more risk of mistakes (e.g. it is easier to spin because of the low grip cars and less chance for overtaking?

I don't think necessarily that the c#ck-ups are getting more frequent either - over time there have been many woeful mistakes - admittedly not on the scale of Mclaren last year :D

The Schumacher era where one driver can get in a car and dominate race after race may be over. I'm not blaming the performance of drivers on cars totally either, the half-term report on Lewis, Fred, Kimi and Felipe does not make for good reading. Kubica had kept his nose clean ( :) ) and is reaping the benefits, but I can't help feeling that the narrowing of the competitive gap has something to do with the seemingly lacklustre performance?..... or maybe I am talking bollocks... :D

Hmm, a good post indeed! Well is it the drivers or is the cars? Look at the grids these days, a few tenths separate them all. This season we have had more of a mix of drivers winning/on the podium/scoring points than for a very long time.

Maybe its not that the top drivers are mediocre, more that the increased regulation, engine freezes etc have caused a tighter bunching, more risk of mistakes (e.g. it is easier to spin because of the low grip cars and less chance for overtaking?

I don't think necessarily that the c#ck-ups are getting more frequent either - over time there have been many woeful mistakes - admittedly not on the scale of Mclaren last year :D

The Schumacher era where one driver can get in a car and dominate race after race may be over. I'm not blaming the performance of drivers on cars totally either, the half-term report on Lewis, Fred, Kimi and Felipe does not make for good reading. Kubica had kept his nose clean ( :) ) and is reaping the benefits, but I can't help feeling that the narrowing of the competitive gap has something to do with the seemingly lacklustre performance?..... or maybe I am talking bollocks... :D

Interesting observation. Personally, i still think there is room for someone to dominate. As maure says, Kimi (in particular) should be running off and hiding. The mistakes are silly and would not have happened in Michael's reign. I rarely wallow in fanboy pride but this season and the fundamental errors are drawing me to compare the current crop with the old man.

How weird :eusa_think:

I thought you were a die hard Alonso fan, at least you were last year. So, you've changed your allegiances to Kubica...hmm..perhaps it's something to do with nando struggling and Kubica on the ascendency. Either way this post is full of inconsistencies and plain bollox - nothing new there I guess.

Lewis, Kimi, Massa, Button, Kubica, Nando, Sutil (monaco) are all over driving their cars as far as I can deduce. The ferrari's should be walking away with it, but you underestimate the challenge of Lewis and the consistency of Kubica, not to mention the evenly matched pairing of Massa and felipe. A clear Ferrari No1 driver, like Michael, would been some distance ahead of the other drivers, but Ferrari currently allow their drivers to race.

While Kubica hasn't made any obvious mistakes so far in 08 he made many in 07 and, F1 is a sport where the drivers are not very far from a c#ck up of any description. Nando & Kimi are very experienced WDC yet have made a number of notable mistakes. Kubica WILL make mistakes so don't bank on it otherwise.

The top drivers are currently in F1 - there are no other drivers out there that could do a better job either now or in the immediate future. F1 is not only about being fast, it is also about car set up, media, pressure and more pressure. History is littered with drivers that were lauded as the next best thing only to bomb at the final hurdle that is F1. Michael Andretti, JPM and Alex Zanardi are recent cases in point . Even Piquet is not as bad as he currently appears to be in F1 - the boy has talent, he's just finding it difficult to harness it in the pressure cooker environment that is F1 - Bruno Senna is being lauded as the next best thing...we'll just have to wait and see, but already expectation is quite high for the youngster

Just my 2p, so please carry on

-_-

Lewis, Kimi, Massa, Button, Kubica, Nando, Sutil (monaco) are all over driving their cars as far as I can deduce. The ferrari's should be walking away with it, but you underestimate the challenge of Lewis and the consistency of Kubica, not to mention the evenly matched pairing of Massa and felipe. A clear Ferrari No1 driver, like Michael, would been some distance ahead of the other drivers, but Ferrari currently allow their drivers to race.

Indeed. They almost operate as one.

I agree that nobody in the top drives is really impressing, but I don't think the picture is quite as bleak as you paint it (or at least I hope not!)

In time, somebody is going to step up and start to dominate. If Kimi can sort out his head, it could be him. Ditto Lewis. If Nando moves to Ferrari it could be him. If BMW come good it could be Kubica. I think the drivers are there, it's just most of the real talent is not developed yet, and the one guy that is (Nando) happens to have been sidelined for this year. I admit to being surprised (and disappointed) in Kimi this year and last, but I don't think this means every driver needs replacing.

F1, as has been said so many times before, is just a question of timing. Soon enough the current maelstrom will organise itself into a heirarchy.

Why are they driving like twats? Here's a quick analysis, sponsored by Guinness;

Lewis? He lost last year. He shouldn't have. He knows he shouldn't have. He's trying too hard. Kimi? He hasn't got the right work ethic, nothing will change. His form will continue to be up and down like a whores draws. Massa? Most improved but still prone to spells of erraticism. Fernando? Frustration, pure and simple, the only one, for me who would deliver solid in a Ferrari.

Oh don't worry about the drivers, they're all just p**sing about until it counts. In the next races they should all be stepping it up, KR did it in France.

You make a point about the cars... except that Kubica is able to be consistent when others aren't. IOW, it is possible to deliver.

Of course, it is not only down to the drivers. For instance, I often wonder how many at Ferrari at sniffing too much glue... glue that they score at McLaren, where we only hear happy hymns even as they hit low after low...

But the drivers in the top teams have an unavoidable responsibility... especially as down the field other drivers are doing their bit. I think it counts since the midfield is the place to fish for new talent... or perhaps, recycle old talent (Webber! Webber! Button!).

How weird :eusa_think:

I thought you were a die hard Alonso fan, at least you were last year. So, you've changed your allegiances to Kubica...hmm..perhaps it's something to do with nando struggling and Kubica on the ascendency. Either way this post is full of inconsistencies and plain bollox - nothing new there I guess.

While Kubica hasn't made any obvious mistakes so far in 08 he made many in 07 and, F1 is a sport where the drivers are not very far from a c#ck up of any description. Nando & Kimi are very experienced WDC yet have made a number of notable mistakes. Kubica WILL make mistakes so don't bank on it otherwise.

The top drivers are currently in F1 - there are no other drivers out there that could do a better job either now or in the immediate future. F1 is not only about being fast, it is also about car set up, media, pressure and more pressure. History is littered with drivers that were lauded as the next best thing only to bomb at the final hurdle that is F1. Michael Andretti, JPM and Alex Zanardi are recent cases in point . Even Piquet is not as bad as he currently appears to be in F1 - the boy has talent, he's just finding it difficult to harness it in the pressure cooker environment that is F1 - Bruno Senna is being lauded as the next best thing...we'll just have to wait and see, but already expectation is quite high for the youngster

Just my 2p, so please carry on

-_-

I've never been a "die hard" of anyone. Doesn't work for me. In regards to Alonso, I've always said that I didn't care much. Me, Kimi. But it is true that I give punishment to the lewisterics (for kicks only, they are the most fanatical today... as Alonsomaniacs were once) and that may have confused you... ultimately, of course, only you know why.

In regards to the rest of your post, it's a pity that you feel that you need to make a fool of yourself. If Hamilton, Kimi, or Massa are overdriving their cars, they may as well quit. Same goes for Alonso, since you are keen. Unless, of course, overdriving for you means the collection of fckups we've seen this season.

I don't call that overdriving. For me, overdriving is getting the car to do better what it does well and forcing the car to do well what it does poorly. IOW, overcoming the shortcomings of the car and building on its qualities. That overdriving is not happening right now in the top teams. Rather, the drivers are behind their cars. I think the Ferrari can do more. I think the McLaren can do a lot more. And while Kubica may fck up in the future, he hasn't yet and we all have the suspicion that he would do better than Kimi, Massa, Hamilton, or Kova if he had those rides. Heck. How many could.

I agree that nobody in the top drives is really impressing, but I don't think the picture is quite as bleak as you paint it (or at least I hope not!)

In time, somebody is going to step up and start to dominate. If Kimi can sort out his head, it could be him. Ditto Lewis. If Nando moves to Ferrari it could be him. If BMW come good it could be Kubica. I think the drivers are there, it's just most of the real talent is not developed yet, and the one guy that is (Nando) happens to have been sidelined for this year. I admit to being surprised (and disappointed) in Kimi this year and last, but I don't think this means every driver needs replacing.

F1, as has been said so many times before, is just a question of timing. Soon enough the current maelstrom will organise itself into a heirarchy.

We had a competition once. We had it three years ago, and two years ago, and last year too. Is it too much too ask to have at least two drivers able to push all weekend and may the best man win? I don't think so.

But I wouldn't say things are bleak. I think we all feel the drop in quality in the competition. There are only 20 drives in the field and only 4 that count. You spent years (I know I have) hoping that a particular driver gets the chance... and now this. Fine. Move aside Kimi, give the seat to someone hungry. It's what we all want anyway. Heck, it's a pity that Hamilton is burning out and it doesn't help that I've been warning this may happen for months. But, move aside man. Shouldn't McLaren stop saying everything is fine and get on with the job? No wonder BMW is all the way up their arses...

But I wouldn't say things are bleak. I think we all feel the drop in quality in the competition. There are only 20 drives in the field and only 4 that count. You spent years (I know I have) hoping that a particular driver gets the chance... and now this. Fine. Move aside Kimi, give the seat to someone hungry. It's what we all want anyway. Heck, it's a pity that Hamilton is burning out and it doesn't help that I've been warning this may happen for months. But, move aside man. Shouldn't McLaren stop saying everything is fine and get on with the job? No wonder BMW is all the way up their arses...

Indeed.

I hate to say it, but I'm sort of hoping Massa wins this year- just to give Kimi a kick up the a##.

Indeed.

I hate to say it, but I'm sort of hoping Massa wins this year- just to give Kimi a kick up the a##.

That got me smiling... damn it!

The issue, though, is the lineups for next season... and there are not that many choices. Team-wise, McLaren is out... they are radioactive for any driver with any chance. Kimi and Alonso lived there and took off to never ever, ever come back. Massa and Kubica would be better off committing ritual suicide than taking on McLaren's "equality".

That leaves only two teams. Ferrari and BMW. Ferrari shouldn't be struggling but it is. It makes sense to get on board drivers that can be consistent and, at least, drive the machine to its potential (which should be enough) and that means, no rookies and no chances. BMW is on a different place because they are not winners yet. They need guys that can drive beyond the potential of their cars. So they either decide to wait a season or two more to get the winning car or they gotta invest in proven talent to overcome the deficit... which is a huge problem. Why?

Because the driver market is fcked up. Kimi and Hamilton are in the right seats but have become questionable... and, beyond these two, no drivers exemplify the problem better than Kubica and Alonso. Kubica is not a proven bet yet (better off, yes, but in similar situation to many in the field) while Alonso may not be a certain bet anymore. And here comes the kicker. Kubica is dirt cheap while Alonso is way too expensive. Gotta wonder if salaries will not be the final decider... in any case, though, Ferrari and BMW will be calling the shots and both will be wondering which driver gives better chances... the cheap or the expensive...

The alternative is to languish another season and McLaren seems to be the only team happy to do that... so far.

Bah, drivers, drivers, drivers ... that's all everyone cares about.

What a stupid retarded series F1 has become.

You work with what you have, buddy.

But, sure. I would also like to see a profound change in regulations... which reminds me, what's your take on the proposed F2? Don't pull your punches now.

Bah, drivers, drivers, drivers ... that's all everyone cares about.

What a stupid retarded series F1 has become.

Okay then. Let's blame the cars. The spin from the Finn down under was purely the cars fault. It should have had four wheeled steering. Maranelo should have designed an 'anti-erratic' button by now for when Felipe is feeling feisty. It's simply too primitive to expect him to drive it without losing the back end.

The McLaren should be fitted with a device similar to the anti-stall, called 'anti-crash'. It works by determining the creed and colour of the driver, weighing in the influences of family members and factoring the colour of the car in front of it. Once it has weighed up all these paremeters, it should be able to automatically stop its driver crashing. It will then spit out oil over anyone from the press, automatically hide up illegal components by using servo controlled panels and metamorphosize into a prostitute that can then publicly seduce whoever it chooses.

All cars should be fitted with an automatic arse wiper.

Why all these things aren't happening is simply ridiculous. Those poor under payed souls are being made to look silly.

That got me smiling... damn it!

The issue, though, is the lineups for next season... and there are not that many choices. Team-wise, McLaren is out... they are radioactive for any driver with any chance. Kimi and Alonso lived there and took off to never ever, ever come back. Massa and Kubica would be better off committing ritual suicide than taking on McLaren's "equality".

etc

The driver market all hinges around whether Kimi retires or not. Ferrari will win the DWC and CWC this year, so there's no incentive for them to change their lineup. Neither McLaren nor BMW have any incentive to change, as there aren't really any better options in the field. There will be the usual shuffle amongst the lower orders, but nothing spectacular for a while.

The driver market all hinges around whether Kimi retires or not. Ferrari will win the DWC and CWC this year, so there's no incentive for them to change their lineup. Neither McLaren nor BMW have any incentive to change, as there aren't really any better options in the field. There will be the usual shuffle amongst the lower orders, but nothing spectacular for a while.

McLaren are improving. I thought it would be a red wash but now i'm not so sure. One should never predict the outcome of a season until it's really looking over. Lewis could win it. If he does, Ferrari will ask Alonso sized questions about Kimi and Felipe.

Ah, bollocks, what am i talking about. It is over.