Clicky

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Rainmaster

Silverstone Scrapped In Favour Of Donington?

Silverstone must have some elevation change, there's a bit of a hill climb from club to farm, then a dip under the bridge. Never mind this if you were just joking lol.

I actually came on here to say something else, but I've forgotten what it was!

I just dont see while Bernie is spending all his money on new tracks in exotic locations that the real fans of F1 cannot get to why he just doesn't build a brand new circuit right here in England.

I'd be p**sed if Silverstone got taken off the calendar as its only a ten minute drive from where I live, but a brand spanking new up to date circuit would be brilliant. He could even build it in Scotland if he likes. (I love the scots by the way.... don't hurt me!) :lol:

But - why do we NEED more circuits? The new ones will just be as cold and spectator unfriendly as Silverstone, Turkey, China, Bahrain etc etc etc. The excellent action, fan friendly "old" tracks will be booted off in favour of the new ones, just because people will stop updating the old tracks. Look at the F1 calander for 2010 - India, Dubai, Singapore, Korea all confirmed... and look at the ones unconfirmed - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/F1_2010

The same goes for 2011, but with even more "traditional F1" circuits unconfirmed - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/F1_2011

Also - in cas eyou haven't noticed, Bernie doesn't really care much about fans, when there are marketing opportunities to be had. He threatens to get rid of the British GP every year - but why? Every other series manages fine at Silverstone, what makes F1 so special as to demand so much, from a circuit that is hardly in ruins!

But - why do we NEED more circuits? The new ones will just be as cold and spectator unfriendly as Silverstone, Turkey, China, Bahrain etc etc etc. The excellent action, fan friendly "old" tracks will be booted off in favour of the new ones, just because people will stop updating the old tracks. Look at the F1 calander for 2010 - India, Dubai, Singapore, Korea all confirmed... and look at the ones unconfirmed - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/F1_2010

The same goes for 2011, but with even more "traditional F1" circuits unconfirmed - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/F1_2011

Also - in cas eyou haven't noticed, Bernie doesn't really care much about fans, when there are marketing opportunities to be had. He threatens to get rid of the British GP every year - but why? Every other series manages fine at Silverstone, what makes F1 so special as to demand so much, from a circuit that is hardly in ruins!

Yeah, I think we should just try to improve what we've got. The fact is, they bring in over 100k fans to Silverstone every year, so why ditch it? I actually watched Silverstone last year (it was on tape delay), and it was a solid race with Massa overtaking the hell out of everyone, and watching the cars go through some of those turns reminded me why I started watching F1 in the first place. It's not a terrible track or a terrible race. It's decent. I think you can't argue any track is boring until F1 comes up with a more entertaining formula. Then we'll see what tracks are dull.

I'm all for expanding into new markets, but I don't think we should just turn our backs on the current ones. The fact is, F1 became what it was because of European races, and therefore European fans. Telling those fans to **** off just because some guy in Saudi Arabia has a couple billion dollars from selling oil isn't cool. However, I will say this: the loss of a few European Grands Prix doesn't bother me too too much. I think the UK NEEDS a GP, but races in continental Europe are a little different. Remember that continental Europe is around the same size as the United States of America. We had one GP, close to the middle of the nation, and people still came from way out in California on the west and way out in Florida on the east. The point I'm making is that if they took away one or two Grands Prix in continental Europe, you'd still have something like 7, and if you're not willing to travel a couple hours to a neighboring country, you're not passionate about F1.

Then again, I guess it is a lot to ask to pay to travel when you already get charged $400/ticket just to see one or two corners.

You do have some fair points, and I do see your view. However, if Bernie and his team of merry men are going to be building circuits in far off places that most people cannot even spell, why not build a new circuit right here? It makes sense to me.

The BRDC are hardly going to put their hands in their pockets either. Its an old boys club with a get together over 70's bingo evening where they listen to Vera Lynn all night. Was it wise heading Damon Hill as its president? Who knows.

At the end of the day, Bernie and the BRDC need to sit down, work out what is needed and go for it. If he wants to scrap it, fair enough. But at least give us a new race circuit too.

NO!!!!!!! I hate Donington, it's a crap circuit with too many fast blind corners! Can't Bernie be happy now that he has all the money he could want & stop ruining F1???

i agree bernie has more money than god so he should crawl away somewhere and spend some of our money or pay for some therapy for max mosley