Clicky

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

5P33D3V1L

Finally! He Scores His First Points...

Abit late I know but havent had the chance to get on a computer lately.

But Nelson Piquet Jnr finally scores his first points in F1.

Maybe this could be the start of him proving me wrong and showing that he's actually not a bad driver?

or this could of been a one off and he's still a waste off space at Renault?

Hmm I dunno, I think he did have a test at Magny-Cours and he already knew the track anyway so it could be a one-off. But it does show he has something so it does a lot for his chances of keeping his drive, a few more like that and he'll be fine. I actually think that from now on he'll start driving better because of the confidence boost, he certainly handled the pressure from Renault very well. Congrats to him!

The jury is out. But at least he is being given time. That's all he needs at the moment.

Did anyone else notice Permaine on the prat perch in Q3? Piquet was there with him. When Alan saw the cameras he went out of his way to make sure he was heard praising Nelson for his qualifying effort. It demonstrated that the team are doing their damndest to give the lad all the breathing space he needs, and publicly.

There are better drivers out there than Piquet! His 1st points after a season of so far f*** ups! Compare him to Alonso & you'll no what I mean!

So tell me how his first half season compares worse or better than Kovi's in the exact same team then? How do y'all rate Kovi now?

Give him a break....he's had a car that has broken on it's own accord in a few races, and he's been racing on tracks he hasn't known up to now for the most part.

A few points will give him the confidence to think he can get inside the top 8 a few more times. Freddy is driving the car above where it should be able to place, but obv. his pace in qual was a glory run for the Renault bosses, and PK is actually driving the car at its true level of competitiveness. Face it, the cars a labrador....can run fast when it wants, but would rather chow down at the food bowl, unlike the 4RE which is a whippet.

He just needs to get the car to the line a bit more often. He's driving OK, but maybe not quite as consistently as Naka's, who is probably who we should be judging his talent and worth against. The Willy's and the ReKnows are about par for performance, so a reasonable guide.

So tell me how his first half season compares worse or better than Kovi's in the exact same team then?

I think it's fair to say that Kovi's first half of the season was better than Piquet's: Kovi had finished on points four times by this stage last season, best results being 4th in Canada and 5th in USA, for a total of 12 points. He collected his first points already in his second gp (iirc).

Nevertheless, I don't think one can rule Piquet out yet anyway, I believe he is a much better driver than his results so far imply.

Piquet will win championship before Kovy is all i am going to say on the subject. Another question is will either of them win it altough :P Kovy had far easier time last season, it is far simpler to be compared to Fisichella than Alonso. Also it is far easier to have first season with TC and great car like Lewis did. Same applies to lesser degree also to Kovy, Renault was not as good of course as Mclaren last season either.

Hmm I dunno, I think he did have a test at Magny-Cours and he already knew the track anyway so it could be a one-off. But it does show he has something so it does a lot for his chances of keeping his drive, a few more like that and he'll be fine. I actually think that from now on he'll start driving better because of the confidence boost, he certainly handled the pressure from Renault very well. Congrats to him!

I would agree in saying that he has handled himself well given the pressure he has been under.

I still don't rate him.

So tell me how his first half season compares worse or better than Kovi's in the exact same team then? How do y'all rate Kovi now?

Give him a break....he's had a car that has broken on it's own accord in a few races, and he's been racing on tracks he hasn't known up to now for the most part.

A few points will give him the confidence to think he can get inside the top 8 a few more times. Freddy is driving the car above where it should be able to place, but obv. his pace in qual was a glory run for the Renault bosses, and PK is actually driving the car at its true level of competitiveness. Face it, the cars a labrador....can run fast when it wants, but would rather chow down at the food bowl, unlike the 4RE which is a whippet.

He just needs to get the car to the line a bit more often. He's driving OK, but maybe not quite as consistently as Naka's, who is probably who we should be judging his talent and worth against. The Willy's and the ReKnows are about par for performance, so a reasonable guide.

Agree, it was this time last year Nelsinho sat on the Renault prat perch at Silverstone, shaking his head at Heikki when the same pressure was on Heikki to perform. If Nelsinho cannot do a Heikki like second half of the season then its goodbye son you had your chance.

Heikki was nowhere near as bad as NPJ at this stage:

HK had 10-8-9-7-13-4-5-15 by this point.

NPJ has had Ret-11-Ret-Ret-15-Ret-Ret-7, with only one of the retirements being a mechanical failure.

He needs another points finish at Silverstone or he's finished.

After spinning out of the British GP and on course for alot of points maybe a podium.

Maybe Renault are looking at the driver market alot closer than before.

Piquet gone after this season. In maybe Vettel?

Who is Renault going to have after this season?! Alonso gone no doubt and Piquet is a waste of space.

Looks like they have Sato and Davidson next season :P

It was almost a guarantee Piquet couldn't keep the car on the track when the showers came. But he did drive allright for the first half of the race. If he can stay at this level, he should have no problems keeping his seat.

If someone leaves Renault at the end of the season, it would be a great oppoturnity for Nico. He has a lot better chance to succeed at Renault than at Williams.

I'm pretty sure Vettel has a contract for next season with Red Bull already.

Piquet isn't going to get fired for this performance, who didn't crash/have an off/spin?

He is actually getting closer to Alonso, in practice and quali, and in France managed to beat him, getting rid of him would be a mistake.

Why are you so sure about that? Do you have some inside information directly from Briatore? If you do, good for you, if not you should at least elaborate a little better your especulations, because i really don

Flavio found Schumi and Alonso. Patience is not one of his strongest points so he keeps Piquet either because: a) money or B) he believes in Nelsinho.

If a) then they won't replace NPJr. Renault's expenses have been growing badly lately.

If B) then they shouldn't replace him, either. When Flabby replaced Button with Alonso he said that time would tell. I tend to have some confidence on Flabby's scouting skills since then.

After spinning out of the British GP and on course for alot of points maybe a podium.

Maybe Renault are looking at the driver market alot closer than before.

Frank Williams always says he prefers a driver to crah out going fast than see one cruise and collect. There was nothing wrong with Piquet's speed. He's learning very fast now.

Piquet isn't going to get fired for this performance, who didn't crash/have an off/spin?

He is actually getting closer to Alonso, in practice and quali, and in France managed to beat him, getting rid of him would be a mistake.

Absolutely.

Piquet spun again, but at least this time he was for the 2nd time in a row within a shout of getting points which made me have mixed feelings cos he spun once again but feel a bit sorry for him cos he could've gotten another few points! Maybe he might just be getting used to his R28 after all!