Clicky

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

5P33D3V1L

Finally! He Scores His First Points...

Piquet isn't going to get fired for this performance, who didn't crash/have an off/spin?

He is actually getting closer to Alonso, in practice and quali, and in France managed to beat him, getting rid of him would be a mistake.

Yeah. He has been steadily improving. I still don't think he'll ever amount to anything, but he's not in Ide's league any more. He out-performed Nando in France, and in Q3 at Silverstone he was about 0.45s/lap slower than Nando with 2 laps more fuel, which I would guess translates to about 0.3s/lap slower on the same strategy. And if we were to guess that Flabio doesn't offer an equal opportunities policy for his drivers, then he'd be doing less bad again. Still, this isn't anything to shout about.

By GP2 standards this is the guy who should have taken on Hamilton.

With spec-cars you get spec-drivers as in drivers adapted to certain parameters (weight distribution, aero balance, tire grip, slip angles, engine drivebility) that have a hard time (impossible for some) to adapt.

but he's not in Ide's league any more.
Piquet was never in Ide's league, I'm probably a better driver than Ide :lol: !

You're probably right, Danny. I just like teasing Nelsinho.

By GP2 standards this is the guy who should have taken on Hamilton.

With spec-cars you get spec-drivers as in drivers adapted to certain parameters (weight distribution, aero balance, tire grip, slip angles, engine drivebility) that have a hard time (impossible for some) to adapt.

Hamilton was clearly the better driver in GP2 - he beat him by a comfortable margin in the end despite having much less experience, and despite being in a different team (ie it wasn't the kind of specing I'd like to see). I do wonder whether NPJr is getting a fair chance at Renault, and like I said, he is improving slowly. Also spec cars don't have to be fixed to a particular aero balance, weight distribution etc; and conversely F1 drivers can't easily change an engine's drivability or tyre grip.

I think NP had a hard start in F1 but the R28 was nearly undriveable for the first few races. Then the car improved but the guy improved much more than the car. Now he is not too far from FA and is getting even closer. I think it is great for the whole team, even for FA.

You're probably right, Danny. I just like teasing Nelsinho.

Hamilton was clearly the better driver in GP2 - he beat him by a comfortable margin in the end despite having much less experience, and despite being in a different team (ie it wasn't the kind of specing I'd like to see). I do wonder whether NPJr is getting a fair chance at Renault, and like I said, he is improving slowly. Also spec cars don't have to be fixed to a particular aero balance, weight distribution etc; and conversely F1 drivers can't easily change an engine's drivability or tyre grip.

Spec cars will be fixed to relative similar aero balance and weight distribution due to the spec tires.

As Colin Chapman once put it "first we start with the tires"; thus the suspension geometry/layout + aero balance + weight distribution "follow the tires" (to bring them and maintain into temperature, make them bite, control their degradation) ever since the 1970 Lotus 72.

It won't change anything because F1 already has spec tyres, and even when we had a tyre war the drivers had no say in their tyres, whose properties were largely determined by the regulations.

And we do have a range of spec tyres for them to use, which could be broadened if we wish. But ultimately, drivers should be able to adapt too.

And we do have a range of spec tyres for them to use, which could be broadened if we wish. But ultimately, drivers should be able to adapt too.

I think drivers should be able to adapt by picking the best compounds for their car/driving/track balance.

I think drivers should be able to adapt by picking the best compounds for their car/driving/track balance.
I still like my original idea of filling them with custard. That would sort the men out from the boys :)

Would get squelchy in the race suits though.

The tyres, not the drivers!!! :)

Mind you, now there's an idea - bend over Fernando, incoming! 5 pints of Ambrosia.... :) (Oh no, what might I have started?) :o:)

Bet you can't say 'Ambrosia enema' 51 times really fast without spittle dribbling down yer shirt.

ambrosia enema ambrosia enema ambrosiar enemay ambrosiar enemay amlbrosiar enemay albrosyer enemay albonsyer enemay alonsyers enemy alonsos yer enemy.......... Bugger, it was a Hamilton family party-trick anyway :P

Abit late I know but havent had the chance to get on a computer lately.

But Nelson Piquet Jnr finally scores his first points in F1.

Maybe this could be the start of him proving me wrong and showing that he's actually not a bad driver?

or this could of been a one off and he's still a waste off space at Renault?

We'll see. Renault sucks so much at present that it's impossible to tell.

OTOH, Piquet _jr_ is the next MS and perhaps even the best driver in F1... or is the position already taken?

[quote name='Meanioni' post='259807' date='Jul 14 2008, 07:03 PM']I still like my original idea of filling them with custard. :) [/quote]
Why not whale farts for that. :eusa_think:

It could be another good research. :unsure:

There's only 2 compounds both compulsive. True choice would mean a dozen plus compounds.

There's no reason you couldn't have a choice of spec tyres - that is, tyres provided for all drivers to choose from freely at each race. But what happens in a tyre war is that the team will commit to a tyre supplier and that choice determines the outcome of most races. That makes the playing field less level for drivers. I know you don't care about such things, but for those of us who want to see drivers compete, rather than teams of boffins competing, tyre wars are a bad thing.

They should be able to get used to new compounds by altering their driving style; but yes there's something to be said for giving the drivers free choice from a range of compounds. What is important imho is that the drivers get a free choice, whereas what usually happens is that the team will pick one set for the whole season, and that choice will determine the outcome of most races, taking away from the drivers' input.

The free choice imo would be:

Bridgestone soft on left front, Michelin hards on both rear wheels and Pirelli medium on right frot. :D

However this would not necesarily ensure that the best driver would win, as before computers it was a guessing game (with the best guesser winning not the best driver) wheareas today it's about supercomputer simulations vs. promt dumb luck choice.

And if it will be a close championship there will speaches like "it's so close the technical glitches will make the difference" witch is true and exactly what happened in the old days. And if that won't be enough there will be fuel issues or incident issues where some driver makes a mistake and takes out more than half of grid.

And that there some dumbass stewarts decisions.

Unless you can guarantee 100% reliability + 100% equality of pace + 100% lucky guess for the best driver + 100% luck to avoid getting entangled in a unfortunate incident there's no way shape or form to ensure the best will win.

Unless you're talking about some modified ghost cars Grand Turismo or GPL championships.

That just how racing is, there isn't any problem as long as you accept that whomever crosses the finish line first is the winner.

Unless you can guarantee 100% reliability + 100% equality of pace + 100% lucky guess for the best driver + 100% luck to avoid getting entangled in a unfortunate incident there's no way shape or form to ensure the best will win.

Nope. We only have to ensure that reliability/luck/equipment averages out equally over the season for each driver, which is quite easy to do if you get rid of the teams.

This is the same principle that almost every other sport adopts, eg in football/rugby/tennis they change ends periodically to make it fair on average.

What's with all this fair nonsense ?!

The driver is one (2 per team) while the (rest of the) team is about 1000 people ?!

I don't find it "fair" to put the one person (the driver) ahead of the hard work of 1000 people. If those 1000 people did a better job that other 1000 people (a.k.a. making a better car and/or better strategies) they should RIP THE REWARDS.

I personally find these drivers fanboys a bunch of blind selfish idiots for I find much more important the work of (the rest of) team then of the one driver (or two).

I said it before and I'll repeat it again motor-sport is NOT driver-(cult)-sport, never was and never should be, it's a team sport.

What's with all this fair nonsense ?!

The driver is one (2 per team) while the (rest of the) team is about 1000 people ?!

I don't find it "fair" to put the one person (the driver) ahead of the hard work of 1000 people. If those 1000 people did a better job that other 1000 people (a.k.a. making a better car and/or better strategies) they should RIP THE REWARDS.

I personally find these drivers fanboys a bunch of blind selfish idiots for I find much more important the work of (the rest of) team then of the one driver (or two).

I said it before and I'll repeat it again motor-sport is NOT driver-(cult)-sport, never was and never should be, it's a team sport.

The work of the teams is of very little importance in the grand scheme of things. Plus they aren't even particularly good at what they do.

Murrold, I'm still not sure why you persist on this crusade! Why is there no room for a team sport in motor racing when there are already plenty of spec series around for you to watch? What do you get out of Formula One that you don't out of other series?