Clicky

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Alesi

Tobacco Advertising In Motorsport

I'm doing a research paper on this. I know that Philip Morris has a deal with Ferrari to advertise Marlboro for a few more years, however PM does not run the logos anymore even in countries where tobacco advertising is legal, Bahrain, Monaco and China. Can any of you Americans tell me what is still legal in the US? I think I saw the Marlboro logo when I watched the Indy 500 and I have seen the Newport and KOOL brands advertised in American magazines recently, but I've been told it is illegal now?? What is still left in Moto GP for anyone who watches it?

I'm doing a research paper on this. I know that Philip Morris has a deal with Ferrari to advertise Marlboro for a few more years, however PM does not run the logos anymore even in countries where tobacco advertising is legal, Bahrain, Monaco and China. Can any of you Americans tell me what is still legal in the US? I think I saw the Marlboro logo when I watched the Indy 500 and I have seen the Newport and KOOL brands advertised in American magazines recently, but I've been told it is illegal now?? What is still left in Moto GP for anyone who watches it?

Could anyone kindly help this guy out in research? Sorry Alesi, I really don't know, wish I could help you out.

It's not legal I think in the US anymore. Penske had to take Marlboro off of his cars after 2006, so I'm not sure if there's any tobacco advertising still in the US.

I know as of a month ago it was still legal to advertise tobacco in magazines (last month's "Wired" had a cig advert in it).

Fairly sure on TV it's now banned (which I think is a bunch of crap, but that's another story).

Can't help with the questions, but I got a question of my own. Why doesn't any country ban manufacture of cigarettes since it kills?

Because people have to take responsibility for themselves once in a while and stop blaming everyone else for their own failings :rolleyes: .

Because people have to take responsibility for themselves once in a while and stop blaming everyone else for their own failings :rolleyes: .

:lol: yeah, I guess junk food too would have to be banned if the "killing" logic is taken.

On 2nd thoughts, it's better that it's not banned...at least in India. It's good that cigarettes try to keep the population down in 2 ways. One is death & the other is impotence.

Why doesn't any country ban manufacture of cigarettes since it kills?

Because they go great with a pint and although you may deny it, smoking is f*cking cool. I stopped ten years ago. I'm healthy but so uncool.

Because they go great with a pint and although you may deny it, smoking is f*cking cool. I stopped ten years ago. I'm healthy but so uncool.

Agreed that it looks cool, especially the way one lights up. The Marlboro man sure died an uncool death, though.

Can't help with the questions, but I got a question of my own. Why doesn't any country ban manufacture of cigarettes since it kills?

:lol: come to Italy man!

:lol: yeah, I guess junk food too would have to be banned if the "killing" logic is taken.

Comit suicide is not bad for other peoples health... I wish smokers could "eat" all of its "smoke" inside until they blows...

hate smokers. <_<

Comit suicide is not bad for other peoples health... I wish smokers could "eat" all of its "smoke" inside until they blows...

hate smokers. <_<

Hear, hear!

it's interesting that if you use historic GP cars for a pre race feature, you can have the tobacco sponsorship whacked all over your screen!

Did the Fonz smoke?? I rest my case :lol:

it's interesting that if you use historic GP cars for a pre race feature, you can have the tobacco sponsorship whacked all over your screen!

Good point!

Actually, the fact that you can have somebody smoking in a programme sort of makes a mockery of banning the advertisement of it, I guess. :eusa_think:

I do miss those Hamlet adverts................. :lol:

The Fonz was in no way cool. He was some TV writer's idea of what "the kids" would think was cool.

Dribbler's right I'm afraid.

http://www.theonion.com/content/node/30418

Go and wash you mouth out with soap and water, heathen! :lol:

Anyone who thinks smoking is cool is way, way delusional. Only a handful of people can be cool whilst smoking and they would be cool anyway, the rest just look like gimboids :whistling::eekout:

Anyone who thinks smoking is cool is way, way delusional. Only a handful of people can be cool whilst smoking and they would be cool anyway, the rest just look like gimboids :whistling::eekout:

Damn it i'm going to prove my point. Look at this photo of me form some years back, Paul. Now, if i hadn't got that cool cancer stick hanging from my gob i would just look like a twat in a field annoying campers with my guitar. As it is, said fag gives me instant kudos, What you can't see in the picture is the group of people running toward me. Seconds after this was taken i was literally flattened. Although i had broken ribs and several bruises, i'm sure it was just over excitement from the joy i was spreading around the camp site with my music. I can't help it if i have a gift.

There, case proved.

Cornwall06066.jpg

I started smoking when I was 9. Yep, 9.

I'm now 31, and have not smoked for 4 weeks on Monday.

I didn't smoke for six years once. Then after my seventh birthday.......

Damn it i'm going to prove my point. Look at this photo of me form some years back, Paul. Now, if i hadn't got that cool cancer stick hanging from my gob i would just look like a twat in a field annoying campers with my guitar. As it is, said fag gives me instant kudos, What you can't see in the picture is the group of people running toward me. Seconds after this was taken i was literally flattened. Although i had broken ribs and several bruises, i'm sure it was just over excitement from the joy i was spreading around the camp site with my music. I can't help it if i have a gift.

There, case proved.

Cornwall06066.jpg

I stand corrected :lol:

Well, with all the money you save from not smoking, you may be able to save up and by yourself a spine :whistling::lol:

Nah, but seriously, keep up the good work.

:lol:

:lol::lol::lol: Its true! I was nine. What else did you expect? I'm a scouser remember... :lol:

Well, with all the money you save from not smoking, you may be able to save up and by yourself a spine

:onefinger: I can't. Murray stole it to pay for his boot fetish. :lol:

Well, with all the money you save from not smoking, you may be able to save up and by yourself a spine :whistling::lol:

That's another thing which makes it cool- you can't look cool by saving money!

It's why cocaine is cooler than meth :rolleyes:

That's another thing which makes it cool- you can't look cool by saving money!

It's why cocaine is cooler than meth :rolleyes:

Yep, keep telling yourself that!! :lol: