Clicky

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Quiet One

Ok, I'm Officially Bored

Ancient Eclipse Found in "The Odyssey," Scientists Say

Richard A. Lovett

for National Geographic News

June 23, 2008

"The sun has perished out of heaven, and an evil mist has overspread the world."

With those words in The Odyssey, Homer laid down not a prophecy of doom but a description of a real-world total solar eclipse, scientific sleuths announced today.

It has been known for decades that there was only one such eclipse during the time period Homer wrote about in the ancient Greek poem

And what does this have to do with Fernando Alonso's bushy eyebrows? Huh? Huh? Huh? Huh?

And what does this have to do with Fernando Alonso's bushy eyebrows? Huh? Huh? Huh? Huh?

dandrufs? :huh:

Be polite guys! There are tough days in our country... someone called it stress... or maybe he turned completely mad, as we always supected...whatever...WE LOVE YOU ANDRES!... and take a holiday!

:lol: Yeah everyone loves Andres.... he's so easy (to wind up)!

I did enjoy this, Andres, thanks very much! I'm having a look at Magnasco's website. He's done some other cool things, like breaking birdsong down into a common set of syllables and making a mathematical model of the human ear! Applying physics to biology like that is something I think is interesting and will probably become more and more important. I might think about going into that area myself, probably my work will never come to the attention of NatGeo readers though, alas!

You reminded me of an article I read a few days ago about an astronomer who's well-known for trying to add insight to history and literature through astronomical dating. He proposed new dates for the battle of Marathon, Julius Caesar's landing in Britain and Van Gogh paintings. For one painting, he can even tell you the exact day and hour that the painting was started! Also, on the literature front, he uncovered astronomical references in Shakespeare and Chaucer.

:lol: Yeah everyone loves Andres.... he's so easy (to wind up)!

You have to wind him up????

That's where I went wrong, I spent ages looking for the batteries :dam:

I thought he was pulling a fast one when he said I had to twist his bollocks to wind him up. There was no way I was falling for that one again.

Ancient Eclipse Found in "The Odyssey," Scientists Say

Richard A. Lovett

for National Geographic News

June 23, 2008

Jerry Oltion, a telescope maker, amateur astronomer, and science fiction writer from Eugene, Oregon, finds the astronomical reasoning "fairly sound."

From an artistic standpoint, he doubts Homer ever saw an eclipse himself

You have to wind him up????

That's where I went wrong, I spent ages looking for the batteries :dam:

I thought he was pulling a fast one when he said I had to twist his bollocks to wind him up. There was no way I was falling for that one again.

Maybe you need to wind him up clockwise rather than anti clockwise....

Or maybe Andres winding also changes when he is in the southern hemisphere and northern hemisphere... :unsure: