Clicky

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

AleHop

Silverstone: Practice, Qualy, Race, Bashing, Swearing, Etc.

Vettel 8th in first practice and 6th in 2nd practice.

He's looking pretty quick round here :D

He's got to take Coulthard places next season or a seat at a more competitive team surely!

Yep the boy is rapid.

What happened to the Great Brit who by the British media is tipped to beat Schumacher's records?

I guess he answered your question today? :)

Webber was fantastic, I didn't expect it at all, and Kovi on pole is great, I like him a lot :)

I'm really looking forward to the race tomorrow!

This time you said exactly what I thought :)

I am really wanting to see what Kubi can do from 10th.

Also, don't for get Vettle is 8th, now thats a good result, seeing as how he will probably partner Mark next year I cant wait to see how that internal battle will go

Webber + Vettel is a super strong line-up!

Hamilton was mighty off the line. More mighty in light of the pressure, expectation and recent mistakes. Great to watch, brilliant discipline and big balls by Heikki to come back at him. Scary close. Wow.

Mark wasted an opportunity with his early spin but as he said before the start he would only have been racing the Renault's anyway. Great qualifying.

I like the irony of the Coulthard-Vettel incident; Seb' has nudged DC out of Red Bull, DC gave him a nudge back.

Alonso was mighty early on, he revelled in the tricky conditions. He showed his class.

Great to see Kimi and Lewis finally going wheel to wheel, it should be like this, between these two, all the time. We have had no Michael-Mika, Prost-Senna clash of the titans for a while. We need it.

Kimi's strategy was a nonsense. Staying out on worn inter's with the chance of rain? Did he call it, i wonder? Then they didn't maximise his chances by fuelling him longer so that had he continued the fight with Lewis he could have gone longer. Why did Ferrari get it so wrong? Was Ross looking down the pitlane and trying not to choke on his banana through laughter?

Heidfeld was awesome. Passing two cars in one move, twice.

Great to see Massa finding his old form again. I was begining to get worried for him.

Kubica isn't a robot after all. He is actually fallible.

Did anyone else groan when Lewis was reminded not to do an unthinkable doughnut? Engine preservation, bah!

The best race this year, Lewis's best race ever. And it all happened fifteen miles away from my sofa. Splendid.

Great analysis as usual..I agree!

Lewis lapped Kimi and Nando and was 68 secs ahead of 2nd place Nick - fact!

As for Kimi and Nando's gamble on worn inters, that was a school boy error, as Martin Brundle correctly pointed out that worn inters are terrible on any kind of rain due to loss of tyre temperature. There was also a prediction of imminent rain so why Kimi, in particular, chose the worn inters was especially puzzling as Nando's lack of pace should have been used as a barometer for their relative performance.

Kovy showed you all why he will never challenge for a WDC. The guy has one lap pace, but zero race pace. He should have won the race today and his pace on a lighter car to Lewis was perhaps the telling difference between the 2 drivers - James Allen commented that Lewis claimed to be missing Alonso for the inter team rivalry...I can see what he means.

Ferrari have the car and the drivers to win the WDC - They're only problem is the formidable challenge of Lewis and, unless they focus their energies on one of their drivers they're in danger of losing out.

Things change.

*rubs hands*

this will be a good race

Just thought - this will be good for making the championship even tighter too.

Kubica and Massa in 9th and 10th are positions 1 and 2 in the WDC right now. Kimi and Hamilton have a golden oportunity to get back on par - I wonder who will make the most of the oportunity and who will manage most damage control from 9th / 10th on the grid.

One more ingredient - and there's a good chance of it......RAIN

I couldn't have dreamt for a 3 way tie at the top of the WDC - great stuff.

The podium 3 all had outstanding drives today.

Hamilton drove extremely well - great start and then settled into the wet conditions very well - only a little off track incident - but really handled the conditions beautifully.

Heidfeld did great too - some lovely passes and great pace in the second half of the race - some nice overtaking too.

Barichello - wonderful to see him do so well - from 16th to 2nd is a real achievement.

You're so right!

If the track had dryed now Kimi and Nando would be laughing but we saw a perfect and impresive race from Hamilton which is probably his best race. I think Ferrari-Kimi must be worried and Massa will be Ferrari's 2nd driver again. That or they could have two 2nd drivers. ;)

Ferrari have no reason to worry about, we won't be seeing races like this one the rest of the season, I mean with this condition I know Ferrari as a team have been doing silly mistakes but even with thoses mistakes they have both driver tied in the lead of the championship, they still have the fastest car and two very fast driver so they have what it takes to win the both titles as they are going to do without any doubt, Mclaren should be worried as I thought this was going to be a difficult race for Ferrari to keep the pace with them but that wasn't the case only the rain and their desicion to keep the worn tire stopped Ferrari from winning this race right now there is noone to stop Kimi from winning the WDC again I think Massa wasted his chances to fight for the title today, his only hope was to be ahead of Kimi in the championship so now Ferrari is going to give full support to the number one driver and that is Kimi.

[quote name='dribbler' post='258889' date='Jul 6 2008, 04:51 PM']Great to see Massa finding his old form again. I was begining to get worried for him.[/quote]
:clap3: Gold! :lol:

Yeah well Kimi said it was the team's choice - as you would expect from him. With Alonso, I don't know but it seems a huge gamble for surely at best a couple of tenths per lap. If it rained at any time during that stint he'd be screwed and you could see huge rain clouds overhead.

I think all the teams were expecting rain, but didn't expect it to last long, I think the teams were caught out by the amount of rain. Many of the teams played it safe and it worked, fair enough. However, I don't mind seeing teams take a gamble, it all adds to the fun.

Also, Kimi was catching Lewis at more than 2/10s per lap towards the end of the first stint and worn inters are meant to be pretty decent on a drying track. However, as I say, I can understand Alonso's gamble more than Kimi's.

As for Kimi and Nando's gamble on worn inters, that was a school boy error, as Martin Brundle correctly pointed out that worn inters are terrible on any kind of rain due to loss of tyre temperature. There was also a prediction of imminent rain so why Kimi, in particular, chose the worn inters was especially puzzling as Nando's lack of pace should have been used as a barometer for their relative performance.

I'm sorry, but I disagree on schoolboy error. It was a calculated gamble that didn't work, that's all. The inters were terrible due to the amount of rain that fell, but if it had only been a light shower they would have been in good shape when the track dried.

Kovy showed you all why he will never challenge for a WDC. The guy has one lap pace, but zero race pace. He should have won the race today and his pace on a lighter car to Lewis was perhaps the telling difference between the 2 drivers - James Allen commented that Lewis claimed to be missing Alonso for the inter team rivalry...I can see what he means.

I think Heikki will get it together. He has been showing glimpses of what he's about, he's just got to bring it all together. Admittedly, yesterday I expected him to do better in the rain, as he has done before, but he's allowed to have an off-race in the wet. He'll come good.

You're so right!

If the track had dryed now Kimi and Nando would be laughing but we saw a perfect and impresive race from Hamilton which is probably his best race. I think Ferrari-Kimi must be worried and Massa will be Ferrari's 2nd driver again. That or they could have two 2nd drivers. ;)

:lol:

I think all the teams were expecting rain, but didn't expect it to last long, I think the teams were caught out by the amount of rain. Many of the teams played it safe and it worked, fair enough. However, I don't mind seeing teams take a gamble, it all adds to the fun.

Also, Kimi was catching Lewis at more than 2/10s per lap towards the end of the first stint and worn inters are meant to be pretty decent on a drying track. However, as I say, I can understand Alonso's gamble more than Kimi's.

Yeah well who knows? I thought Kimi was catching Lewis mainly because Lewis hadn't conserved his tyres, but I must admit his tyres looked less worn than Kimi's when they pitted. Usually, though, Lewis would destroy his quicker.

Yeah well who knows? I thought Kimi was catching Lewis mainly because Lewis hadn't conserved his tyres, but I must admit his tyres looked less worn than Kimi's when they pitted. Usually, though, Lewis would destroy his quicker.

Maybe that's what they were gambling on.

Very good race, but it seemed that the tension was building throughout the race just to be the most boring in the last 10 laps! I'd rather the other way around, yet compared to most races this year it was thrilling.

Hamilton outclassed most drivers today and some drivers seemed to return to former ways; Massa, Webber...

Good call by the Honda boys to put extreme wets on, Button was going three to four seconds a lap faster before he made a mistake, though credit for getting out of another drivers way quickly when he had spun and congratulating Rubens on his performance - not seen often in today's F1.

Rubens drove very well in the latter stint, not pushing too much to cause an error and undo all the hard work.