Clicky

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

la force supreme des mclaren

Donington Park To Host British Gp From 2010

The British Grand Prix will leave Silverstone and move to Donington Park from 2010, the FIA announced on Friday.

After months of speculation about whether or not Silverstone would retain the race, Donington Park has moved to complete a deal to secure the future of the event.

FIA President Max Mosley said: "After many years of patient but fruitless negotiation with the BRDC, we are delighted that Bernie has nevertheless been able to ensure that the British Grand Prix will keep its place on the Formula One World Championship calendar.

"We understand that the development programme planned for Donington will achieve the very high standards we and FOM expect from a modern F1 circuit. Finally, British Formula One fans will get the Grand Prix venue they deserve."

Bernie Ecclestone, FOM President, added: "Finally the uncertainty is over. A contract has been signed with Donington Park and the future of the British Grand Prix is now secure.

"We wanted a world class venue for Formula One in Britain, something that the teams and British F1 fans could be proud of. The major development plans for Donington will give us exactly that. A venue that will put British motor sport back on the map.

"I am sorry that we could not have helped Silverstone to raise the money to carry out the circuit improvements and run Formula One. I believe that the government should have supported them which would have cost probably less than .002% of the government's commitment for the Olympic Games."

----------------------------------------------

I'm very sad to see Silverstone go..................gutted. one of the greatest racing circuits of all time.......

Is not Donnington more for bikes?

Yes, but then again, no. It'll be a good race at Donington, nothing wrong with a change.

On the one hand I'm happy that there will still be a British GP, but on the other hand I'm outraged.

Donington? Why not just have F1 in my back garden! To revamp Donington to F1 standards is going to take much much more than giving Silverstone a few upgrades.

Plus, Silverstone is the home of British motorsport. I've been there, the roads in Silverstone village are all named after famous racing drivers, there are F1 teams based nearby, there are campsites for miles around, its tradition, and its a great circuit!

Bernie keeps banging on about the facilities for the fans etc. I've been to Silverstone several times and I've enjoyed it, the facilities are fine. Yes its crowded, but surely thats the same at all sporting events? Apart from that, everything was great!

Donington has some big name behind them.

Maybe some american, arab or russian billionaire investor ?!

Besides all the 3 Grand Prix races held at here were great.

Who could forget the triumph of the great Rosemeyer in 37 or the triumph of the great Nuvolari in 38 or the triumph of the great Senna in 93 ?!

142281937_donington_rosemeyer.jpg

Auto-Union-Type-D-Tazio-Nuvolari-1938-Grand-Prix-at-Donington-Park-1024x768.jpg

Senna-Prost_1993_Donington_01_PHC.jpg

Bollocking hell!!!! How old are you???? :lol:

DOF's not going to answer that one Paul!

Though I am intrigued DOF, c'mon, for a car-lover-but-driver-hater, where do we get this from?........

Who could forget the triumph of the great Rosemeyer in 37 or the triumph of the great Nuvolari in 38 or the triumph of the great Senna in 93 ?!

Only kidding DOF, you watch your blood pressure fella :P

As for Donnington over Silverstone, bring it on. The (full) track as it is now is superb and has the potential to provide better spectator viewing (parts of the circuit being in a bowl), and if Herr Herrrmannnn Winkletinkle doesn't go lose the plot I'll bet he'll make a great job of utilising the nature of the land. Silverstone's boring in comparison.

I didn't think that Donnington had the money that Bernie wanted?? Even less money put together than the BRDC?? But at least we're gonna be having one after 2009!

I think Donnigton will be better and faster than Silverstone... But if someone could educate me on the number of overtaking areas in Donnington vs. Silverstone...

Glad to see the British G.P. will be retained, but Donnington? WTF? They must be going to have some major upgrades happening as its one boring track now.

Well Donnington has a great motor racing museum, well it did back in the 90's maybe thats the drawcard???

I think Donnigton will be better and faster than Silverstone... But if someone could educate me on the number of overtaking areas in Donnington vs. Silverstone...

just wait untill like a week from now when it is announced that Tilke will do the redesign. the all we get is another crap track.

Tilke should have quit while he was ahead with Sepang

But Tilke tracks according to some statistics I've seen do provide (most of them) more overtakings.

The Istanbul Park is actually a great modern track witch humiliates Monaco, Hungaroring, Imola, Magny-Cours.

And the Bahrein circuit had the most overtakings in the days of the tire war, electronics and unrestricted engines.

just wait untill like a week from now when it is announced that Tilke will do the redesign. the all we get is another crap track.

Tilke should have quit while he was ahead with Sepang

I don't think the racing has been worse on Tilke tracks - it's been worse in recent years (in terms of overtaking) on all tracks. At the time Sepang was built the cars overtaking ability hadn't been completely destroyed by ##### (Fill in your favourite scape-goat here). As Tilke's latest designs have come into being racing in general has become more boring. Though these two things happened at the same time, I would argue that they are unrelated.

But Tilke tracks according to some statistics I've seen do provide (most of them) more overtakings.

The Istanbul Park is actually a great modern track witch humiliates Monaco, Hungaroring, Imola, Magny-Cours.

And the Bahrein circuit had the most overtakings in the days of the tire war, electronics and unrestricted engines.

Exactly.

I think Tilke's a great designer. Once we get back to slicks and less aero bits and pieces messing up the air for cars behind, we should see his tracks used as they should be.

The problem I have with Tilke tracks is that in the end they are all the same, long strait, hard braking point, 90% of the overtaking will take place there. Then you get one fast sweeper and the rest is mindless medium speed corners that never bring anything.

If you look at the really great tracks (the ones I am going to use are Spa, Suzuka, the old Hockenheim, and Interlagos) they all have something that made them unique.

Spa, almost every part of that track is built perfectly, when you drive it you feel like you are going somewhere and not just driving in a lopsided circle that and its elevation changes make it the greatest track on earth.

Suzuka, again, there are fast sweepers, long straits, and there are overtaking spots, it winds and its fun as hell to drive.

Hockenheim, the old one had character, blasting through the trees and then into the motordrome. being able to hear the distant rumbling of the cars when they were in the woods was amazing.

Interlagos, I find it one of the great tracks because like the other tracks it isnt this cookie cutter form. I wish they would still race on the old layout with the two long straits.

Where is Donington anyway? Is it in Leicestershire?

Is it North or South of Silverstone?

Yep, and North East (I think).

I'm just happy we have still got a British GP. Was in a restaurant on Saturday night, and the table next to us were talking about the development of Donington. Apparently, they have

Geez, it's not that big a country you know :lol:

Is not Donnington more for bikes?

Was that how Ayrton did those moves in '93?

Is you an Ostrich?

It won't happen. The GP will stay at Silverstone. Bernie loaded the gun. Now he's fired it but he's not aiming at the target. The noise of the gun has scared the BRDC.

Donington = best UK track in my opinion. However, I am devastated that it's going to be wrecked just for F1... it should be kept at Silverstone merely to preserve the amazing track we have at donington already... I'm quite defensive of it since it's my "home track". But... I wouldn't worry about it too much, no chance donington will be up to standards by 2010 - it's going to take a while to be silverstone's standards.

Donington is a third in Leicestershire a third in Derbyshire and a third in Nottinghamshire - the three counties I live in! However, I think it's adopted mainly as Derbyshire (got a Derby postcode), then Leicestershire, then Nottinghamshire