Clicky

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

cavallino

Appalling Driving Standards On Display In 2008 - Contd.

This all just goes to show that no matter how good F1 is, people always find something to complain about

For your opinions. I steer clear of personal insults. If your opinion is crap I'll call it that.

I think your opinion (in this thread) is crap, and I called it that, as have others, as you say you do too. If you regard that as a personal insult then I assume others have felt the same way when you've done it.

Wow, you did Pedantry 101 too? I said I am crap compared to an F1 driver. You know that's what I meant. But we can't resist our little pointless digs, can we?

Pedantry left me nonplussed Cav, and I really thought you meant you were crap as a driver, full-stop. So based on that I'd question your ability to judge the ability of F1 drivers in streaming wet conditions. Maybe I took it the wrong way....

I can only assume when you post garbage, and others tell you it's garbage, that you can't take it. I think you're just p!ssed because you posted crap and because you haven't acknowledged it was crap, you're getting a little bit of stick.

This all just goes to show that no matter how good F1 is, people always find something to complain about

That's how GP racing got in this mess in the first place. All these birdbrains started with this psychoanalyzing B*.

I for one am enjoying the drivers having a rough time, I dont want to see the processional lights to flag Schumi-thon that we had for so many years.

Maybe this does it for some, but not me. I was so happy when he retired, (I admit he was a brilliant driver) but I wanted to see a battle among a couple of drivers until the end of the season.

I want to see different drivers on the podium, and the championship leaders having difficulties!

Do you remember when the championship was almost settled by this time of the year? What a bore fest!! What did we have to look forward to then, who was to be second or third?

The drivers have no TC? Boo hoo! Show us how to drive!

I want more races like the one we had on Sunday.

If its your thing to see just one guy go strait from lights to flag, the there is always tractor pulling.

This race was different how from other wet races with TC ?!

This race was different how from other wet races with TC ?!

Different in that the drivers have no help whatsoever with wheel spin while accelerating around and out of corners, now they have to dare to see how much power they can put down.

This in my opinion only promotes the possibility of overtaking and (what was it called again? oh yeah) a race!

This applies to wet and dry races, the driver in front cant just stamp on the pedal and let the computer do the rest, now it is a question of driver control.

In the case of a battle when finally someone can get under the rear wing of the car in front its not just a case of out-braking your opponent, now there is the possibility that a driver and car package now can fight more in and out of the corners.

Different in that the drivers have no help whatsoever with wheel spin while accelerating around and out of corners, now they have to dare to see how much power they can put down.

This in my opinion only promotes the possibility of overtaking and (what was it called again? oh yeah) a race!

This applies to wet and dry races, the driver in front cant just stamp on the pedal and let the computer do the rest, now it is a question of driver control.

In the case of a battle when finally someone can get under the rear wing of the car in front its not just a case of out-braking your opponent, now there is the possibility that a driver and car package now can fight more in and out of the corners.

That's not really true what you're saying here. You cannot just stamp on a gas pedal in a car like that either with TC or without it. It's not like TC did everything for the driver, but it rather increases space for errors a bit. It's driver's aid not replacement. Besides if someone is F1 driver it shouldn't make much difference TC or no TC and it doens't...for most of them at least.

That's not really true what you're saying here. You cannot just stamp on a gas pedal in a car like that either with TC or without it. It's not like TC did everything for the driver, but it rather increases space for errors a bit. It's driver's aid not replacement. Besides if someone is F1 driver it shouldn't make much difference TC or no TC and it doens't...for most of them at least.

Ok maybe I could have worded it more realistically, my point is that I think that a driver just shouldnt need aids.

I want them to have as hard a time as possible!

I would not like to see Massa become World Champion with electronic aids, but if he manages to win without them...

I think we're all being rather too critical of the 'driving standards' in F1, especially of the young rookies. They have yet to find their niche, to adapt to F1 properly - granted some of them will never really make the cut of the masterclass but I'm sure gonna enjoy watching them try!

I truly believe that there is a lot more pressure on the likes of Rosberg and Piquet. Nico has seemed to have found some of his driving style and I believe on the day he is better than his father. They will no matter what always be compared to their fathers. Take for instance Damon Hill. Always referred to as 'Son of WDC Graham Hill' - that was until he found his style, and took his own championship.

I might be talking insane bulls**t, but thats what I think! :lol:

btw that one above - can anyone give me example of father and son both being top class racing drivers when the son was actually better/more succesfull?

btw that one above - can anyone give me example of father and son both being top class racing drivers when the son was actually better/more succesfull?

Hamilton?

:rolleyes:

Yes.

Ok maybe I could have worded it more realistically, my point is that I think that a driver just shouldnt need aids.

I want them to have as hard a time as possible!

Nobody should have aids...

But if the driver is having a hard time, he just might get it... :D

I think we're all being rather too critical of the 'driving standards' in F1, especially of the young rookies. They have yet to find their niche, to adapt to F1 properly - granted some of them will never really make the cut of the masterclass but I'm sure gonna enjoy watching them try!

Yup. Some of them show a lot of promise, but few (none?) are the finished article atm.

Yup. Some of them show a lot of promise, but few (none?) are the finished article atm.

Isn't Kimi the finnish article ?? Ba-bum :lol:

Your right, the rookies that we have at the moment do show a great deal of promise but apart from Lewis and Robert in recent times most are taking longer to adapt to the main game. Adding to the frustations of the teams. GP racing is a tough finishing school.

I would not like to see Massa become World Champion with electronic aids, but if he manages to win without them...

Don't worry, its not going to happen.

Nakajima?

Nobody should have aids...

But if the driver is having a hard time, he just might get it... :D

Now now, keep it clean! :D

Gilles and Jacques. Whatever you may think of Gilles was indisputably more successful taking a title where Gilles failed, scoring almost double the race wins, a title to Gilles' best WDC position of 2nd, lead more races, scored more fastest laps and took fully 9 more pole-positions. Personally I don't rate Jacques over his father, (or much at all) but then I've never entirely seen the hype around Gilles' skill anyway. Sure, he was exciting and charismatic which F1 needs badly these days but he was the lord of all over-drivers and his results and evetual fatal crash caused entirely by impatience say it all.

The third member of the Villenueve family, Jacques Sr., (Gilles' brother/JV's uncle) was the least successful of them all and rarely remembered these days, entering and failing to qualify for three races before giving up.

Well Gilles was a charge-hard-and-p**s-on-points-racing type of driver, and the equipment was never similar to the 96 and 97

Williams-Renault cars.

By today's standards he would have been heavily criticized and be less successful (rest of the field wouldn't have such appalling reliability and there's no De Crasharis )

Better? I really think thats a matter of opinion for the individual. Personally, I believe Nico to be better than his father who was perhaps the luckiest WDC in the history of the sport.

More successful? Would definitely be Alberto Ascari. His father was a pre-war driver for Alfa Romeo and his name was Antonio Ascari. Died at Montlhery in 1925.