Clicky

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

5P33D3V1L

Is It Me Or Is Formula 1 Now Missing Something?

I think what F1 been missing for the last couple of season is someone like Michael Schumacher.

This struck me during the British GP and after seeing so many drivers spin and go off that race. It was hard for me to believe if the track conditions were bad or the driving talent out there was.

When Massa spun 5 times I was continuously thinking would Schumacher spin his Ferrari in this race?

Kimi spun too so was it the car or did both drivers make mistakes?

How is it both of the big championship contenders drive so badly?

Im not saying Michael was a god, but to me he was Formula 1s benchmark. He was the man you compared everyone and everything to. Like if Raikkonen and Alonso beat him we all thought highly of both those drivers. Now he's gone theres just no one out there you could do that with.

Mosts sport has someone like Michael, like Tennis has Federer.

So I just find it hard to rate drivers these days because I just dont know who to compare who to now.

I never liked Schumacher and never have I supported him, but had a large amount of respect for him and now he's gone I cant help but miss his character. I even miss his sneaky little cheating tactics, i hated it but was all part of the drama and entertainment. Most drivers now wouldnt dare do half of what Schumi, Hunt and Senna used to do or say.

Instead, look at the positive: Schumacher has gone, and this year (and last) we have another super-close title contest, in which both Ferrari drivers are allowed to compete!

Instead, look at the positive: Schumacher has gone, and this year (and last) we have another super-close title contest, in which both Ferrari drivers are allowed to compete!

That is definitly a positive. I dont remember a championship being this close while he was around. I should sit back and enjoy really.

Schumi could spin in the wet too...infact he did it many times, just he seemed to find the run-off areas most often, recollect himself and proceed on in the race...except that time at Brazil where he (and others) couldn't make turn 3 and he ended up in the tyres.

Plus there are many other times when he screwed up royally in a wet race - like driving up the arse of DC for instance.

No, Schumi was just as fallable, and he too may well have spun off in the race. But we won't know that because he's a washed up has been and he don't race no more :P

Hmmm it was a dry sunny day the birds were singing the cars were roaring down the front straight at Indy on the friday morning practice , I watch as the cars leave pit lane and get excited seeing M. Schumacher heading out for some hot laps , he comes blastin by with that ever so schweet soundin Ferrari , as he enters turn one he's doing good , than along comes turn 2 , as he flies through the P gravel the car is shot , no more practice today . I have pix of him and his car on the flatbed as it rolls into pit lane .

To be fair he did come back out for staurday qualify P1 and won the race on sunday .

Seems to me that after the myth of the martir god/immortal/peerless Senna now we have the myth of the 0 mistakes Schumacher.

This after the guy blew away his chances at an 8th title by crashing the wall in Australia, parking at Monaco and ramming Heidfeld at Hungary (in the wet BTW).

Oh and let's not forget his brain-fade at Jerez witch terminated his hopes for the title in 1997.

The more I open my eyes the more idiot fanboys I see.

I think Michael demonstrated the ability to deliver at a high standard on a consistent basis. Because the front runners are falling short of this standard we inevitably compare. Michael was mighty, for sure but there have been rule changes since his reign and we can't underestimate what an affect these have had. I would love to think that Michael would make them all look silly but i think that's an unsophisticated argument.

Oh damn it, i'm never going to be sophisitcated anyway. Current drivers, YOU SUCK!!

I think Michael demonstrated the ability to deliver at a high standard on a consistent basis. Because the front runners are falling short of this standard we inevitably compare. Michael was mighty, for sure but there have been rule changes since his reign and we can't underestimate what an affect these have had. I would love to think that Michael would make them all look silly but i think that's an unsophisticated argument.

Oh damn it, i'm never going to be sophisitcated anyway. Current drivers, YOU SUCK!!

the last 3 races I remember with Micheal driving in the rain...(1)first he crashed, (2)then the race Button won he drove really pathetically, he's strategy was compromised with guys like Brawn and Todt, they made huge mistakes letting him out (just like Kimi) and then (3) )2006 he won the race in china, with conditions suited perfectly for the Ferrari, another 3-5 laps he would have been seriously harrased by Alonso... Plus I remember his crashing, I think at Brazil, when Frentzen won, the win was originaly given to Kimi...... Micheals's astounding wet race wins came early in his career, he was supposely mighty then.....

let's consider the facts people....

Not forgetting when he crashed in the rain in Monaco.

Not knocking Mikey as he was an awesome driver, but do find that people have incredibly selective memories....

He really was, I don't think anyone doubt that....it's just I believe we have incredibly wet race drivers presently, the top three, Alonso, Kimi and Hamilton does well in the shadow of the great man, people just fail to see that!

For me Hamilton was outstanding, and most of the other top drivers were compromised by bad team decisions.

the last 3 races I remember with Micheal driving in the rain...(1)first he crashed, (2)then the race Button won he drove really pathetically, he's strategy was compromised with guys like Brawn and Todt, they made huge mistakes letting him out (just like Kimi) and then (3) )2006 he won the race in china, with conditions suited perfectly for the Ferrari, another 3-5 laps he would have been seriously harrased by Alonso... Plus I remember his crashing, I think at Brazil, when Frentzen won, the win was originaly given to Kimi...... Micheals's astounding wet race wins came early in his career, he was supposely mighty then.....

Truer words were never spoken.

It's missing the anticipation & the unpredictability from unreliability of the 80s & 90s, that's 1 major thing, & slicks & Massa will be definately missing TC :lol::lol::lol::lol:

Just drive an Audi or a BMW, you will be sophisticated. Yamaha is not enough.

Back to topic, Just bring back the traction control and other driver aids.

He really was, I don't think anyone doubt that....it's just I believe we have incredibly wet race drivers presently, the top three, Alonso, Kimi and Hamilton does well in the shadow of the great man, people just fail to see that!

I completely agree, but then I have been watching races for the last 35 years and seen a lot come and go. Each era has its heroes but I would say that the current era is closer in terms of high class driving at a competitive level than I have seen it for a long time.

Also in the past the cars were a lot more unreliable and there were more on the track, so more opportunities for breakdowns and crashes. Even in the Schui/Hill era the cars dropped out of the race like flies on a regular basis and this is a factor that most people forget - no surprise there are less people dominating as in the past a good percentage would not end the race.

I think what F1 been missing for the last couple of season is someone like Michael Schumacher.

This struck me during the British GP and after seeing so many drivers spin and go off that race. It was hard for me to believe if the track conditions were bad or the driving talent out there was.

When Massa spun 5 times I was continuously thinking would Schumacher spin his Ferrari in this race?

Kimi spun too so was it the car or did both drivers make mistakes?

How is it both of the big championship contenders drive so badly?

Im not saying Michael was a god, but to me he was Formula 1s benchmark. He was the man you compared everyone and everything to. Like if Raikkonen and Alonso beat him we all thought highly of both those drivers. Now he's gone theres just no one out there you could do that with.

Mosts sport has someone like Michael, like Tennis has Federer.

So I just find it hard to rate drivers these days because I just dont know who to compare who to now.

I never liked Schumacher and never have I supported him, but had a large amount of respect for him and now he's gone I cant help but miss his character. I even miss his sneaky little cheating tactics, i hated it but was all part of the drama and entertainment. Most drivers now wouldnt dare do half of what Schumi, Hunt and Senna used to do or say.

I for one, hate to... but have to agree.

F1 could use a few pilots that show a bit of passion and personality too. They all seem so robot-like.

Hmm. I'm not sure what's missing but I know what needs to be taken away.

F1 changes.

There's a lot of new talent in F1 now. Most of the oldies are hanging up their racing boots. We just have to give it time, see what real characteristics that these rookies develop. Who's to say in fifteen/twenty years or so we won't be saying "Aw. I miss Kovalainen. One of the greats." (just an example).

But will the next generation be supporting Kovalainen Jr? Who knows. (Again, just an example!)

I think the thing that is missing is a driver who you can never count out. That is what Michael was over his 15 years. No matter how bleak the situation looked you always had to take him into account.

when it comes down to it, if you remove all the crap around his career, and look at just the pure driving talent, he knew how to handle a car better then anybody he ever drove against. Just look at him qualifying, he might be 5 tenth behind at the second sector for pole but you could never say he would not get it because he would be able to pull 7 tenth from nowhere. A driver like that is that is missing right now, some who, no matter if your a fan or not of him you have an adrenaline rush watching.

Hmm. I'm not sure what's missing but I know what needs to be taken away.

Rose tinted glasses when people looks at the past of F1?

A driver like that is that is missing right now, some who, no matter if your a fan or not of him you have an adrenaline rush watching.

I think Hamilton is bringing that to the sport

Tennis has Federer but Nadal is not far behind and Djokovic is really good too. They all have good rackets.

F1 has Alonso, Kimi, Hamilton and Kubica. They all have good rackets but their cars make a huge difference.

Not forgetting when he crashed in the rain in Monaco.

Not knocking Mikey as he was an awesome driver, but do find that people have incredibly selective memories....

I haven't said that Michael was perfect. But over a season he was pretty mistake free. The incidents you mention are over the course of many seasons. Surely what we are comparing here is a drivers ability to deliver on a consistent basis over a season. Kimi, Felipe and Lewis have made a number of mistakes in this one season alone. That's all i'm saying. I have also conceded that maybe if Michael was driving now he would be prone to the number of errors that the aforementioned guys are making due to regulation change.

My memory is working fine, i think.