Clicky

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

5P33D3V1L

Is It Me Or Is Formula 1 Now Missing Something?

They need to make the GP2 cars faster; it will prepare them better and really separate the men and women (hopefully) from the boys and girls (again, hopefully). Look at NA$CAR; the Nationwide cars are barely slower than the Sprint Cup cars, which means the Nationwide drivers get good experience to go to Cup. While only one driver (Bobby Labonte, my favorite driver of all-time) has won both the Nationwide and Sprint championships, almost all of today's front runners came from the Nationwide series. The value of Nationwide is shown by guys like Michael McDowell and David Gilliland, who were talented drivers with little or no experience in Nationwide before jumping to Cup. If the cars were about 1 or 2 seconds a lap slower instead of 6, I'd have more faith.

If GP2 cars were just 1 or 2 seconds a lap slower it I think would be a little too close for comfort for F1, and way too quick for a feeder series. F1 is always going to be a massive change even if you're coming from some really fast series, just look at Bourdais coming in from champcar (he's getting beaten by the next Michael Schumacher :lol: ). There's no way of preparing yourself for all the demands of Formula One other than experience of Formula One.

If GP2 cars were just 1 or 2 seconds a lap slower it I think would be a little too close for comfort for F1, and way too quick for a feeder series. F1 is always going to be a massive change even if you're coming from some really fast series, just look at Bourdais coming in from champcar (he's getting beaten by the next Michael Schumacher :lol: ). There's no way of preparing yourself for all the demands of Formula One other than experience of Formula One.

Silly George. Champ Car may be faster than GP2, but CCWS did not run on any of the same tracks as F1 (only Montreal, but that was back with the Lola, which was a lot slower than the DP01). If Bourdais had run the DP01 on the same tracks as F1, he would be the best prepared of all of them. Even so, you can only do so much, a decent* driver will never be outstanding. Consider this, though: a faster car would mean the best rise to the top and the worst fall to the bottom. That would help teams select deserving drivers and leave the trash where they belong.

*Probably an understatement, but I was a fan of Bobby D and the Thrill from West Hill, so what do you expect?

Silly George. Champ Car may be faster than GP2, but CCWS did not run on any of the same tracks as F1 (only Montreal, but that was back with the Lola, which was a lot slower than the DP01). If Bourdais had run the DP01 on the same tracks as F1, he would be the best prepared of all of them. Even so, you can only do so much, a decent* driver will never be outstanding. Consider this, though: a faster car would mean the best rise to the top and the worst fall to the bottom. That would help teams select deserving drivers and leave the trash where they belong.

*Probably an understatement, but I was a fan of Bobby D and the Thrill from West Hill, so what do you expect?

Silly Eric, that always happens :P Besides none of the GP2 champions are gonna be bad drivers anyway!

Silly Eric, that always happens :P Besides none of the GP2 champions are gonna be bad drivers anyway!

No, but a few of them will be a waste of space.

And what I meant was that you'd REALLY know if someone had talent, or if they were just experience (like Glock and Pantano). Guys like Piquet wouldn't have done as well...

Eric has refuted your consistent points scoring argument, but points scoring ain't why I rate Vettel, I rate him because I've seen him drive and I've seen him race. I've seen him hold off Alonso and pop out from nowhere in qualifying in a Toro Rosso and be higher than he should be, and I've seen him drive in the rain too. I didn't see any of that from Bourdais/Liuzzi/Speed. Vettel may not be a great great driver, but he's getting the job done better than any of those three ever did. Fact.

Thats also another reason why I rate the guy.

Its amazing how everyone is completely ignoring the guys age.

For what he's been able to achieve in a STR at the age of 21 is quite impressive,

To be able to hold of Fernando Alonso a 2 time champion in a inferior car is impressive.

For his impressive qualifying performances in a car that should be out in qualy 1.

His excellent ability to drive in terrible conditions.

He's 2 years younger than Hamilton, and theres a hell of alot he can learn in 2 years in F1.

Im not saying he's going to be better than Hamilton,

Im saying he has the potential.

I can definitely see him in a Ferrari or BMW very soon if he carries on to impress.

And yes from what i remembered DC took out Vettel in GBR after out qualifying him.

And obviously Webber made good use of his qualfying place ;)

I can definitely see him in a Ferrari or BMW very soon if he carries on to impress.

Dunno.... I've not seen such clear-cut evidence myself. Bit like Webber - no doubt he can be fast and has occasionally done some great things but future word champ? and worthy of a top drive? hmmmm too many other young hopefuls coming through the ranks from junior formulas.

Dunno.... I've not seen such clear-cut evidence myself. Bit like Webber - no doubt he can be fast and has occasionally done some great things but future word champ? and worthy of a top drive? hmmmm too many other young hopefuls coming through the ranks from junior formulas.

Soo it looks like its make or break for both the Red Bull Racing drivers next year :P

I do agree Vettel and Webber havent got much evidence to back up the hype.

But for some reason I well and truly believe Vettel has got something in him.

Just one of those gut instincts.