Clicky

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

wunan78

Lewis Hamilton's 'miracle' German Gp Win Praised By Schumacher

Any Comment for the below article......

Lewis Hamilton was hailed by Formula One legend Michael Schumacher after he stormed to a miracle win at the German's home track yesterday.

"That was a fantastic performance," said the seven-time world champion who had been watching from the Ferrari pitwall - and rooting for protege Felipe Massa.

A strategy error dropped Hamilton to fifth 17 laps from the chequered flag but Lewis charged past Nelson Piquet Jnr and then Mass a to snatch a remarkable victory when all had seemed lost.

With a performance to match his dream drive in the rain at Silverstone he took a four-point lead over the Brazilian in the world championship.

"It was reminiscent of some of Michael's greatest drives," said Honda technical director Ross Brawn, architect of Schumacher's glories when they worked together at Maranello.

"It was certainly on the same level as Lewis' Silverstone drive. He's had two fantastic races."

Timo Glock is certain to race in the Hungarian Grand Prix in two weeks' time despite a horror smash yesterday.

Glock was sent hurtling backwards into a concrete wall on lap 35 of the 67-lap race at Hockenheim.

Emerging out of the final corner, a section of the right rear of the car gave way. The car flew across the track, ploughing into the wall with severe force, obliterating most of it on impact.

The 26-year-old eventually clambered out, but it was clear he was in considerable pain and was taken to hospital.

Toyota chairman Tadashi Yamashina said: "Timo is fine, thankfully.

"There was no sign of any injury, but he was taken from there to hospital for precautionary checks."

I wonder if Schumi is itching to get out there and race against Hamilton...stuff getting Alonso to replace Kimi - get Schumi for a one or two year spin (alah Nikki Lauda) instead - he's on their books a nd tests the car, so why the hell not?

Oh....and it takes greatness to recognise greatness :D

Yes, interesting comments. Niki Lauda also called him "outstanding, Senna-like, unbeatable". Mika Hakkinen said that Lewis had gone through a similar learning curve to his, and is now maturing into a consistently good driver.

I would not really call it storming past Massa and Piquet. To me the two of them gave a lesson for the back markers of how to let people past when being lapped. Both of them totally opened up the inside and did not defend at all really. Massa at least did have an oh s##t moment and then tried to get the place back but it was too late.

Yes, Hamilton did have a great race and he probably would have still won

I would not really call it storming past Massa and Piquet. To me the two of them gave a lesson for the back markers of how to let people past when being lapped. Both of them totally opened up the inside and did not defend at all really. Massa at least did have an oh s##t moment and then tried to get the place back but it was too late.

Yes, Hamilton did have a great race and he probably would have still won

Indeed. Piquet himself said that there was no point in fighting Hamy when a 2nd place was more than he ever hoped for so he let him through. Even if you didn't believe Piquet, it was just pretty obvious that that was what happened.

Indeed. Piquet himself said that there was no point in fighting Hamy when a 2nd place was more than he ever hoped for so he let him through. Even if you didn't believe Piquet, it was just pretty obvious that that was what happened.

Indeed. It was unfortunate for him (in a sense) that a good strategy worked out for him and he ended up leading a race on a track where you could overtake. There plenty of other circuits where he would have been able to defend the lead, barring any mistakes.

Massa and Piquet, to a lesser extent, have been criticised for not staying on the inside at the hairpin, but I am not convinced it would have made much difference. Staying on the inside compromises your line into the hairpin and your exit speed. Whatever line you take exiting the corner, there is enough space for somebody to pass you, who has got better traction out of the corner. There was enough grip on the outside for Lewis to possibly go around them if they kept the inside line, or, more likely, start out wide and switchback to the inside, having the car in a straight line quicker and being able to put the power down sooner.

The only thing I would have liked to have seen Massa do, was to take the inside line, as he did, then just ease out enough to give him a slightly better entry into the corner, but not leave enough room to get a car inside him. Even then, I think it would hav delayed the inevitable, not prevented it. I can completely understand why Piquet didn't want to get embroiled in a fight this time.

Vettel defended from Alonso at the hairpin for a number of laps, Massa couldn't defend from Hamilton for one lap. Enough said as far as I'm concerned.

Piquet is excused on account of inexperience and need for good finishes.

Vettel defended from Alonso at the hairpin for a number of laps, Massa couldn't defend from Hamilton for one lap. Enough said as far as I'm concerned.

Piquet is excused on account of inexperience and need for good finishes.

Yes but Massa was having brake problems, as he and Ferrari said of course, so I 'll give me him the benefit of doubt this time. Anyway the Mclaren was so fast, I don't think there was a way to keep him behind!

As far as Vettel is concerned, Ferrari better make sure they sign him when he is available!

He's got some serious talent!

As far as Vettel is concerned, Ferrari better make sure they sign him when he is available!

He's got some serious talent!

I agree!

His race craft is superb for his age,

and his speed is incredible in such a slow car.

Lately he's been beating the Red Bulls consistantly!

Looks like Germanys got a new Schumacher to look forward to...?

I agree!

His race craft is superb for his age,

and his speed is incredible in such a slow car.

Lately he's been beating the Red Bulls consistantly!

Looks like Germanys got a new Schumacher to look forward to...?

Vettel just needs to know where to go and what moves to make in his career without a manager. If he can do well with that, he'll be fine.

Why was his win a miracle? Certainly was surprising how easy Hamilton seemed to find it.

Regarding the overtaking at the end of the race, I think Piquet was just obviously avoidinga potential tangle and went for second. I do, like many of you agree that Massa could and should have done a little more. He's a championship rival and should have gone to any lengths to keep him behind, even if that included taking each other out. Like Michael used to.